• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually drive to a business meeting if it takes me slightly longer vs. flying. That was the case a couple days ago. I put my suit and dress shirts/slacks in a garment bag (not Filson:embar:). My sundry items are in the small duffle and the lappy and papers are in the 256.
A8uOgP3.jpg

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The recent Filson catalog indicates the capacity of the luggage in liters. Some from memory:

Journeyman 20L
Heritage Sportsman: 21L
Small Duffle: 33L
Medium Duffle: 43L
Large Duffle: 75L

It makes sense - as I always thought the small duffle carried way beyond its initial appearance would suggest. It's less than 25% smaller than the medium.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The recent Filson catalog indicates the capacity of the luggage in liters. Some from memory:

Journeyman 20L
Heritage Sportsman: 21L
Small Duffle: 33L
Medium Duffle: 43L
Large Duffle: 75L

It makes sense - as I always thought the small duffle carried way beyond its initial appearance would suggest. It's less than 25% smaller than the medium.
That would make total sense. I really love the Heritage Sportsman bag but the extra pockets on the outside just really don't do anything for it - they don't really add any value.

Comparing the outside dimensions of both:
Heritage Sportsman: 18 x 11 x 7.5 = 1,485 cubic inches
Small Duffle: 18 x 10 x 11 = 1,980 cubic inches

That means the Sportsman is about 22-25% smaller both in terms of cubic inches and liters. (as you quote above).

And - not to get too detailed - but the small duffle is about 25% smaller than the large duffle. Is that a trend?

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mgrennier, converting the external dimensions into liters, one gets 24.3L (more than Filson's calculation) for the Heritage and 32.4L for the small duffle which gives you a third more capacity for the small duffle.

So suggesting if one finds the Heritage just a little small and the medium duffle a bit big than the small duffle is your bag. This jibes with my general perception that the small duffle is a useful size yet easy to carry full.

These measurements make sense as I recall seeing 25L is personal item sized and 45L is generally maximum carryon size.

Last edited:

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mgrennier, converting the external dimensions into liters, one gets 24.3L (more than Filson's calculation) for the Heritage and 32.4L for the small duffle which gives you a third more capacity for the small duffle.

So suggesting if one finds the Heritage just a little small and the medium duffle a bit big than the small duffle is your bag. This jibes with my general perception that the small duffle is a useful size yet easy to carry full.
And ...... now I have to buy a Small Duffle. Damn you....

:)

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And ...... now I have to buy a Small Duffle. Damn you....

:)
LOL I'm on the lookout for a small otter green duffle with the storm flap and talon zippers. (surprise surprise surprise pre-bedrock :deadhorse:)

I found a tan on ebay... but its not otter green so :facepalm:...It has more of a patina than i'd like...if anyone's gonna patina it its me lol.

Here's the link in case you're be interested in it. Disregard the typo; it's clearly not a medium (i.e. the dimensions he has listed are way off for the medium, especially the old medium)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Fil...677429?hash=item2381fcb435:g:UiYAAOSwpkFY6rdH

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LOL I'm on the lookout for a small otter green duffle with the storm flap and talon zippers. (surprise surprise surprise pre-bedrock :deadhorse:)

I found a tan on ebay... but its not otter green so :facepalm:...It has more of a patina than i'd like...if anyone's gonna patina it its me lol.

Here's the link in case you're be interested in it. Disregard the typo; it's clearly not a medium (i.e. the dimensions he has listed are way off for the medium, especially the old medium)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Fil...677429?hash=item2381fcb435:g:UiYAAOSwpkFY6rdH

People must be reading this thread as I see more Ebay listings indicating Talon zippers or highlighting that it's an older bag with the better leather. The more we post about it, the more the vintage prices increase!

Of the more recent Filson production, I really like the limited production 34oz "heavy tin" bags from about 3 years ago. No exaggeration - these bags make the 22oz twill feel like the tin cloth bags in comparison. I have the old "medium" duffle in the "moss" green which I typically check. The heavy tin shows no sign of wear or even staining even after repeated trips. It is stiff and rigid too...almost like tin. The leather is also not pitting ;though not fading like the very old production bags). And it sold for less than the regular 22oz bags!

ScottyG77

Reaction score
People must be reading this thread as I see more Ebay listings indicating Talon zippers or highlighting that it's an older bag with the better leather. The more we post about it, the more the vintage prices increase!

Of the more recent Filson production, I really like the limited production 34oz "heavy tin" bags from about 3 years ago. No exaggeration - these bags make the 22oz twill feel like the tin cloth bags in comparison. I have the old "medium" duffle in the "moss" green which I typically check. The heavy tin shows no sign of wear or even staining even after repeated trips. It is stiff and rigid too...almost like tin.

I do see some expensive bags labeled 'vintage' on ebay, but looking at sold listings, people are paying the prices. If you look at the prices relative to the current retail prices of the new bags, it's a no brainer on which to buy.

I love heavy tin. I use the briefcase but also the small and medium duffle, my favorite material. hopefully they bring it back from the 'archives' someday.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree, ScottyG77. You're still paying about 1/2 the retail price when you buy used. The bags also look great with some miles on them to boot.

I wish I had bought the heavy tin briefcase when they were readily available. If I recalled, they didn't have the top flap which I thought was cool.

ScottyG77

Reaction score
Agree, ScottyG77. You're still paying about 1/2 the retail price when you buy used. The bags also look great with some miles on them to boot.

I wish I had bought the heavy tin briefcase when they were readily available. If I recalled, they didn't have the top flap which I thought was cool.

The heavy tin briefcase I have has the top flap (moss color) from 2014. Not sure if there was another one that I missed?

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see that "medium" duffle also comes with a Filson luggage tag too. They discontinued those and I always meant to get one.

I don't know if anyone else saw this but eBay had a tan sportsman yesterday where someone had cut off one of the side pockets! More evidence of the bulky issue previously noted here??!

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought I remember seeing a listing for a luggage tag go for well over $100. So maybe one buys the tag and gets the duffle as a bonus!

I did see the Sportsman with the pocketectomy! I thought that was a bit extreme since just keeping it empty has nearly the same effect as excision in 'debulking'.

But some people are like that with the modifications. On this very thread, there was a guy who machine washed his medium duffle to try and shrink his bag. He also cut the handle straps to shorten them. Not to great effect, IMHO.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought I remember seeing a listing for a luggage tag go for well over $100. So maybe one buys the tag and gets the duffle as a bonus!

I did see the Sportsman with the pocketectomy! I thought that was a bit extreme since just keeping it empty has nearly the same effect as excision in 'debulking'.

But some people are like that with the modifications. On this very thread, there was a guy who machine washed his medium duffle to try and shrink his bag. He also cut the handle straps to shorten them. Not to great effect, IMHO.

I remember that post too about the shrinking and straps!

Here's an idea - you buy the duffle and send me the tag for an agreed price :) !

I'm literally sitting in an airport typing this surrounded by my 261,256 and wife's nanamica 261. My large duffle is checked in. I'm really glad I got the large bit the medium - every time I use it I think it's awesome.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I partially echo ScottyG77's experience which is why despite loving the 266, I still think it's a fairly specialized bag in my arsenal. Quite a few times, I have packed the 266 for a flight and then said "nah" when looking at the bag and seeing it looked nearly as wide as it was long. It works best for me as a companion piece to a larger checked duffle or as a all-in-one bag for shorter summer vacation travel (i.e. no bulky clothes).

If I need to pack a lot of clothes in an easy-to-carry smaller bag - I typically reach for the small duffle. I have done up to 5 day business trips with just the small duffle and a brief case.

I use the 266 for what it is intended for. Not sure if that makes it specialized or not. Wish I would have picked up the other 2 colors before it was dropped so that I could color code by gauge.

Yeah I'd have a hard time using it for clothing IMO there are better options. And I am not a fan of straight line zippered duffel bags unless they are built as a bucket mouth. U shaped zippers and clamshells are my personal preference.

Got back earlier this week from a 7 day personal trip, my mothers 80th birthday, so no need to take the 258 only took a tablet. Wheeled carry on pretty much goes every where with me and is a foundation base to stack and carry other bags. Which is often the Pullman. Not the small thing they sell now but the one that can be packed full and checked in. Or under packed and make carry on limits.

A pullman on a modern day pullman, Amtrak sleeper car. Both fit in the overhead storage rack perfectly BTW.

pullmanCarryOn.jpg

There was a time when a pair of Filson tin pants would stand up on their own and were great brush pants. Those days are over.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Of the more recent Filson production, I really like the limited production 34oz "heavy tin" bags from about 3 years ago. No exaggeration - these bags make the 22oz twill feel like the tin cloth bags in comparison. I have the old "medium" duffle in the "moss" green which I typically check. The heavy tin shows no sign of wear or even staining even after repeated trips. It is stiff and rigid too...almost like tin. The leather is also not pitting ;though not fading like the very old production bags). And it sold for less than the regular 22oz bags!

LOL in that case I'll shut my mouth (maybe). Although as of late I've encountered certain people who still don't know what they have (like my 257). I may have a lead on a 266 with a very FAIR price. (its also an older 266...October 2010). Hey speaking of which, when did the Sportsman 266 debut?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads