• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How could this shirt fit better (MT shirt critique)

dethredic

Reaction score
I just got my first Modern Tailor demo shirt (and haven't ironed it yet!), but I think it fits great through the body and arms. The shoulders pop out a little bit when I lift my arms as seen in the pictures. How would I correct this with my measurements in future shirts from them? I also think the neck has too much space, which I will reduce by a .5 - 1.5 cm next time. Also what are your thoughts on the wide spread collar as a skinnier guy? Any other thoughts are welcome. Pictures: http://imgur.com/a/0gauT

jstupple19

Reaction score
Maybe reduce the shoulder size in the shirt by 1-1.5cm too next time, to solve the problem with the shoulders popping out. Although my first instinct was that it looks like a perfect fit, so it could be a quirk of fabric more than a problem with the measurements.

dethredic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jstupple19
Maybe reduce the shoulder size in the shirt by 1-1.5cm too next time, to solve the problem with the shoulders popping out. Although my first instinct was that it looks like a perfect fit, so it could be a quirk of fabric more than a problem with the measurements.

Okay, I thought the shoulders looked fine with my arms down, then was surprised what happened when I lifted them up

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Simple: higher armhole, narrower shoulder. Don't forget to lengthen the sleeves by the same amount your narrow down the shoulder.

ChicagoMediaMan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
Simple: higher armhole, narrower shoulder. Don't forget to lengthen the sleeves by the same amount your narrow down the shoulder.

This. Other than that, looks pretty good.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, forgot to say: your collar is huuuuuuuge. (edit: not the collar points, but the circumference of it)

dethredic

Reaction score
Okay, I will try that on my next one.
Oh yeah, forgot to say: your collar is huuuuuuuge. (edit: not the collar points, but the circumference of it)
Yah, I came to that conclusion too

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

+1 - that's the first thing I saw. It looks like the collar is 1" or even 2" too large (it may not be, but it looks like it)

dethredic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by razl
+1 - that's the first thing I saw. It looks like the collar is 1" or even 2" too large (it may not be, but it looks like it)

I agree, although it is only 1-1.5cm too big

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads