• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tomatic

Reaction score
Fixed, cleaned and resealed a vintage 256 the other day. The Talon zippers are indeed smooth like butter in comparison.

IMG_1866.jpg

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The nighthawk was my first ‘expensive’ watch that I think I got 15 or so years ago. Saw it in a display case and loved it. Then, during the ‘big’ watch craze, I got this ecozilla in Jamaica, another citizen. Still have them and use them.

View attachment 976641

Wow beautiful! what a coincidence. :fonz: I thought I wanted a brown leather band until I saw your metal band, wow it really brings out the little idiosyncrasies of the watch. Glad you still have and use them both, that's reassuring to me.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 976907
Nice watches, everyone! My unbranded-B-Uhr-beater-not-worth-stealing watch. Cordovan watch strap was natural veg tanned, now with mirror shine on outside ... talk about patina.

Beautiful band, loving that Patina!! With a band like that, your watch is totally worth stealing :lol:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very BEAUTIFUL watches!! Wow.

Thanks! I especially like the 1940's Benrus. That is a watch I see myself keeping for life, if I can unearth one. It's older than my father (born December 30th 1949) so...technically born in the 40's haha

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

mykoh

Reaction score
Hey folks, just wondering what are your thoughts on the cracking of the leather on the handle? Is it normal? The bag's from 2011 btw.
s-l1600.jpg

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey folks, just wondering what are your thoughts on the cracking of the leather on the handle? Is it normal? The bag's from 2011 btw.
View attachment 977425
I’d be unhappy with it like that. Worth contacting Filson and sending a photo or going to a store. At a guess your problem will be whether they replace rather than repair. Is it a 256 or 257? If it’s a 257 I assume they would more likely repair as they don’t make it any more.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 977425
I agree with Speedy. That is not normal. Based on the fact that you have a handgrip, it's probably a 257, which is no longer made. That could be a challenge for you.

If the cracking isn't too bad, I wonder if some Obenauf's wouldn't be in order to try to heal it. That said, it does look like it's pretty cracked already. The way the strap on the left is curling like that, looks to me like it's extra dry.

I'm curious - is this a bag that has been used often? I would think/hope that the process of picking it up, setting it down, oils from your hands, etc., wouldn't result in that kind of cracking.

Just wondering.

Tom Lebrando

Reaction score
My strap is natural shell as well. Not as much patina though. Cool watch. Who makes it?

Thanks lbcgav! The watch is a Maratec Large Automatic Pilot's Watch from Countycomm. The strap was the natural cordovan from Tanner Goods. I realized it's not even worth buying a colored version from them since the darkening is pretty extensive on these bands. Don't worry, your cordovan strap will get a deep dark brown eventually. I wear my watch everyday, all day (not in shower, though) which may have contributed to deepness of the patina (3+ years).

mykoh

Reaction score
Thanks for the input everyone! It's actually a 257 on eBay i was very close to buying. I'm not in the US unfortunately, so getting repairs done is going to be tough.

Davey13

Reaction score
Well, still searching for that otter green 257 in great condition. No luck, starting to lose hope lol. Really though, I know the search is part of the fun but I've seen two on ebay now that have weird bleach stains. Not sure how more than one seller managed to spill bleach on their bags, but whatever.

Was the Talon zippers on all 257s before bedrock took over? Or was only the really old ones that have the Talon zippers?

A few posts back someone mentioned the Talon zippers being much smoother than the newer ones. Is that true? It doesn't necessarily matter to me, as I'm looking for any green 257 that hasn't been patina'd by someone else, so I'll take what I can find but still curious.

Thanks, and loving those watches. I may have to add one of those Nighthawks to my list now, of more crap to buy that I can't afford lol.

Ah, the search continues...

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member