1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

I Just Bought a... (Wine, Spirit, or Beer)

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Huntsman, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Histrion

Histrion Well-Known Member

I have very little experience with Sauternes, but I purchased a 1996 Château de Rayne Vigneau, 1er Cru ClassÃ[​IMG]. Its for a party on January 1st at a friend's place -- he's a big Sauternes fan.

I hope it's going to be good. Any insights?

2. speedster.8

speedster.8 Well-Known Member

In the mornig getting food i bought ... (se attached) And then stroling through town i stubled on a new place with just Malts I almost ... Just almost bought: [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. speedster.8

speedster.8 Well-Known Member

4. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

No, but they have almost everything I want.

5. appolyon

appolyon Well-Known Member

From left to right:

Glenlivet and Glenmorangie cause the local had them cheap (and as you can see I already had a wee dram).

Miltonduff and Glenturret are the first two whiskeys that I have received from a whiskey club I have just joined (for aussie members that may be interested it is at www.singlemalt.com.au)

And the Glenfeddich was a Christmas present from my lil sister. Got to love her.

[​IMG]

6. The Wayfarer

The Wayfarer Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Picked up some impulse buys at Whole Foods earlier.

7. IUtoSLU

IUtoSLU Well-Known Member

Back from Chicago! I ended up only going to one liquor store: Sam's Wine and Spirits. I didn't go to the flagship location; and my location didn't carry Old Portrero. But I was able to acquire North Shore gin #6, Rothman and Winter's (only brand available) creme de violette (2 bottles), Fee bros Peach bitters and Fee Bros Orange bitters.

The North Shore gin has a medium juniper flavor with a lot of citrus, and it is very smooth. I haven't tried anything else yet. I was sad not to get Old Portrero and the Ferrand cognac, but my wallet (and wife) was happy.

Pictures to come later.

8. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

PAX has been bought out/broken up, and the wine everyone raved over is probably history. So I had to spring for a couple of bottles when I saw a 2004 The Emerald Pool Syrah. Huge, huge wine. And a bottle of The Terraces too. The other is a small batch Syrah, highly rated, and I liked the label. The bottling is "The Fight."

[​IMG]

Also on sale, were a couple bottles of 2004 Peay, which I am always talking about. 50% off, I could not help but grab them.

[​IMG]

It would seem my wife's cats, of all types, are indeed taking over here.

9. tricota

tricota Well-Known Member

I am truely facinated by the whole wine thing you guys have got going on. I am not a wine person myself. I have tried many times, but it just isnt for me. I used to think it was an age thing, but as I am coming up on 32, still with no taste for it, I fear it is simply is not for me. I normally have half a glas, if I am out at diner parties, though only because the idea of people not liking wine, is apparently so odd to most people, that it seams easier to just fake it. If you ask for white wine (which I can sometime handle) people think you are girlie and if you ask for a beer or a GnT, people think you are...Well, "low rent", if I may use that rather fabulous expression.

So there it is. But for Gods sake, keep posting. Even if I dont like wine, I actuially find it very interesting.

10. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member

If you ask for white wine (which I can sometime handle) people think you are girlie...

Give them a good white Burgundy and change their minds!

11. appolyon

appolyon Well-Known Member

I used to think it was an age thing, but as I am coming up on 32, still with no taste for it, I fear it is simply is not for me. I

I don't think it's an age thing. I think it is a 'putting in the time' thing. When I was younger I didn't like the taste of beer or whiskey or gin. But know I quiet enjoy all three.

When I was asking a friend of mine how she is so knowledgeable about wine she said the only way to learn is to buy many bottles and to drink them. I just have to find the time to do it!

12. elgreco

elgreco Well-Known Member

I love scotch so very, very much. I hope in the near to moderate future to go to Scotland and hit a number of the distilleries.

I bought the following for my friend's New Year's Eve party and we broke into it a bit around midnight, but unfortunately, my senses were a bit dulled by then so I don't really remember any specifics about it. As it was a Speysider, it wasn't as harsh as some of the Islay whiskys I'm used to drinking. I think it will be a good addition to replace my bottle of Caol Ila 12, because I already have a bottle of Talisker 10 and a Bruichladdich Rocks which is enough peat for one collection.

[​IMG]

13. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

Really interesting thread, too bad I've been missing it for a while!!

I'm huge into wines, I took a wine class at my university and I worked in the industry for a little before going into finance. 3 months ago, i was only buying French, but I just took a trip to Italy and since then I've been going all Italian.

I only have a 12 bottle cooler (I purposely didn't get any bigger!!) and I have about 10 bottles that I'm keeping for a while, all purchased recently. Some modest highlights include:

- Banfi Brunello (I've met the family, very nice people)
    - Poggio Amorelli Chianti Classico - I've tasted 6 or 7 wines from this producer on his estate, all of them were stellar, from the IGT to the Classico to his super Tuscan. Highly recommended.
    - Rocche dei Manzoni Barolo, 2001
    - Sassicaia, 1997
    - Jadot Gevrey-Chambertain and some Mersault (both 2005)
    - Chateau Guiraud Sauternes, 2003 (I had some last year, phenomenal, can't wait for this one to open up)

Currently enjoying some little-known Tuscan table wines, most notably some much-more-needed-in-US Morellino de Scansano. I also had an Austrian Gruner Veltliner the other day that knocked my socks off for $35 at a restaurant.

"When I was asking a friend of mine how she is so knowledgeable about wine she said the only way to learn is to buy many bottles and to drink them"

Absolutely true. I found the best way was (unfortunately) to try wines side by side. This is when you can pick up on the little things that makes some wines stand out against its peers. Grab some friends and have a party.

14. The Wayfarer

The Wayfarer Well-Known Member

I love scotch so very, very much. I hope in the near to moderate future to go to Scotland and hit a number of the distilleries. I bought the following for my friend's New Year's Eve party and we broke into it a bit around midnight, but unfortunately, my senses were a bit dulled by then so I don't really remember any specifics about it. As it was a Speysider, it wasn't as harsh as some of the Islay whiskys I'm used to drinking. I think it will be a good addition to replace my bottle of Caol Ila 12, because I already have a bottle of Talisker 10 and a Bruichladdich Rocks which is enough peat for one collection. [​IMG]
    I just had Singleton for the first time at a bar the other night. I really enjoyed it quite a bit. As for my purchases, a six pack of Anchor Steam. I picked up some sourdough, made clam chowder, and pretended to be in San Francisco this evening while staring out the window at the cold, wintry hell outside.

15. Lucky7

Lucky7 Well-Known Member

I just picked up (2) bottles of 2004 Mollydooker "Carnival of Love" Shiraz. This stuff is absolutely awesome.

16. pscolari

pscolari Well-Known Member

Just picked up half a case of Domaine La Garrique Vacqueyras and am about to open one up.

17. syracuse1976

syracuse1976 Well-Known Member

Mollydooker is outstanding, even their Two Left Feet.

18. Lucky7

Lucky7 Well-Known Member

Mollydooker is outstanding, even their Two Left Feet.

Mollydooker is great! I like just about everything they put out.

19. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

A bottle each of Vya sweet and dry vermouth, plus a Lillet Rouge. I was out of both vermouths for something like a day, for shame.

ItU -- glad you were able to grab some Creme de Violette. It's just one of those have-to-have-it enigmatic sorts of things.

~H

20. JAY13

JAY13 Member

Excellent single malt scotch recommendations! I have already thoroughly enjoyed the Lagavulin 16 and am looking forward to the Cragganmore. For the beer lovers, I have recently picked up some Maui Brewing Co. Coconut Porter which was quite tasty and highly recommended. http://www.bevmo.com/Shop/ProductDet...roductID=25815