• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FRIDAY CHALLENGE 20140509 - COTTON

Who did it best?

• Anden

Votes: 35 42.7%
  • Don Cologne

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Holdfast

Votes: 17 20.7%
  • GMMcL

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • SpooPoker

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • Christopher Essex

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • An Acute Style

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • alessandromo

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • Amar ezzahi

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • jungleroller

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • sugarbutch

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • Betelgeuse

Votes: 34 41.5%
  • Tirailleur1

Votes: 43 52.4%
  • acecow

Votes: 3 3.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SeaJen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fair enough. I just know that I have learned so much here, and seen learning in others, that only comes from feedback, whether to one's own fits or those of other posters. Vox only bothered writing his combinations essay in response to the fits he was seeing (and those he was having in response, I'm sure). But I guess EFVs FC thread is not really the place for this, so I'll shut up. Have to crack some skulls at work now anyway.

Congrats, EFV, by the way. Those Luxire pants in your winning fit are baller.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Didn't like that fit, but I did like the suit, so I gave it a thumb. I agree that it is too GQ. And Stitchy has mentioned before that WAYWRN has become too nice.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Other than the tie and the braces, I do like everything else, btw. But as the saying goes "otherwise how was the play, Mrs Lincoln"?

if you crop out his face you can find literally 20 other people on tumblr/instagram (involved in clothing sales) that dress exactly the same, you couldn't tell one apart from the other. How is that stylish? And its not dressed the same in the sense that they are all wearing odd jacket or suit fits but where every detail is exactly the same, the cuts are exactly the same (no regard for body types), even some of the same patterns. I mean, come on.

kulata

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In, if Saturday entries are allowed.

Regarding mcobinad(sp) fit. I thumbed it up, it is clearly too tight but the overall casual look seems good to me but IMHO the WAYWRN has been getting a lot of new and even old participants which is a good thing. Is it due to the less stringent feedback or the 20+ thread? Nobody will ever know. But the fact that a lot of people are now posting pics will only lead to a spillover to more advanced threads like good taste and conservative business dress threads. This is good for the forum and since i have been lurking on SF (2006) the WAYWRN thread has really improved, at least we don't have anybody posting shorts/skirts with blazers, the so called good old days.

Last edited:

SeaJen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if you crop out his face you can find literally 20 other people on tumblr/instagram (involved in clothing sales) that dress exactly the same, you couldn't tell one apart from the other. How is that stylish? And its not dressed the same in the sense that they are all wearing odd jacket or suit fits but where every detail is exactly the same, the cuts are exactly the same (no regard for body types), even some of the same patterns. I mean, come on.
No argument here, Ed.

In, if Saturday entries are allowed.

Regarding mcobinad(sp) fit. I thumbed it up, it is clearly too tight but the overall casual look seems good to me but IMHO the WAYWRN has been getting a lot of new and even old participants which is a good thing. Is it due to the less stringent feedback or the 20+ thread? Nobody will ever know. But the fact that a lot of people are now posting pics will only lead to a spillover to more advanced threads like good taste and conservative business dress threads. This is good for the forum and since i have been lurking on SF (2006) the WAYWRN thread has really improved, at least we don't have anybody posting shorts/skirts with blazers, the so called good old days.

I guess styleforum's popularity on Bermuda has declined. Fok should look into that.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I thought most of the tumblr/instagram crowd liked their stuff too tight and too short, not really what I see going on here.

Admittedly, very Armoury-esque. And of course, the tie blade is ridiculous. He's not even a short guy (close to 6 feet). He just gets his ties really long.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I agree that it is too GQ. And Stitchy has mentioned before that WAYWRN has become too nice.

way too nice. i am a guilty party myself.

SeaJen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Didn't like that fit, but I did like the suit, so I gave it a thumb. I agree that it is too GQ. And Stitchy has mentioned before that WAYWRN has become too nice.

You appear to be one of the most discerning thumbers, so this surprises me.

...you're just discerning with respect to my fits.
frown.gif

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Potentially in depending on if I come up with a fit I like for my corduroy odd jacket this week.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There are some posters (not mentioning any names) who have shown themselves immune to critique. Folks get tired of beating their heads against the wall. Especially if they post irregularly, they don't typically present a constant enough irritation for someone to take them to task.

SeaJen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are some posters (not mentioning any names) who have shown themselves immune to critique. Folks get tired of beating their heads against the wall. Especially if they post irregularly, they don't typically present a constant enough irritation for someone to take them to task.
Name and shame, Suge, name and shame!

But seriously, I just got taken to task by Big P, and he likewise issued notice to Anden's pocket square and Cox's X-pattern bingo. It's all good and healthy.

but I will still wear my 'magic mint' pants. so perhaps I'm immune too
shog[1].gif

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This is not a contribution (though I wish it would have been). I haven't finished the sleeves or buttons/button holes yet, but thought it appropriate for a 1000th post & not totally inappropriate for this thread, since it's cotton. It's a DIY project I've been working on for some weeks. It's the first jacket I've ever tried making.

Sorry for going off track and bragging a bit, but I'm kinda proud of actually being able to make a jacket with no schooling or training.

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

This is not a contribution (though I wish it would have been). I haven't finished the sleeves or buttons/button holes yet, but thought it appropriate for a 1000th post & not totally inappropriate for this thread, since it's cotton. It's a DIY project I've been working on for some weeks. It's the first jacket I've ever tried making.

Sorry for going off track and bragging a bit, but I'm kinda proud of actually being able to make a jacket with no schooling or training.

You should be proud, quite right :slayer:

ETA of finished article? :lurk:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads