• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I think I hate San Francisco.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Abliss
Apologize for the direct approache. But i really think you need to re-consider your perspective of what pisses you off. Most of the things you mentioned are unfortunately (if you want) part of almost any major city, honestly - take it with a smile and move on. So far i think i have visited around twenty big cities and if i should list all the small things that you apparently take as deal breakers i would have gone mad.

That being said, there are obviously a difference in visiting and actually having a everyday life somewhere.

Not really. SF is a dump for most parts, but its a heaven for white hippies.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
How's the crime level in SF?

Look for increased levels of axe attacks in the next few months
laugh.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
How's the crime level in SF?

Quite a bit worse than it should be because the PD is terrible and the politicians who give them orders are worse.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Right, well, you will dismiss this as an appeal to authority, but Richard Henry Dana and Gaspar de Portola both described SF Bay as the finest spot for human habitation on earth. Some other luminary whose name I forget at the moment said the most beautiful places in the world were the Bay of Naples, the Bosporous, and SF Bay.

The Ford Focus comment is assinine and just reveals you as a hater. My opinion was not meant to be gospel, merely opinion, but at least it is not absurd.

SV is ugly, or most of it, but it has very nice pocket. It is also a lot less ugly, and a lot smaller, than the worst LA and AZ sprawl. Hilarious that you base all these judgements on hearsay. Go in person and see for yourself.

I'm not a hater. My analogy was exagerrated for effect.

Having lived in and visited some of the most beautiful cities on earth, though, I find it silly that anyone would rank SF -- or any North American city -- among them.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness

Having lived in and visited some of the most beautiful cities on earth, though, I find it silly that anyone would rank SF -- or any North American city -- among them.

I don't see how you wouldn't. I've met lots of Parisians and Romans who positively love SF. They must be crazy, I guess.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by milosz
My dad was born in San Jose, lived there until '65ish and spent his college years in SF and the East Bay, left in 1970 and I don't think he's been back since my brother was born in '75. I wonder what he'd think of the area now, particularly San Jose.

I loved the time I've spent in the city and would move there in a heartbeat if it was feasible. I'd love to never really need a car again (aside from the odd ZipCar use), the weather is my ideal (even the rain), I could find a show or something interesting to do just about any night of the week, the food was outstanding even on the low end, people were no worse than Dallas (less, uh, bubbly as a rule). And I could buy top-shelf liquor behind the counter of convenience stores in the Tenderloin.

OTOH, a week after I flew back home on the last trip, the counter guy at the pizza place I had eaten at several nights (on Van Ness) got stabbed by a crazy chick. San Francisco might be the hardest place in the world for me to get a concealed handgun license, and also the place I would most like to carry, I think.

San Jose is now overrun by Indians. Driving in the residential areas after sunset will make you feel like being in Bangalore. So many Indians.

Originally Posted by Lokesh
Which one are you talking about? In the main library I've only found the bathroom smelling of urine. I would assume this is to be expected since its so close to the tenderloin and that its free for anyone to come in. Also my visit is hardly to take in the sights sounds and smells. I'm mainly talking about their selection of books.

They all have the BARTxChinatown scent.

Right, well, you will dismiss this as an appeal to authority, but Richard Henry Dana and Gaspar de Portola both described SF Bay as the finest spot for human habitation on earth. Some other luminary whose name I forget at the moment said the most beautiful places in the world were the Bay of Naples, the Bosporous, and SF Bay.

The Ford Focus comment is assinine and just reveals you as a hater. My opinion was not meant to be gospel, merely opinion, but at least it is not absurd.

SV is ugly, or most of it, but it has very nice pocket. It is also a lot less ugly, and a lot smaller, than the worst LA and AZ sprawl. Hilarious that you base all these judgements on hearsay. Go in person and see for yourself.

LA is a fugly place to live. And if you hate night life, SV is not a bad place to be. All those small towns downtown areas are way better than LA.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I agree with the teleporter comment. LA = great place if no driving. I think some years ago when it was less crowded it would have been neat.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't see how you wouldn't. I've met lots of Parisians and Romans who positively love SF. They must be crazy, I guess.

Everyone I know who has visited SF loves it, too.

But I'm only discussing aesthetics. Getting a bit tiring now...

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The idea that ambitious and smart means being an I-banker **** or Web 2.0 douchebag is ******* marsupialed.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Quite a bit worse than it should be because the PD is terrible and the politicians who give them orders are worse.
Is it because the cops are too busy handing out parking tickets? On another note, I can't remember the last time I saw so much trash in an American city. The city is 7 square miles, how hard can it be to pick up the trash? Employ the crackheads. They seem to be everywhere. lefty

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness

I don't necessarily like what we have done with the city w/r/t planning and architecture, but I can't think of a city with a better natural setting than SF other than possibly Naples. Not that I would call Naples a beautiful city...

FStyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
orly?

Originally Posted by lefty
Just got back from a four day "let's check the city out" trip in anticipation of our move in March. Couldn't wait to get home.

In no particular order:

Cabs, if you can find one, are filthy with drivers who have no idea where they are going.

learn to ride the muni/bart. It'll change your life.....tourist.

Homeless crack heads are insanely aggressive. I had to push a guy away from my wife. Next time I bring an axe.

What business do you have on 6th street!? Do you need to go to the civic center everyday!?!?

Waiters are way too chummy and have no idea how do do their job. Look, pal - you are not part of our conversation; don't touch me when telling me the specials; and don't remove an empty plate until we're all finished. I finally had to tell a waiter to leave the plate and he looked at me like I killed his puppy.

you can go to an Outback steakhouse where you live. Do some research on where the locals go.

There's garbage on the street.

see two responses above

The women look like men. Up close, ugly men.

you didn't visit the marina, eh? Only so many times can the castro be amusing.

The residents are like Stepford employees of the tourism board. "Oh, you'll love it here. Did you know you can ski in the morning and surf in the afternoon?" Look closely in their eyes, however, and what you see is a tinge of fear. As if they are trapped in the Billy Mumy Twilight Zone episode.

hahahah ...******.
plain.gif

I met up with an ex-New Yorker and asked him why the **** everyone was so nice. He replied, "It's nice to be nice." **** me.

you'll learn.

I was blindsided by one line in a contract and am now royally fucked.

I'd stay put if I were you. I've seen this city overtaken by wonky transplants for 25 years. Its become a self fullfilling prophecy in that the the same peiople who complain about all the yuppies, gays, and liberals all come here and become more prius-y, liberal and bi-sexual than any san franciscan who's been here for more than 10 years.

lefty

and PS: I and all of my friends refer tot he city as Frisco. I think you're info is a generation too late.

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If San Francisco is truly as bad as some of you say, then I've vastly understated the mediocrity and unpleasantness of this country. Good Song BTW

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads