• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I Just Bought a... (Wine, Spirit, or Beer)

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by speedster.8
Depends where you live doesnt it ... But my point being tempered water will release more flavor
wink.gif

The water I make ice with is filtered. I simply enjoy the tinkle and aromas I get with a couple of cubes. All tap water comes with chlorine, so I'd filter it.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by speedster.8
Wish to thank for this, found the 1991 edition localy. Relay like It.
LOL. I can tell! I'm glad...

mikeman

Reaction score
Recently got into wines,and picked up some Jonesy port,its cheap,but I think it tastes great.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up some everyday wine -- some Carmenere, Sauvignon Blanc, and Montepulciano. But the star of my haul (apparently the store I was at is gearing up for Christmas. I picked up this gem: http://www.drinkupny.com/v/vspfiles/photos/S0553-2.jpg It was next to a Rittenhouse 23yo Rye, and a Parker Heritage collection 27yo Bourbon. I want the Parker, but I can't!

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hunts, I want a review on that rye as soon as you open it!

progressiveminded

Reaction score
Westvleteren Blonde, 8, and 12. Found them for six euros at a specialty beer store in Brugge. I really can't wait to crack the 12.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
What do you mean by lighter? Less fruit? Less "funk" (earth, mushroom, etc. as the wine people call it
smile.gif
). I might have a suggestion or two.

For the record, I have no idea what I mean. I'm Potter Stewart when it comes to wine: "I like it when I taste it."

But probably more fruit less funk.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
For the record, I have no idea what I mean. I'm Potter Stewart when it comes to wine: "I like it when I taste it."

But probably more fruit less funk.

Okay, first then, steer clear of Oregon wines. They tend to be heavy in the funk. It will aerate off, but there you go.

If you don't mind spending some bucks, try an RRV Merry Edwards. Also, try a Sea Smoke, the Ten or Southing. If you can find something from Gary's Vineyard, maybe a Loring or Siduri, you will probably like that too. If you can find a mature Peay, Scallop Shelf is what you'll probably find, try that one too. There's hundreds more, but those spring to mind as fruit forward with the least funk.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IUtoSLU
Hunts, I want a review on that rye as soon as you open it!
Will do. It will be before the New Year.
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Okay, first then, steer clear of Oregon wines. They tend to be heavy in the funk. It will aerate off, but there you go. If you don't mind spending some bucks, try an RRV Merry Edwards. Also, try a Sea Smoke, the Ten or Southing. If you can find something from Gary's Vineyard, maybe a Loring or Siduri, you will probably like that too. If you can find a mature Peay, Scallop Shelf is what you'll probably find, try that one too. There's hundreds more, but those spring to mind as fruit forward with the least funk.
Pio -- there was a show on my PBS called 'Uncorked' and they did a little survey of Sonoma. Spent a decent portion of the :30 with Merry Edwards herself. The woman is passionate. ~ H

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Pio -- there was a show on my PBS called 'Uncorked' and they did a little survey of Sonoma. Spent a decent portion of the :30 with Merry Edwards herself. The woman is passionate.

~ H

I just went to Netflix, and they have it! In my que
smile.gif
IMHO, she makes tasty wine. Apparently, not everyone is a fan though. Over tastes, there can be no dispute.

Bohdathone

Reaction score
We get an annual company entertainment drinks allowance so I just put in my order from the approved list to get it in time for Christmas.

1x JW Swing (perhaps my favourite widely available blend)
1x Talisker 10... you can never go wrong with this
1x Glenmorangie Port Wood finish; discontinued so I want to try it while I can and it's supposed to be the best of the old "finishes"
6x Cotes du Rhone Parallel 45 (Jaboulet et Aine). Know very little about wine but this was recommended, as were....
1x Penfolds Bin 28 Kalmina Shiraz and
1x Penfolds Bin 407 Cabernet Sauvignon

and some cans of Amstel Light...

Should be a nice haul; I'm looking forward to getting started on it :)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bohdathone
We get an annual company entertainment drinks allowance so I just put in my order from the approved list to get it in time for Christmas. 1x JW Swing (perhaps my favourite widely available blend) 1x Talisker 10... you can never go wrong with this 1x Glenmorangie Port Wood finish; discontinued so I want to try it while I can and it's supposed to be the best of the old "finishes" 6x Cotes du Rhone Parallel 45 (Jaboulet et Aine). Know very little about wine but this was recommended, as were.... 1x Penfolds Bin 28 Kalmina Shiraz and 1x Penfolds Bin 407 Cabernet Sauvignon and some cans of Amstel Light... Should be a nice haul; I'm looking forward to getting started on it :)
You have the best job, ever. Note to self: make proposal to Board of Directors to establish an "annual company entertainment drinks allowance"! I just bought a bottle of Plymouth Gin, after reading the recommendations here. It is surprisingly cheap here...1500 yen (around $15US).

chiral

Reaction score
Six pack of railbender ale, and a six pack of pilsner urquel.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bohdathone
We get an annual company entertainment drinks allowance so I just put in my order from the approved list to get it in time for Christmas. 1x JW Swing (perhaps my favourite widely available blend) 1x Talisker 10... you can never go wrong with this 1x Glenmorangie Port Wood finish; discontinued so I want to try it while I can and it's supposed to be the best of the old "finishes" 6x Cotes du Rhone Parallel 45 (Jaboulet et Aine). Know very little about wine but this was recommended, as were.... 1x Penfolds Bin 28 Kalmina Shiraz and 1x Penfolds Bin 407 Cabernet Sauvignon and some cans of Amstel Light... Should be a nice haul; I'm looking forward to getting started on it :)
I may never like you. Nothing personal.

goodlife

Reaction score
Originally Posted by goodlife
Pierre Ferand sampler set
- 200 ml bottles of each of their four offerings: Amber, Cigar Reserve, Reserve, and Selection Angles

The cognac was an unbelievable value. All four bottles for $50. Based on the the cost of the 750 ml bottle the Selection Angles was worth like $35 on its own.

PSA for all the Chicago members, this is now priced at $35 at Binney's. I picked up another last night at the Clark/Halsted location.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads