• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacques Marie Mage - Wolves, Obnoxious Acetate and The American Dream

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, brand new here and brand new to the brand. Was introduced via Succession.. haha. I've since tried on a few pairs while on a trip to Seattle. Right now I'm between the Plaza Beluga (or Agar) and the Kane in Agar. Both frames are great, but I've only tried on the Plazas so far. Does anyone happen to have both frames for comparison purposes? Would love to hear from you! Thanks!

Welcome. Can't add much to the convo about those two models other than don't buy them on ebay or another resale site when you do decide. For some reason the Kaine and Plaza are faked extremely often, and it's often hard to tell

Mr Jay

Reaction score
Pins are not for aesthetics but rather they have function in high end spectacles to hold the hinges for increased support than just sticking the temples inside.

Actually, on JMM they're just for aesthetics. The front pin isn't attached to the hinge so it's not functional - you can see it on clear acetate.

This also applies to other high-end brands like Chrome Hearts or Matsuda but funnily enough not to Ray-Ban 🤷‍♂️

Screenshot 2023-06-18 at 09.05.06.png

AlphonseB

Reaction score
Yo guys,
I got a brand new Jacques Marie Mage Devaux, never worn. Ultrasonic bath outlet.

Attachments

• IMG_1446.JPG
    IMG_1446.JPG
    297.8 KB · Views: 178

Ferrycw

Reaction score
Welcome. Can't add much to the convo about those two models other than don't buy them on ebay or another resale site when you do decide. For some reason the Kaine and Plaza are faked extremely often, and it's often hard to tell
If it’s hard to tell, what’s the worth to buy the gen?

Im new here. Just ordered a Molino Bloodstone from Spain, and will take some time to be arrived in my country. So for now, I really cant tell the greatness of JMM, although some people said it’s the top notch of sunglasses..

swf999

Reaction score
Actually, on JMM they're just for aesthetics. The front pin isn't attached to the hinge so it's not functional - you can see it on clear acetate.

This also applies to other high-end brands like Chrome Hearts or Matsuda but funnily enough not to Ray-Ban 🤷‍♂️

View attachment 1976343
Congrats. These are 800$ for glasses then lol.

I have spectacles from an independent maker from Scotland Banton Frameworks. Theirs base-plate of a hinge goes to rest before it's permanently fastened with rivets providing a lateral support for riveting which prevent the hinge from moving around as the rivets are peened.

Moreover ranting about how pins are different or oh how not having arrowhead pins makes them bothered brings my exact point I wrote to him...

So sounds like some people are just uncomfortable that change in pins now doesn't allow them to show off their 800$ glasses or they have nothing else to do in their lives and ranting some drivel.

Enjoy that can afford to wear 800$ glasses. Many people in this world aren't fortunate to even save $5 a month..

Last edited:

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey @ColdinMN thanks for posting. Those Shibusawa look like they might be within the look that I prefer so I’ll be keeping an eye out for them as and when they become more widely available. I renew my constant gripe that while it’s understandable that black and brown are going to be the most versatile coloured frames, those of us with several pairs who have black and browns fully covered are hoping for something more adventurous, so we’ll see what they put out.

As for the pin thing - I like the arrowheads and have always been into Native American culture so I usually admire most of the oblique Native American reference points. Hammers / hatchets not so much, but if they were tomahawks I might be persuaded!

I was browsing a pair of Cutler and Gross recently and they had dagger pins on the front frame which look kinda cool too.

Generally I like the details when they hit the sweet spot between setting them apart from say RayBans with three pin dots, without being obnoxious like the Chanel double C badges that were popular a few years back.

verver

Reaction score

I have spectacles from an independent maker from Scotland Banton Frameworks. Theirs base-plate of a hinge goes to rest before it's permanently fastened with rivets providing a lateral support for riveting which prevent the hinge from moving around as the rivets are peened.

Moreover ranting about how pins are different or oh how not having arrowhead pins makes them bothered brings my exact point I wrote to him...

So sounds like some people are just uncomfortable that change in pins now doesn't allow them to show off their 800$ glasses or they have nothing else to do in their lives and ranting some drivel.

Enjoy that can afford to wear 800$ glasses. Many people in this world aren't fortunate to even save $5 a month..
This is all not that serious

ColdinMN

Reaction score
Hey @ColdinMN thanks for posting. Those Shibusawa look like they might be within the look that I prefer so I’ll be keeping an eye out for them as and when they become more widely available. I renew my constant gripe that while it’s understandable that black and brown are going to be the most versatile coloured frames, those of us with several pairs who have black and browns fully covered are hoping for something more adventurous, so we’ll see what they put out.

As for the pin thing - I like the arrowheads and have always been into Native American culture so I usually admire most of the oblique Native American reference points. Hammers / hatchets not so much, but if they were tomahawks I might be persuaded!

I was browsing a pair of Cutler and Gross recently and they had dagger pins on the front frame which look kinda cool too.

Generally I like the details when they hit the sweet spot between setting them apart from say RayBans with three pin dots, without being obnoxious like the Chanel double C badges that were popular a few years back.
@Thin White Duke If I remember correctly, the Shibusawa frames came in Noir, Agar, and Hickory. No variation from the standard black and browns. The frame size is 49-22, temple probably around 145-150. Agar and Hickory had the exposed temple hardware, Noir did not. Same with the Moscova frames.

I also like a little decorative hardware on or in my frames. I’m admittedly on the conservative side but I like the subtle accents on a frame, including front or side rivets, and in the case of JMM the exposed temple hardware. But not all accents are the same. Like you, I have a sweet spot for the accents. Some I like, some I don’t think I could tolerate (like the hatchet on the Quentin frames - beautiful as they are). Everyone is different that way I suppose. That’s a good thing.

Except for the LF frames, I don’t think the accents shout out a $800 price tag. I personally like JMM because of the quality and modern takes on what seem to be classic shapes. As the price of JMM frames continues to increase, I find myself exploring other brands that are made in Japan. Again, I could be totally wrong here. I’m not into high fashion at all, JMM is about as luxurious as I get.

Lastly, there seems to be more hateful speech here lately. I’m not sure why. Makes me a little nervous posting on here now. I don’t share much, and hopefully have not offended anyone or broken any unwritten rules. I’m just trying to learn more about the brand and share what little I know.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Thin White Duke If I remember correctly, the Shibusawa frames came in Noir, Agar, and Hickory. No variation from the standard black and browns. The frame size is 49-22, temple probably around 145-150. Agar and Hickory had the exposed temple hardware, Noir did not. Same with the Moscova frames.

I also like a little decorative hardware on or in my frames. I’m admittedly on the conservative side but I like the subtle accents on a frame, including front or side rivets, and in the case of JMM the exposed temple hardware. But not all accents are the same. Like you, I have a sweet spot for the accents. Some I like, some I don’t think I could tolerate (like the hatchet on the Quentin frames - beautiful as they are). Everyone is different that way I suppose. That’s a good thing.

Except for the LF frames, I don’t think the accents shout out a $800 price tag. I personally like JMM because of the quality and modern takes on what seem to be classic shapes. As the price of JMM frames continues to increase, I find myself exploring other brands that are made in Japan. Again, I could be totally wrong here. I’m not into high fashion at all, JMM is about as luxurious as I get.

Lastly, there seems to be more hateful speech here lately. I’m not sure why. Makes me a little nervous posting on here now. I don’t share much, and hopefully have not offended anyone or broken any unwritten rules. I’m just trying to learn more about the brand and share what little I know.
+ 1 to all of this ^^ - and don’t worry, you’re good with me dawg!😁

Pureneat

Reaction score

i also prefer the less garish and I suppose, more conservative JMM and I have also looked at alternatives. Chrome hearts have excellent designs and build quality but dislike the embelishments and the childish double entendre model names. Another Brand that I like and own several models of is from a brand called Pewpols, who are an Irish Co. But using French manufacture of Japanese acetate.(I think).

as for the regrettable discord…..it seems inevitable as the brand grows and generates wider interest, best ignore.
Please continue to post, your contributions are always
valued.

Peace

Mr Jay

Reaction score

Except for the independent maker part, I've no idea of what you're saying

IKant

Reaction score
Everything is mentioned there in English. You can re-read!
Unless you have some learning disabilities! 😂
Did this all start because DorianGreen, who I believe to be an excellent contributor to this thread and a nice person to boot, and a few others, simply stated their opinions - that they don't have a preference for the hammers on the Quentin?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads