• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gun Appreciation Thread

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Well, I don't know if you can generalize from my experience with a couple of guns. I notice you mentioned using snap caps with your single actions. You may or may not be aware that with traditional single actions, those that don't have a transfer bar, like Colts and old model Rugers, you don't need snap caps. Just cut a short length of rawhide boot lace, fold it over and tuck under the firing pin hole (or firing pin in the case of old model Rugers) and you can dry snap to your heart's content. It does a fine job of cushioning the hammer impact.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have some single actions with hammer mounted firing pins, but my Rugers all have transfer bars. Whatever the case, snap caps are simply easier IMO. No messing around. The only PITA is using snap caps with a lever gun. I had to shave down a snap cap so the rim was gone on one half of it. That way it wouldn't eject every time I moved the lever. I miss cowboy action shooting...

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

I couldn't find any exotics I liked so I decided to go the opposite route. I found some factory original target stocks from the 80s in near perfect condition, which were more expensive than most exotics as it turns out. I love the markings on the wood.
YES! those are a must have on those. not the most comfortable to me, but by gawd they look great.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
anyone familiar with the Sphinx pistol that Kriss is importing? swiss made version of a CZ basically. I have a guy wanting to trade one of my colts for his. kinda tempted.... if only for a catch and release after some fun with it.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We reviewed the Sphinx pistols when I was editing Handguns magazine. This would have been at the time they arrived on the U.S. market back around 1992 or 1993. As I recall, they were okay, with no signal virtues or notable faults that we could descry. I personally wouldn't trade any of the nine Colt 1911-style pistols I own for one, but then I was never particularly impressed by the CZ tribe of pistols. They were okay, but I never could understand the hoopla over them unless you just had to have "selective double action." On most if not all CZ-types, I found the trigger reach to be something of a stretch when carried uncocked, and I have pretty big hands.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

We reviewed the Sphinx pistols when I was editing Handguns magazine. This would have been at the time they arrived on the U.S. market back around 1992 or 1993. As I recall, they were okay, with no signal virtues or notable faults that we could descry. I personally wouldn't trade any of the nine Colt 1911-style pistols I own for one, but then I was never particularly impressed by the CZ tribe of pistols. They were okay, but I never could understand the hoopla over them unless you just had to have "selective double action." On most if not all CZ-types, I found the trigger reach to be something of a stretch when carried uncocked, and I have pretty big hands.

ive never really gotten on the CZ bandwagon.... i do like the quality of the sphinx... and feels pretty great in the hand. I ended up passing on the trade... I have quite a few 1911s and thought something different may be fun. I have a polished stainless mark IV we were talking about swapping, i dont love it, but i think i still like it better than the sphinx.

i go b ack and forth between loving 1911s and wanting something different/modern. But im certain the sphinx would just be a catch and release.

thanks for the info JL!!!

Last edited:

thats.mana

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone id this revolver, helping a friend out. I'm leaning towards Colt.

i10casual

Reaction score
The patina, it looks like a replica Colt.I do leather work in the single action business but I'm not an expert.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads