• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, I need a new summer hat, for things like yard work and fishing....how in the the hell does one tell what size one needs, the Filson site does not have any reference or measurement advice. I have no idea if I'm a S, M, L , XL , 2XL. I may just have to go to a local store and buy something I can try on, even if not the Filson I want. Anyone know WTF the sizing means/

Their hats (especially Ball Caps) run very big...as in Stewie from Family Guy big. I tried on 10 different hats until I found one that fit me and even then it ran much bigger then what's normal for me. I couldn't recommend the Otter Green Rugged Twill Logger Cap enough, it's the best hat I have ever owned and it still looks new. The brass clasp in the back is already developing Hulk Matter and obviously I love that. It's a discontinued model but they have new editions. It's practically water proof and breathes really well (unlike the Tin Cloth stuff), so perfect for summer. I once got caught in a downpour walking back to Penn Station from the Javits Center Auto Show in Manhattan. A 1/2 mile walk in typical NYC congestion and I arrived with a completely dry head while my buddies were soaked and miserable.

My Cap:

Edition after mine (it's in stock too). Not many places have these left

The aforementioned storm

A8442E15-B44F-4601-B512-8AB6813FBB9B.jpeg

A131A443-EBD7-429E-BFBB-793FEB5BCA71.jpeg

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Their hats (especially Ball Caps) run very big...as in Stewie from Family Guy big. I tried on 10 different hats until I found one that fit me and even then it ran much bigger then what's normal for me. I couldn't recommend the Otter Green Rugged Twill Logger Cap enough, it's the best hat I have ever owned and it still looks new. The brass clasp in the back is already developing Hulk Matter and obviously I love that. It's a discontinued model but they have new editions. It's practically water proof and breathes really well (unlike the Tin Cloth stuff), so perfect for summer. I once got caught in a downpour walking back to Penn Station from the Javits Center Auto Show in Manhattan. A 1/2 mile walk in typical NYC congestion and I arrived with a completely dry head while my buddies were soaked and miserable.

My Cap:

Edition after mine (it's in stock too). Not many places have these left

The aforementioned storm

View attachment 1411641

View attachment 1411642 wan
I want a Filson hat, but the problem is I have no idea what size to order. I love all my
Filson, and would love a hat for mowing/fishing/walking dog/ etc... but I can't find any sizing info on the
Filson web site....perhaps they really don't want to sell product to people who want to purchase, but need sizing info. I understand that some people may know their hat size, but I don't, so would appreciate a sizing guide.I'm already sold on the hats , just need to know what size to order. This used to be easy, prior to Venture Capital ownership of companies, just give me a freaking size guide for God's sake, it's not that hard. I'm already sold on the product, just need to know what to order based on measurement.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want a Filson hat, but the problem is I have no idea what size to order. I love all my
Filson, and would love a hat for mowing/fishing/walking dog/ etc... but I can't find any sizing info on the
Filson web site....perhaps they really don't want to sell product to people who want to purchase, but need sizing info. I understand that some people may know their hat size, but I don't, so would appreciate a sizing guide.I'm already sold on the hats , just need to know what size to order. This used to be easy, prior to Venture Capital ownership of companies, just give me a freaking size guide for God's sake, it's not that hard. I'm already sold on the product, just need to know what to order based on measurement.

I feel your pain. Hat sizes are weird cause as I mentioned, their hats (like their garments) run big and everyone's head size is different. I don't wear fitted hats so I don't know my size off hand but I would say my head size is a medium...if that helps (which probably not). Most if not all of their hats are adjustable with a thin leather strap (only complaint) and brass clasp. Unless of course you want a Packer (not my style) or a Tin Cloth cap then you would need to know your size. However as I have illustrated previously your head will feel like an oven with either, that is Tin Cloth's kryptonite (air)

Here's a great size guide for those, and an even better option then buying from Filson.com, as you get 20% with a email signup.

Moosejaw.com

size guide.PNG

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I feel your pain. Hat sizes are weird cause as I mentioned, their hats (like their garments) run big and everyone's head size is different. I don't wear fitted hats so I don't know my size off hand but I would say my head size is a medium...if that helps (which probably not). Most if not all of their hats are adjustable with a thin leather strap (only complaint) and brass clasp. Unless of course you want a Packer (not my style) or a Tin Cloth cap then you would need to know your size. However as I have illustrated previously your head will feel like an oven with either, that is Tin Cloth's kryptonite (air)

Here's a great size guide for those, and an even better option then buying from Filson.com, as you get 20% with a email signup.

Moosejaw.com

View attachment 1411654
I'm interested in a Packer hat. Filson CS has not responded to my inquiry as to sizing, after 2 days. I'm going to go to a local store, buy one that fits, don't care about brand. Filson has lost a customer, all because they didn't see fit to list a sizing guide on their web site. Filson of old would have had this, Bedrock Filson doesn't seem to give a ****.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in a Packer hat. Filson CS has not responded to my inquiry as to sizing, after 2 days. I'm going to go to a local store, buy one that fits, don't care about brand. Filson has lost a customer, all because they didn't see fit to list a sizing guide on their web site. Filson of old would have had this, Bedrock Filson doesn't seem to give a ****.

I’m not gonna argue with you about bedrock, but doesn’t the sizing guide I posted help? It was snipped directly from the Packer Hat. Also I would research reviews on the Packer Hat for hot weather use. It’s definitely the most classic Filson hat, however it has its imposed limitations, airflow being one of them. It shines in rain, wind and winter though.

Winston2

Reaction score
If Filson CS does not respond soon and you look at another brand, I recommend Tilley. I got mine 18 years ago for a sailing trip, and it has been a great hat. And, it has a cool hidden compartment in the top to put dollar bills or a credit card. Tilley has a lifetime warranty, but I haven’t had to use it. I don’t know about recent Tilley hats; hopefully, they have maintained their standards and quality.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Did you try googling it?

https://www.filson.com/fit-guide.html

If you sent a message on a Sunday, I’d be patient. A lot of companies are short staffed and have limited hours right now.

Davey13

Reaction score
@mgrennier and @Davey13 just when I was giving this guy credit for a fairly priced rare Filson, he does something like this. We got similar totes free from the Store Manager from the Flagship store in NYC. The only difference is the dog and logo design, which could fetch some money, but not $175, which is $0.50 less then a #260 Open Tote from Filson.com (10% discount applied) :lol:

Still got mine too, and will always treasure it as a fond memory.

Kwaker

Reaction score
If Filson CS does not respond soon and you look at another brand, I recommend Tilley. I got mine 18 years ago for a sailing trip, and it has been a great hat. And, it has a cool hidden compartment in the top to put dollar bills or a credit card. Tilley has a lifetime warranty, but I haven’t had to use it. I don’t know about recent Tilley hats; hopefully, they have maintained their standards and quality.
Yes, Tilley’s are made here in Toronto. Mine is over 25 years old.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got my response from Filson, I am ok now.Thanks for all the responses to my "rant"

No worries, we all have them. Hope you consider ordering from Moosejaw.com. They are an authorized Filson retailer and such a terrific company with a great message to the outdoor community. Plus it's hard to beat 20% off every time you order something no matter what day. I heard they were recently bought by WalMart, so let's hope (like Harry's) that isn't a con.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No worries, we all have them. Hope you consider ordering from Moosejaw.com. They are an authorized Filson retailer and such a terrific company with a great message to the outdoor community. Plus it's hard to beat 20% off every time you order something no matter what day. I heard they were recently bought by WalMart, so let's hope (like Harry's) that isn't a con.
WalMart did buy them:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
WalMart did buy them:

Yeah they do that sometimes to improve their website, it'll be back up soon, was online last night. To be fair I have only ordered from them after that acquisition, and I was blown away from their performance. Definitely gonna remain a supporter of theirs.

I am not against company growth under the right circumstances. Companies like Moosejaw, Backcountry, Hank's (Formally) have extensive brand offerings and are mainly a online resource. Neither have illustrious company histories like Filson, which I wish would embrace it's roots more (especially lately). However that is impossible with their current ownership and heading, so i can only dream.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads