• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

help the LAST BOOMER? 59 y/o, style-challenged, which stores are trustworthy for quality, stylish clothing?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My best advice would be to find a (or several) styles/looks your interested in and then work backwards from there about what to get and where you should shop. If you're going to go a trad/ivy route advice and shopping locations are going to be very different then if you wan to go a workwear route, a modern look, or a 'sleeze' 70s look.

Smaller scale advice:
- avoid going too trim or too full cut, find the medium ground and something that flatters you. For a long time I thought bigger was better cause it hides flaws but it also makes you look like a sail. Too skinny can do the opposite
- figure out how color combos work and play into that
- find a 'focal' piece to center an outfit around and build out from there (i.e. 'I want to wear this cool field jacket, how can I style this into 2-3 different distinctive outfits')
- focus on silhouette and how it looks rather than perseverating on quality or the best 'value'
- don't be afraid to thrift stuff, its a low cost way to try something out that might not stick
- Derek Guy (a former poster here, now active on Twitter) has often written about how 'clothing is a language' and learning how things work with each other to make a coherent outfit that conveys a message

This is all such fantastic advice. Also: look at different outfits (here, Instagram, lookbooks, blogs) and try a lot of things on. Many or even most of them will not resonate with you -- that's fine. But try to be explicit about why you like (or don't like) a given outfit or item of clothing. The more clearly you can articulate that, the better. It's all about developing your own eye and aesthetic preferences.

Sometimes people post here asking "I bought this [insert item of clothing] but I don't know what to wear it with, help!" My advice is never buy clothing without a clear idea of how you will integrate it into your wardrobe. Don't buy things just because the price was really good.

Also, people often post questions like "what is the best pair of khakis?" Asking that question means, again, that you haven't thought about what style and silhouette you're going for.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also: look at different outfits (here, Instagram, lookbooks, blogs) and try a lot of things on. Many or even most of them will not resonate with you -- that's fine. But try to be explicit about why you like (or don't like) a given outfit or item of clothing.

One of the more helpful things I’ve done is start a Google Drive with inspiration pics of outfits I like so I can refer to them later if I want to try and find something similar or construct a similar outfit.

If you’ll indulge a convoluted metaphor - I’m a good cook, I can follow a recipe or YouTube clip and replicate dishes that are pretty damn good. I understand the basics and simple tricks: how to dice an onion properly, the benefit of what browning meat does, or that adding acid can be that little something you didn’t know you needed to take a dish to the next level. But I’m not inventing dishes or recipes from scratch wholesale . I’m not that educated or talented to do that.

Take the same approach to clothes, follow the experts and try and recreate their looks and refine to your own tastes and ability. Gradually you’ll pick up little techniques you can port to other outfits, etc.

rockwind1

Reaction score
This is all such fantastic advice. Also: look at different outfits (here, Instagram, lookbooks, blogs) and try a lot of things on. Many or even most of them will not resonate with you -- that's fine. But try to be explicit about why you like (or don't like) a given outfit or item of clothing. The more clearly you can articulate that, the better. It's all about developing your own eye and aesthetic preferences.

Sometimes people post here asking "I bought this [insert item of clothing] but I don't know what to wear it with, help!" My advice is never buy clothing without a clear idea of how you will integrate it into your wardrobe. Don't buy things just because the price was really good.

Also, people often post questions like "what is the best pair of khakis?" Asking that question means, again, that you haven't thought about what style and silhouette you're going for.
I can resonate with that, and thanks! I am going to stay true to my blue collar roots although I am living in a upper middle class world in some ways. i was mostly ( i think) asking about good and high quality brands of the items i am going to buy, assuming they fit my body. and good online sources in case i find something locally but not in my size!

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can resonate with that, and thanks! I am going to stay true to my blue collar roots although I am living in a upper middle class world in some ways. i was mostly ( i think) asking about good and high quality brands of the items i am going to buy, assuming they fit my body. and good online sources in case i find something locally but not in my size!

so I take that you are thinking mostly along the lines of a workwear or maybe Western aesthetic rather than Ivy/prep or sleek European. If so, I'd definitely check out Polo Ralph Lauren (not the outlet stores) at least to get some ideas -- both PRL and RRL lines.

Online - I like Standard and Strange, No Man Walks Alone, Division Road, Canoe Club as retailers that each carry multiple brands. Warning, if you're used to Costco/Kirkland pricing, these will be shocking at first. But check them out, get some ideas.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you’ll indulge a convoluted metaphor - I’m a good cook, I can follow a recipe or YouTube clip and replicate dishes that are pretty damn good. I understand the basics and simple tricks: how to dice an onion properly, the benefit of what browning meat does, or that adding acid can be that little something you didn’t know you needed to take a dish to the next level. But I’m not inventing dishes or recipes from scratch wholesale . I’m not that educated or talented to do that.

Take the same approach to clothes, follow the experts and try and recreate their looks and refine to your own tastes and ability. Gradually you’ll pick up little techniques you can port to other outfits, etc.
I feel much the same way. There are a few people who are so talented and intuitive in cooking, dressing, music, etc that they don't seem to need much grounding in the 'classics'. But most people benefit from understanding the classics before branching out. I play the piano for fun, and I can't imagine going straight to jazz/blues improvisation without a solid base in being able to play jazz standards and understanding at least a little theory around chords and chord progressions.

rockwind1

Reaction score
so I take that you are thinking mostly along the lines of a workwear or maybe Western aesthetic rather than Ivy/prep or sleek European. If so, I'd definitely check out Polo Ralph Lauren (not the outlet stores) at least to get some ideas -- both PRL and RRL lines.

Online - I like Standard and Strange, No Man Walks Alone, Division Road, Canoe Club as retailers that each carry multiple brands. Warning, if you're used to Costco/Kirkland pricing, these will be shocking at first. But check them out, get some ideas.
well,, I am definitely going to get some Ivy/prep stuff, My son goes to a fancy back east college so I need to look good when visiting. plus set an example. I initially started this fashion path to help him wear non-nerd clothes, then I thought,, "hey, I should lead by example"!!

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am definitely going to get some Ivy/prep stuff

For Ivy/Prep stuff, aside from the big names you can check out:

- Spier and Mackay (all online)
- Kent Wang (all online, sizes run very small check measurements)
- Juniors (store in Philadelphia, online presence)
- O'Connell's (store in Buffalo, online presence)
- J Press (store in NYC, online presence)
- Ben Silver (store in Charleston, online presence)
- Crowley Vintage (vintage store in DUMBO Brooklyn, no online aside from an IG account)
- Alden (heritage style shoes)

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I were you, I'd check out the Portuguese Flannel offerings at NoManWalksAlone. They're excellent quality and very reasonably priced. NoMan also has a good selection of 3sixteen merchandise, plus some goodies from Wythe. As I recall, the lead designed at Wythe used to work for Ralph Lauren. If you like the RL clothes, definitely try Wythe.

If you need anything for cold weather, O'Connell's will be perfect. The sales staff is very knowledgeable and helpful over the phone. Junior's in Philly is also terrific and lots of reasonably-prived, high-quality options. The owner, Glenn, is very helpful.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
well,, I am definitely going to get some Ivy/prep stuff, My son goes to a fancy back east college so I need to look good when visiting. plus set an example. I initially started this fashion path to help him wear non-nerd clothes, then I thought,, "hey, I should lead by example"!!
Prepare for severe sticker shock of you plan on following the advice herein…..enjoy the journey!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads