• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Is reverse calf also called nubuck?

No.

Nubuck is the grainside out. The grain is "buffed" (sanded) to create a velvet-y "nap"--similar to suede but much finer.

Reverse calf is the leather turned fleshside out. The grain surface is still present but hidden. This is important because a great deal of the strength of a piece of leather is in the grain. (Nubuck is slightly less strong after the buffing.)

Split suede (which means most suede) has no grain surface.

--

Last edited:

Revilo

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a re-post but god damn it they are beautiful! Yohei Fukuda penny greatness!

Picture of a pair of bespoke shoes from Mr. Fukuda's tumblr

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How fascinating! A MEN`S EX booth at PITTI!! :)

Men`s EX FB

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

is Mens Ex is the premier Japanese menswear magazine? Are there others that also come in English?

MEN`S EX comes in Japanese only. I`ve been a loyal reader for some years, but I predict THE RAKE Japan to quickly overtake the title as the best Japanese menswear magazine. RAKE Japan`s editor-in-chief Matsuo-san used to be Men`s EX`s editor in chief.

RAKE Japan will be posting an article on 10-Best Japanese Shoemakers in the next edition (on sale later this month). I`ve been told the article will also appear on the English counterparts. Can`t wait!

Last edited:

bboysdontcryy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

MEN`S EX comes in Japanese only. I`ve been a loyal reader for some years, but I predict THE RAKE Japan to quickly overtake the title as the best Japanese menswear magazine. RAKE Japan`s editor-in-chief Matsuo-san used to be Men`s EX`s editor in chief.

RAKE Japan will be posting an article on 10-Best Japanese Shoemakers in the next edition (on sale later this month). I`ve been told the article will also appear on the English counterparts. Can`t wait!

Wonder if the magazine has different content in different countries, or is it uniform throughout.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Interesting. I read somewhere recently that LEON sells more copies than Men's Ex but I personally prefer Men's Ex as a) it features menswear from around the world and is not nearly so Italo-centric as LEON, and b) Men's Ex has quite a lot of interesting info on clothing construction and history and so on, whereas LEON is really more of a series of advertorials or features on how to be a "choiwarui oyaji" (cool/bad boy older guy).

I didn't see any copies of the Rake Japan when I was there in December-January - has it started circulation as yet?

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel like Men's Ex has gotten less interesting/more mainstream of late. Maybe the change in editor?

I spotted Rake Japan, it looks like a bargain at about 950yen, although I can't really read japanese so the international edition may be worthwhile at 3x the price...

mezentius

Reaction score
Hi friends;

I am currently in Tokyo for a few days, looking to purchase some nice RTW shoes. Where would be a good place to try on a few of these makers? Budget is flexible, starting around perhaps 50000 yen, but willing to go up further. Thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads