• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for Grenadine ties

michael_legeek

Reaction score
I picked up a Turnbull & Asser navy grenadine the other day which looks very nice, to my relatively grenadine-inexperieinced eyes, at least.

I've seen those CT grenadines, and was fairly taken with the silver one, the royal being more vivid than I could see myself wearing.

Thomas Pink also had a grenadine in a distinctive weave (again, to my inexperienced eyes) that I thought was appealing.

Johnny24

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ianiceman
Thanks for the thoughts Johnny. I just took a look at Hober's website and wish I didn't. Grenadines in every colour you can think of is way too tempting. I know $80 is not bad for a grenadine but more than I've ever paid for a tie, existing record is $60 for the CT ones.

I could easily go for half a dozen of his ties at least. On your advice would include a dark or midnight navy which would bridge the black/navy indecision. Damn you!
laugh.gif

Hobers site is my general stop for tie Appreciation, hahaha. His wedding ties and other items are fantastic as well. I have a few items on his site that are on my all time favorite tie list.

I understand your pickle with going beyond your usual ceiling for spending, but I justify it to myself this way...Ties like that never or at least very rarely go on sale (and if it happens like at J Press, it is only a few bucks off anyway) and they are top, top quality. If you care for them they will last a long time, and be will worth the money. Not mention they are hand making that tie for you to your request, something like that is pure art, and $80 is pretty cheap for that level of service. I don't know how you spend you money but think of all the things you have wasted $80 on that you don't even have today.......

You can always find quality suits on sale (I just picked up a $1500 Hickey Freeman Glen Plaid today for $$275) but things like ties, and shoes are where I would spend close to or full retail because those are the items that will dress up even an average quality suit. You can have a top of the line suit and if you are wearing a crappy tie and/or goofy shoes it will look bad. If you are wearing an average suit that has some basic tailoring and a great tie and shoes, it will look much better.

As for the midnight blue or dark navy my solution is to get standard navy, midnight and black....
tongue.gif
Seriously though, I would go for basic navy and basic black at first, then delve into the midnight navy tie zone later on. Personally I love midnight blue (I own a vintage midnight navy tux with black facings that is my prize sartorial item), but I have some shirts that are black checks or stripes that work well with gray and charcoal and I would not pair them with a midnight tie if I had the option to use black. The black also goes with my funeral suit that is deep black with a faint midnight navy pinstripe in it. Although the suit has a faint midnight stripe, a midnight tie to me just looked a touch off with it for some reason, maybe because I think the majority of ones attire at those sort of events should be black, especially accessories but that is just me. I am sure the midnight tie would bring out the stripes correctly if you were to be wearing the black suit to a club or art gallery in the evening, which some will say is the only acceptable location for black suit use outside of a funeral.

I also have the standard navy because again it is very adaptable to my lighter gray, and navy suits. With those midnight would come off as too close to black for my liking if I were wearing a stripe or check shirt in blue, pink, navy or a solid pale blue or pink shirt with brown shoes.

I hope that helps a little.

Johnny24

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slickman
I got the midnight blue grenadine from hober and its the perfect shade, dark but you can still see the blue, also I would get a light grey as a second choice, both really versatile and hober makes quite insane ties

Glad it looks great, I like it very much it just wouldn't be my first pick or my concession between black and navy for the personal reasons I mentioned above. Given that I have met my navy and black needs I may look to this as my next dark tie though. Thanks for the input.

Matt S

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KObalto
The navy certainly looks like a Grenadine to me. Similar weave to the J Press, etc.

It is just a more fine knit. The back end is square! From what I can see it isn't folded and lined like a grenadine tie, and the neck area is reinforced like on every other knit tie. Other than that I can tell the silk is indeed knit, no woven in a grenadine leno weave. Is there elasticity to the tie? Grenadines do not stretch like a knit tie does. Need I say more?

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You just have to suck it up and justify the cost. +1 on the fact that grenadines don't go on sale much, and there isn't much of a used market for them. The consolation is that they are very unique, and they will stand out among all the generic ties out there. Get the right width, and you'll get years of mileage from a solid grenadine. Money well spent.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt S
It is just a more fine knit. The back end is square! From what I can see it isn't folded and lined like a grenadine tie, and the neck area is reinforced like on every other knit tie. Other than that I can tell the silk is indeed knit, no woven in a grenadine leno weave. Is there elasticity to the tie? Grenadines do not stretch like a knit tie does. Need I say more?

Interesting. Thanks for the education!

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nvm

vfwlubbe

Reaction score
For the record, here is a list of brands that make (or used to make) the larger weave grenadine ties:

Battistoni Roma
Ben Silver
Benson & Clegg 'Lace'
Brioni
Dege & Skinner
Dion
Domenico Spano
Dormeuil
Drakes
Giorgio Armani
Harvie & Hudson
Hilditch & Key
Kent Wang
Lawrence of Warwick UK
Marinella
Mountain & Sackett
New & Lingwood
Paul Stuart
Sam Hober
Thomas Pink 'Astaire'
TM Lewin
Turnbull & Asser

Here are some brands that make (or used to make) the smaller weave grenadine ties:

Brioni
Charles Tyrwhitt
Drakes
Hickey
J. Press
M. Bardelli
Maus & Hoffman
Oxxford
Paul Stuart
Polo/Ralph Lauren Black Label
Udeshi
Valentino
Winston Tailors/Chipp 2

Here is a list of brands that I've seen mentioned as making grenadine ties, though I have not been able to confirm them. They could be either type of grenadine, or someone might have been confused. These brands may just make a textured tie, or some people confuse grenadine ties for knit ties. If anyone has a picture of a grenadine they can post by these manufacturers I would appreciate it:

Altea
Andover Shop
Brooks Brothers
Budd of Piccadilly
Carroll & Co
Charvet
Holland & Sherry
Holliday & Brown
Prada
Rhodes & Brousse
Richel
Does this match?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-01-28 at 00.56.50.png
    Screen Shot 2024-01-28 at 00.56.50.png
    960.2 KB · Views: 67
  • Screen Shot 2024-01-28 at 00.57.11.png
    Screen Shot 2024-01-28 at 00.57.11.png
    536.6 KB · Views: 68

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads