• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I finally know where I have seen that look before (besides Dr. Who!). It is another BBC Sci Fi show...David Dixon as Ford Prefect in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy!

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks. I went button collar given how heavy the fit was on the tweed side. Spread collar seemed too "city".

Yeah...I guess I can see how that could go either way. But maybe next time you wear the vest try a spread and see how it looks.

luv2breformed

Reaction score
From last Spring. Never got around to posting it. Please excuse the low-ish angle pic; it makes the button-stance and balance look a little weird.

This fit is making me really look forward to Spring. Although I am still enjoying all of the excellent fits the cold weather is producing.

FillW

Reaction score

Dude, Ronald McDonald could post a fit pic alongside yours and have nothing to be ashamed of. In my over seven years on the board that is without a doubt one of the five worst fits I have ever seen. Unless you are auditioning to be the new Dr. Who....then it might work in context. From what I have observed here, you are convinced you are correct even though a group of unrelated veritable strangers on the internet are all in agreement that you are not. Please keep posting...I look forward to being amused by the next Chaotic Crayola Clash-up you can create from your wardrobe.

Guys, should we use this as an opportunity to start a "What NOT to Wear" thread?

I finally know where I have seen that look before (besides Dr. Who!). It is another BBC Sci Fi show...David Dixon as Ford Prefect in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy!

:crackup:

@mimo
  jeans are both classic and timeless

+1 :D

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Stitch: Kent Wang?
Welcome to the dark side...

kamakura. :)

---

dear 38R,

please allow me to share a few thoughts on this mornings brouhaha. and to everyone else here, please indulge me with this dead horse beating post.

1. this is not a blog. its not a personal blog or a collective blog. yes, this thread is titled what are you wearing right now, not please critique my fit. however, as long as this thread had been in existence, and that is quite a long time, it has served as a place for people to post what they are wearing and receive feedback, good or bad and often a mix of both. this is not a thread to just post a fit and walk away expecting people to just look and think either i like that or i dont. its not a masturbatory picture thread for people to narcissistically post pictures of themselves, though we all do have a bit of narcissism in us. it is a thread to share and learn. everyone who posts a fit here knows that, or should know that.

2. you may very well have been at the menswear game for a long time, so long in fact that you know your style and do not care for critiques. thats fine. but you have been here for well over a year, and you are plenty active on the forum. there is no possible way that you do not know that your style is pretty much the anti-SF. even more so than AAS. i mean that in no derogatory way, but the style you aim for is quite clearly far outside the bounds of what SF approved or desired type style is. that is fine, you do you, but i cannot understand why any of the feedback you received would in any way be surprising to you. you have been here for long enough to know that the nature of this thread, whatever the title may be, is to post fits and get feedback, and to know that the style you shoot for, however deliberately, is very much not what the majority of SFers would consider to be good.

3. i have long struggled with this concept of how to take critique from someone i think dresses poorly. in the end, it appears to me that if the person is a complete and total train-wreck, i ignore it. if they have a pretty decent understanding of style but are prone to blunders now and then, then there is no reason in my opinion not to take their feedback at face value, regardless of any mistakes they might have made. no one (or very few) dresses perfectly, and there is plenty to learn even from people who may not be perfect in their dress themselves.

anyhow, those are the thoughts that i had after reading this mornings back and forth.

that being said, here is my fit. critique away. here is mine, the pants need a half inch of length and are probably too tapered for my build. some would say as well that for my build and large shoe size these shoes are too aggressive for me, especially with these pants. i do not entirely disagree. the rest i think is lovely. :)

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Despos-made Air Force blue Minnis flannel suit
Truzzi shirt
Kiton tie
Ralph Lauren challis pocket square

DonCologne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
kamakura.
smile.gif

---

dear 38R,

please allow me to share a few thoughts on this mornings brouhaha. and to everyone else here, please indulge me with this dead horse beating post.

1. this is not a blog. its not a personal blog or a collective blog. yes, this thread is titled what are you wearing right now, not please critique my fit. however, as long as this thread had been in existence, and that is quite a long time, it has served as a place for people to post what they are wearing and receive feedback, good or bad and often a mix of both. this is not a thread to just post a fit and walk away expecting people to just look and think either i like that or i dont. its not a masturbatory picture thread for people to narcissistically post pictures of themselves, though we all do have a bit of narcissism in us. it is a thread to share and learn. everyone who posts a fit here knows that, or should know that.

2. you may very well have been at the menswear game for a long time, so long in fact that you know your style and do not care for critiques. thats fine. but you have been here for well over a year, and you are plenty active on the forum. there is no possible way that you do not know that your style is pretty much the anti-SF. even more so than AAS. i mean that in no derogatory way, but the style you aim for is quite clearly far outside the bounds of what SF approved or desired type style is. that is fine, you do you, but i cannot understand why any of the feedback you received would in any way be surprising to you. you have been here for long enough to know that the nature of this thread, whatever the title may be, is to post fits and get feedback, and to know that the style you shoot for, however deliberately, is very much not what the majority of SFers would consider to be good.

3. i have long struggled with this concept of how to take critique from someone i think dresses poorly. in the end, it appears to me that if the person is a complete and total train-wreck, i ignore it. if they have a pretty decent understanding of style but are prone to blunders now and then, then there is no reason in my opinion not to take their feedback at face value, regardless of any mistakes they might have made. no one (or very few) dresses perfectly, and there is plenty to learn even from people who may not be perfect in their dress themselves.

anyhow, those are the thoughts that i had after reading this mornings back and forth.

that being said, here is my fit. critique away. here is mine, the pants need a half inch of length and are probably too tapered for my build. some would say as well that for my build and large shoe size these shoes are too aggressive for me, especially with these pants. i do not entirely disagree. the rest i think is lovely.
smile.gif

Most percantage of my thumb is for the text. The shoes seems a little bit too large and the lapel of the coat is in my opinion too small. The mix of textures and colors is as always very good.

Last edited:

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Good Stitch, very good.

Your personal critique is very informative, thanks for that. Getting an appreciation of how others see their wardrobe/fits is very enlightening (still learning)

I particularly like the texture pic, bang on.

That tie does it for me too :nodding:

______

Aportnoy, love that flannel

Last edited:

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Thumbs for both the text and the fit. But I agree with your assessment of the aggressive tapering.

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks. I went button collar given how heavy the fit was on the tweed side. Spread collar seemed too "city".
Yes, this is a hair shorter than is ideal. I think 2 inches overstates it (indeed it measures just 0.5 inches off my preferred length), but I certainly see your point. Camera angle may also be a factor.

I think that vest is tricky, because it's tweed, but also a pretty formal style - I'd love one in black worsted wool to go with my morning coat. You're maybe combining country and city there already, so perhaps a country colour shirt, like pale green, with a spread collar, might marry the whole thing. Or it could be a disaster, I'm really not sure. Just thinking out loud.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Stitch: Needs a PS. :hide:

lol, no doubt.

Thumbs for both the text and the fit. But I agree with your assessment of the aggressive tapering.

thanks, clags.

What is the general rule on pant leg opening to foot size - 75% or 2/3? And is it of the foot's length or the shoe length? I don't know, but if you subscribe to that the tapering is a tad much, but everything else is immaculate.

i have no idea if there are rules or ratios on this, but i know for me that once the leg opening gets under 9 inches it starts to look off on me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads