• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mafoofan struggles to buy breast wallet at Hermes . . . arises victorious!

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think you should put on an air of bigtimer status. One of my best customers sent his extremely nervous personal assistant to place a request prior to showing up personally two days later for the fitting. That's impressive, so I put through a request that I probably wouldnt have bothered with otherwise.

Anywho, Foo, I appreciate the ABP recommendation. I referred a client to them and the strap is amazing, better then the majority of OEM straps from top name watch makers. He went with a special tanning of crocodile in a dark shade of green with all of the bells and whistles and put it on an 18K Daytona.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Foo, Just out of curiosity, how did you get set on a breast wallet? Is it the elegance of the article as an accessory, or a functional choice, or some combination of the two?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TC (Houston)
Foo, Just out of curiosity, how did you get set on a breast wallet? Is it the elegance of the article as an accessory, or a functional choice, or some combination of the two?

Both. A money clip cannot hold all my cards and receipts. A bill-fold gets too bulky. A breast wallet stays slimmer while carrying all the stuff I need it to.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xiaogou
Foo,

What about SAB?

Originally Posted by gnatty8
I'm not really sure what I find more surprising, that the service in this establishment was as poor as it was, or that someone would consider paying $2000 for a breast wallet in the first place. I am certain the workmanship is very good, and the skins, top notch, but I expect one could find equal quality from a smaller artisan/shop that does not bear the burden of Hermes' global marketing overhead.

+20 Bajillion.

I guess I am too small time to envision spending $2,000 on a ******* wallet, let alone walking out without one in an alternate color if someone else was generous enough to offer to buy me one in the first place. I am still carrying the wallet I bought in 1996, and it has survived several full on Castanza incidents.

Mike

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
There is nothing in the world so sad as someone selling off all his inferior wallets to be able to afford his true grail wallet.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man walks into store during holiday season. Man leaves upset that they would not sell him a product that they did not have.

It sucks that the SA could not tactfully convey the fact that they only do custom orders for the big ballers, but at the end of the day, we have a man complaining about not being sold an item that doesn't exist. The level of entitlement is astounding.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
+20 Bajillion.

I guess I am too small time to envision spending $2,000 on a ******* wallet, let alone walking out without one in an alternate color if someone else was generous enough to offer to buy me one in the first place. I am still carrying the wallet I bought in 1996, and it has survived several full on Castanza incidents.

Mike

It never ceases to amaze me how many people visit internet forums, largely consisting of others' writings, only to not actually read anything.

I never said it was going to cost $2,000.

The entire purpose of the visit was to do a special order for a wallet in a particular color. Your choice to paint me as ungrateful or unappreciative ignores this fact, as well as the nature of marriage. "Gifts" between us are not so much the result of one spouse's generosity with his or her own money (as we share everything), but an expression of affection and caring.

I'm glad that your wallet from 1996 is still holding up, but I have no clue what that has to do with anything.

Jay

Reaction score
I can't believe such terrible service is offered at such a high-end retailer. I do remember walking into Hermes, Cartier, Louis Vuitton, etc. in Waikiki with my ex in beach clothes and receiving excellent service from SAs. I think it's very egalitarian there because they can't really size you up.

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This threak can be summarized thusly:

1. Hi, my name is
foo.gif

2. I am married to an exceptionally wealthy Jewish sugar mama whose love for the
foo.gif
(and whose credit card limit, the balances of which are happily satisfied by my father-in-law) has no bounds.

3. She spends on me - quite extravagantly - and this brings me great joy.

4. I am an intranets celebrity (c) top 5 BDRM and Rake special.

5. Sometimes, when I go out into the real world, I am mistaken for a lowly bumpkin, despite the fact that I (a) wear LH down to the underwears and (b) am an intranets celebrity.

6. Such misperception sometimes causes customer service to be less than worshipful.

7. SUB-WORSHIPFUR CUSTOMER SERVICE MAKE
foo.gif
VERY, VERY ANGRY!

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
FWIW the wallet is about $900ish on Hermes website in black. I have serious doubts that there is an $1100 up-charge for a special color. Frankly I find it appalling that you haven't considered exotic skins. Also, I'm buying a pair of $200 cashmere cable knit socks this week to wear with a pair of $300 cashmere slippers by Frette.
ffffuuuu.gif
small timers. I've carried a long wallet and just found it to be annoying. I picked up an Alligator card case at work and I've been happy with that, it was ~$500.

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
p.s. "If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it." (c) JP Morgan. I hate to say it, but the entire thing went downhill the second price was discussed. Just saying...

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
Price so far has only been an issue for people responding to this thread.

You're expecting too much of people.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I suppose I'm now included in the conversation, this whole time I've felt like I've been browsing the Hermes boutique on Madison Ave.
devil.gif
Walk through the store again while using the phrase "I'll take that" and pointing at various obnoxious luxuries, I think you'll see a dramatic change in their tone. I'm from NJ and do a much better job of shopping in NYC. While buying christmas gifts my approach was simply to say "Gift box this" and pull out my CC. One of the SA's confessed that she was seasonal help and really needed a good job while I was writing out a note to include in the box.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads