• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Manti' Teo's Dead Girlfriend a hoax

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Big part of it is that he goes to Notre Dame, and everyone either loves or hates Notre Dame.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Big part of it is that he goes to Notre Dame, and everyone either loves or hates Notre Dame.

I'm indifferent to ND.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I also hate the fact that this is bringing more attention to that ******* idiotic Catfish movie (OMG - people on the interweb are not who they say they are!) and its producers.

lefty 

Got to say, as obnoxious as that Nev guy is, I really enjoyed that movie. The show is cheesy, but a guilty pleasure of mine.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A legitimate news organization shouldn't tell anyone to go ************.

Anyone who actively reads Deadspin knows that they will be the last people to ever claim to be a legitimate news organization.

That a punk sports blog can do better journalism than every other "legitimate news organization" out there is more a testament to the ****** quality of journalism as a whole.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been avidly following this business since its inception. From what I have been able to gather, Manti Te'o is now claiming that he was duped by Tuiasosopu (or however you spell it), but he told his family that he had met her three years ago and that they had been together in Hawaii--I guess so they wouldn't think he was such a fool to be carried away by an exclusively on-line romance. If this is the case, he is both a fool and a liar. I would have somewhat more respect for him if he were simply one or the other.

I still suspect that he was in on the hoax. I believe it is not too uncommon for guys to fall for hoaxes and scams of that sort, but usually they are nerdy, reclusive, loser types, NOT one of the very top college football players in the country. I should think he would have an over-abundance of local talent vying for his favors--certainly too much for him to be pining over a distant, on-line girlfriend.

Another thing that strikes me as strange (assuming Te'o was gulled) is that the name "Lennay Kekua" is suggestive of her being a fellow Polynesian, yet her image looks totally haole, and indeed, the real name of the girl whose image was used is O'Meara.

The hypothesis that he is in the closet and this is a cover-up seems very plausible to me.

Although some have argued the whole business is inconsequential, he did win at least one award in which "character" was supposed to be factor--hard to justify if he is a party to this hoax.

Last edited:

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Anyone who actively reads Deadspin knows that they will be the last people to ever claim to be a legitimate news organization.

That a punk sports blog can do better journalism than every other "legitimate news organization" out there is more a testament to the ****** quality of journalism as a whole.

How is this journalism?

1. It's sports news, which is only slightly above entertainment news of which star is boning some other star.
2. It's COLLEGE sports news, which is only slightly above which off-broadway actor is boning some other off-broadway actor.

This is news that is absolutely irrelevant. Absolutely irrelevant. It has zero value. It's the worst kind of fast good garbage news. Gawker and its whole brand can go "**** itself."

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Would LabelKing say that Teo has a gay face?

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

This is news that is absolutely irrelevant. Absolutely irrelevant. It has zero value. It's the worst kind of fast good garbage news. Gawker and its whole brand can go "**** itself."

CNN had an at least four minute segment on this while I was in the gym. It was followed by an extended discussion of the Beyonce lip-syncing "scandal."

Hurray, news!

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MAN AT CENTER OF TE'O HOAX SAYS HE WAS IN LOVE
Tuisasosopo said he decided to confess to Te'o earlier this month as the hoax was unraveling because he felt he could not go any further with his own life until the truth was out.

"You've heard of recovering drug addicts? It takes a lot of courage to stand and say that," he said "To recover from homosexuality and this type of thing. Not only that, coming back to your real life, as hard as a task as that is I'm going to do all that I can to live right."

McGraw said that statement bothered him.

"I hope it's a pressure you don't put on yourself," he said.

Tuiasosopo said he killed the Kekua character on the day Te'o learned his grandmother died, following an argument with the football star.

Te'o had told Kekua he didn't need her, Tuiasosopo said.

"It hurt me," he said. "It hit me like a brick wall. I was like, 'Whoa, I've given so much into this.' And I realized right then in that moment, that I poured so much into Lennay, that I myself was getting nothing, and look what I was left with."

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/man-center-teo-hoax-says-he-was-love

Listen to his leukemia voice

http://deadspin.com/5980822/heres-r...rm-what-he-claims-is-lennays-voice-on-dr-phil

I feel very uncomfortable.

Last edited:

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Lmao. This story is at the point that I would believe any possible plot twist that might come out, regardless of how outlandish or crazy it sounded

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads