• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GzStudio

Reaction score
This is a picture I can get behind. Vintage Filson, and my personal favorite watch of all time (and I've owned dozens...), the amazing Rolex 16600. Well done.

Appreciated, the sea dweller is a favorite of mine. I do hope to acquire a nice drsd 1665 or great white 1665 sometime.

dukerules

Reaction score
Appreciated, the sea dweller is a favorite of mine. I do hope to acquire a nice drsd 1665 or great white 1665 sometime.
Never really had the money for a DRSD, but did own a beautiful 1665 Great White a couple of years back. It was lovely, but stressed me out too much to wear it, so off it went. Really wish I still had it, but I like not having to worry about inflicting nicks, dings, and scratches on my watches, so I've moved away from the pricey vintage watches.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Loving the classic look of that Timex! My favorite of what’s been shared lately.

I have yet to get bitten by the watch bug yet but I have my eye on a few; one really hard to find and befitting with my lifestyle. Hate to bring down the quality of what’s already been presented but this is my daily companion; most I ever spent on a watch ($300 at the time), has a digital compass and a solar backup battery. I use it for mountain biking & kayaking as well.

38EEB651-1DA1-42C1-A22B-865781A3E7A1.jpeg

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are the two I have my eye on. The rarer of the two is an aviator 1940’s Benrus Sky Chief; if you can find one they usually go for $3K. It’s a timeless masterpiece...probably not the best description for something that tells time :lol:.

http://www.secondtimearoundwatchco.com/watches-for-sale/benrus/sky-chief/8398

371EDF90-409F-4150-A239-67F37334D04E.jpeg

Until I find her, this is my next goal: a Citizen Promaster Nighthawk Eco Drive. Did I tell you I had a thing for Aviator watches, American Optical Pilot sunglasses, and pilot bomber jackets? What can I say I was always fascinated with Top Gun & anything aviation growing up.

133EA59C-B79D-4578-BD1E-369EA98C8F0B.jpeg

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Loving the classic look of that Timex! My favorite of what’s been shared lately.

I have yet to get bitten by the watch bug yet but I have my eye on a few; one really hard to find and befitting with my lifestyle. Hate to bring down the quality of what’s already been presented but this is my daily companion; most I ever spent on a watch ($300 at the time), has a digital compass and a solar backup battery. I use it for mountain biking & kayaking as well.

View attachment 976633
Otter, no shame in that. To each his own in the watch world. My most expensive watch is a quartz movado, and I only wear it when I dress up. I plan to dive in to the watch world at some point, but for now, wearing what I enjoy takes precedence.

Last edited:

GzStudio

Reaction score
The nighthawk was my first ‘expensive’ watch that I think I got 15 or so years ago. Saw it in a display case and loved it. Then, during the ‘big’ watch craze, I got this ecozilla in Jamaica, another citizen. Still have them and use them.

D740067E-D7E4-4B05-B96F-627D57F08FB5.jpeg

Stratkat

Reaction score

View attachment 976633
Lifestyle... funny, remember when people bought watches to tell time, trucks to do work, bags to carry gear/clothing? My dad never gave it much thought, he figured what he needed and bought it... different time. As I write this I am at a dealership, and the salesmen and I were talking about how our father’s would probably have a good laugh and be amazed at what they are asking for trucks and what they have for options.
Just an observation... these are my thoughts as I sit here

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Loving the watches and photos guys!

Feeling patriotic today for obvious reasons. Here is my Grandfather’s mid 70s English Rotary with Swiss movement. Not an expensive watch but in lovely condition. Lives in rotation with my ‘69 1601 Datejust and ‘08 Sub Date.
D8944AE4-A651-4661-AA5B-4DDF6094CE24.jpeg

And more British stuff for today- out for a post wedding walk.
413E5BA0-A9CF-4CB4-AD69-25B79B75BEEA.jpeg

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never really had the money for a DRSD, but did own a beautiful 1665 Great White a couple of years back. It was lovely, but stressed me out too much to wear it, so off it went. Really wish I still had it, but I like not having to worry about inflicting nicks, dings, and scratches on my watches, so I've moved away from the pricey vintage watches.

Your post really resonated with me. I had a few of the vintage Rolex sports watches bought when they were a lot cheaper. But as they became more valuable and scarce, I was always worried about a deep gouge or worse yet, taking it in for a service and having the dial swapped out with new replacement parts or the case overpolished. So it bred a certain OCD neuroses which took the fun completely out of it.

The IWC 3536 in my photo is nice, uncommon in RL, but not crazy valuable or thiefbait so I just wear it constantly, embrace the ravages of time on it and generally enjoy the sh@t out of it. I was wearing it when I visited the IWC factory in Schaffhausen years ago. It’s sort of the terminus of my long wristwatch habit.

I think the Filson field satchel is like that too. Nice enough to use it with pride, but not so nice that I sweat every scratch.

Stratkat

Reaction score
Your post really resonated with me. I had a few of the vintage Rolex sports watches bought when they were a lot cheaper. But as they became more valuable and scarce, I was always worried about a deep gouge or worse yet, taking it in for a service and having the dial swapped out with new replacement parts or the case overpolished. So it bred a certain OCD neuroses which took the fun completely out of it.

The IWC 3536 in my photo is nice, uncommon in RL, but not crazy valuable or thiefbait so I just wear it constantly, embrace the ravages of time on it and generally enjoy the sh@t out of it. I was wearing it when I visited the IWC factory in Schaffhausen years ago. It’s sort of the terminus of my long wristwatch habit.

I think the Filson field satchel is like that too. Nice enough to use it with pride, but not so nice that I sweat every scratch.
I love that satchel, I was saddened to see that they discontinued it...

masayako

Reaction score
These are the two I have my eye on. The rarer of the two is an aviator 1940’s Benrus Sky Chief; if you can find one they usually go for $3K. It’s a timeless masterpiece...probably not the best description for something that tells time :lol:.

http://www.secondtimearoundwatchco.com/watches-for-sale/benrus/sky-chief/8398

View attachment 976639

Until I find her, this is my next goal: a Citizen Promaster Nighthawk Eco Drive. Did I tell you I had a thing for Aviator watches, American Optical Pilot sunglasses, and pilot bomber jackets? What can I say I was always fascinated with Top Gun & anything aviation growing up.

View attachment 976640

Very BEAUTIFUL watches!! Wow.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads