• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen and ladies, wanted to get your thoughts on quite a cool bag that I grabbed not long ago. I believe that they called this the “Trapper Pack”.

DB61AF29-2796-485A-BDC1-149016453F5D.jpeg

No, I didn’t pay the insane sticker price on it, but one can see why Filson May have felt justified to demand such a price. I heard the restoration department guys same the bag took 16+ hours to construct, so just the labor puts Filson probably $800+ in after benefits and all that.

Some of my observations: 1) It’s HUGE and made entirely of leather and hardware. No fabric. It is the same size (and weight-maybe heavier) than my rolling carry on. Off the bat, it’s clear that you have to be a very big person to make carrying this bag For any extended period of time feasible. I think it would be ok to walk through an airport, but hiking would be out of the question unless you are Paul Bunyan. 2) The materials are exquisite. Leather so thick and firm all the way through that I’m confident it would take at least one full lifetime to break it down. It also has that waxy feel to some of it that the harness leather has. 3) it’s becoming more and more clear that the materials they are procuring for workshop items are superior to their standard line. I guess this makes sense with the price difference, but it’s something to be aware of for current buyers of new Filson products.

Interested to hear what all your thoughts are on it. I personally like the bag a lot, just really wonder about the practicality of it. I also like my ranger a lot, so not sure a backpack, even a very high end one, is something I need right now. That said, it’s always hard to move something that is this unique, with only a handful of them being made. Cool bag, nice detailing, and good to see Filson being adventurous with some of their offerings even if it is at pretty insane prices.

D0E8D53E-ABB6-4187-995B-C93B808F71F6.jpeg

A4E7DFC7-413C-4819-BAA7-FAB48F94CC99.jpeg

5FCFC6D8-A8C7-498D-8E63-9739DC8C5A44.jpeg

31B323DD-5774-496A-B024-FDD1F866BD01.jpeg
520AECA6-B289-4FAE-B9F7-37F5EF5B42F7.jpeg
6E1543C5-F65B-48F6-97F1-4B6110AB51AA.jpeg
0AC54F56-F065-4E8C-86F1-CE46543F63B7.jpeg
05B856B1-EA4D-400B-8332-1C18DFB01026.jpeg

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
Gentlemen and ladies, wanted to get your thoughts on quite a cool bag that I grabbed not long ago. I believe that they called this the “Trapper Pack”.

View attachment 1411962

No, I didn’t pay the insane sticker price on it, but one can see why Filson May have felt justified to demand such a price. I heard the restoration department guys same the bag took 16+ hours to construct, so just the labor puts Filson probably $800+ in after benefits and all that.

Some of my observations: 1) It’s HUGE and made entirely of leather and hardware. No fabric. It is the same size (and weight-maybe heavier) than my rolling carry on. Off the bat, it’s clear that you have to be a very big person to make carrying this bag For any extended period of time feasible. I think it would be ok to walk through an airport, but hiking would be out of the question unless you are Paul Bunyan. 2) The materials are exquisite. Leather so thick and firm all the way through that I’m confident it would take at least one full lifetime to break it down. It also has that waxy feel to some of it that the harness leather has. 3) it’s becoming more and more clear that the materials they are procuring for workshop items are superior to their standard line. I guess this makes sense with the price difference, but it’s something to be aware of for current buyers of new Filson products.

Interested to hear what all your thoughts are on it. I personally like the bag a lot, just really wonder about the practicality of it. I also like my ranger a lot, so not sure a backpack, even a very high end one, is something I need right now. That said, it’s always hard to move something that is this unique, with only a handful of them being made. Cool bag, nice detailing, and good to see Filson being adventurous with some of their offerings even if it is at pretty insane prices.

View attachment 1411959
View attachment 1411960
View attachment 1411961
View attachment 1411964 View attachment 1411965 View attachment 1411966 View attachment 1411967 View attachment 1411968
I think this bag is way, way overdone. It’s borderline crazy. I’m not sure I like the fringes. But, I’ll bet they look just fine in person. All of that is my way of saying I like it a lot. Wow. It is really something. I’ll admit to being a bit jealous of that possession. If you know where there is another one at a reasonable price, please let me know. I know. I know. Define reasonable.

I can’t help but wonder how that will age. If you can somehow use the heck out of it for the next, say..., 10 years, you might have some patina to talk about. LOL

I say it is a great find and really unique. Congratulations on procuring that. Have you used it at all yet? How long have you had it?

Dad Shoes

Reaction score

View attachment 1411962

View attachment 1411959
View attachment 1411960
View attachment 1411961
View attachment 1411964 View attachment 1411965 View attachment 1411966 View attachment 1411967 View attachment 1411968
Wow, wouldn't have known that was from Filson if I saw it somewhere other than here. Looks more RRL than Filson (which is not a bad thing, btw:cool:)

Last edited:

seven20

Reaction score
If anyone is looking for a tan 24 hour I have one that is new with tags I am looking to part with. I just order the Navy from filson.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@A JEDI IM I agree almost entirely. I can’t tell whether I love it, hate it, or love it but would be embarrassed to carry around such a monstrosity. I could probably do without some of the frilling of the leather on the top, but you are correct that in person it doesnt look quite as intense. I would say daily use for 10 years would almost break it in. ?. Had it for a few months. Trying to decide if I should keep or not. Need to use it to justify it. I mean, I could use it and then sell it down the road... always an option! Unfortunately I don’t have a line on another but if I come across one at a “reasonable” price I can let you know! I have always wanted to have a Filson Forum “conference” in Seattle where we get together and show off all our stuff so that we could all toss around stuff like this. It’s pretty ridiculous in person.

@Dad Shoes I thought the same thing about RRL. It was priced like RRL too! Lol. Supposedly it was modeled after an “unearthed trapper pack from the 18th century”. My question is where did they find that!?

@FilsonDude not sure if that’s an insult or a compliment but I’ll choose the latter. ;) People like myself who make a little business out of it have an easier time justifying spending a little cash every once in a while for something unique. This definitely qualifies for unique in my book!

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1411962

View attachment 1411959
View attachment 1411960
View attachment 1411961
Crazy bag. I think the RRL comparison is bang on - both in terms of the overbuilt and very stylised design, but also the price. RRL folk would probably consider the MSP to be on par.
As to keep or sell...I have no idea. It’s nice to have great bags like vintage and modern Filson. But beating them up is part of the fun. A bag like this, and with its implied value, tends to get babied. You might also argue (oddly) that it’s not really Filson. It’s made by a craftsman in Filson facility, but bears none of the signature elements of a Filson bag. So it could have been made by a master leather worker from anywhere really.
I’d love to see it in person though!

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
That thing even has fringe work on the inside flap! But, look at the detail with the hatch embossing on the straps. It’s really something special. I totally can see the RRL reference. But, I’m sure this is made better than anything RL ever put out. Maybe that is too bold a statement. It does look like this thing is build like the proverbial brick **** house. I think if you were to commit to it, it would mold to your shape and really become almost a part of you. Ugh. I’m romanticizing bags. Even in this crowd, I’m blushing. If you tire of it, let’s talk. :)

Aren’t you the one with the Smokey watch too? If so, you have the coolest stuff.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Crazy bag. I think the RRL comparison is bang on - both in terms of the overbuilt and very stylised design, but also the price. RRL folk would probably consider the MSP to be on par.
As to keep or sell...I have no idea. It’s nice to have great bags like vintage and modern Filson. But beating them up is part of the fun. A bag like this, and with its implied value, tends to get babied. You might also argue (oddly) that it’s not really Filson. It’s made by a craftsman in Filson facility, but bears none of the signature elements of a Filson bag. So it could have been made by a master leather worker from anywhere really.
I’d love to see it in person though!
You do make an interesting point that @Dad Shoes already hinted at. How Filson is it really? The very large and heavy storm flap is the only true “filson” characteristic. I think you had this same concern over my denim 256 haha.

Maybe I should, but I don’t tend to baby things, even things of value. My Smokey watch gets worn while digging trenches in the yard and mudding drywall. Should I be more careful? maybe. But ultimately I know I’m going to have it forever (or until I lose it) so a little ding here and there doesn’t deter me. It’s when I’m not sure it’s a forever item that I end up babying something and that’s no way to live :) haha. Come to the states and you can definitely see it in person!

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You do make an interesting point that @Dad Shoes already hinted at. How Filson is it really? The very large and heavy storm flap is the only true “filson” characteristic. I think you had this same concern over my denim 256 haha.

Maybe I should, but I don’t tend to baby things, even things of value. My Smokey watch gets worn while digging trenches in the yard and mudding drywall. Should I be more careful? maybe. But ultimately I know I’m going to have it forever (or until I lose it) so a little ding here and there doesn’t deter me. It’s when I’m not sure it’s a forever item that I end up babying something and that’s no way to live :) haha. Come to the states and you can definitely see it in person!
Dings and such, are patina, and a lot of things (Bags/shoes/boots/coats....etc) are better with patina. It is YOUR mark on the item, no one else will ever have the exact same item. Embrace the wear/dings and carry on!

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you for the invite :)
I do agree. Commit and proceed. I guess it’s a really fine line between appreciating quality and craftsmanship and becoming so obsessive someone can’t or won’t use something.

on fringes: I read once that Native American Indians used them as rain channels to keep the underneath layer of hide drier. Kilty fringes on boots serve the same purpose to move water away from the tongue/vamp seam. Your bag has the fringes over the seams too, so that’s handy. For when you trek through a rainstorm for hours in the backcountry with a freshly shot moose over your shoulders....

:)

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
Thank you for the invite :)
I do agree. Commit and proceed. I guess it’s a really fine line between appreciating quality and craftsmanship and becoming so obsessive someone can’t or won’t use something.

on fringes: I read once that Native American Indians used them as rain channels to keep the underneath layer of hide drier. Kilty fringes on boots serve the same purpose to move water away from the tongue/vamp seam. Your bag has the fringes over the seams too, so that’s handy. For when you trek through a rainstorm for hours in the backcountry with a freshly shot moose over your shoulders....

:)

Dang! I learned something. I always assumed they were ornamental. Great add, Speedy. Thanks.

FilsonDude

Reaction score
@FilsonDude not sure if that’s an insult or a compliment but I’ll choose the latter. ;) People like myself who make a little business out of it have an easier time justifying spending a little cash every once in a while for something unique. This definitely qualifies for unique in my book!

Only compliments for fellow Filson owners

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1411962

View attachment 1411959
View attachment 1411960
View attachment 1411961

As beautiful as the day you first shared that with me by text after its arrival. While I admit it's not my thing, as it embodies everything I dislike about Saddleback Leather Products (weight), it is the definition of craftsmanship and all things overbuilt. Thanks for sharing that with us. I was wondering when you were gonna be posting it and you did not disappoint.

I'm actually more drawn to the custom label, that thing alone could command some coins

lab3l.PNG

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you can somehow use the heck out of it for the next, say..., 10 years, you might have some patina to talk about.

Just need to find a Mr. Paul Bunyan now, wonder if he has an eBay account.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeKirk