• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Filet mignon

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
+1.

And no sauces on my filet, please. Maybe a peppercorn sauce from time to time. If the meat is of a good enough quality, putting a sauce on it can be a crime, IMO. I bought some wonderful prime filets recently and one of the folks I was cooking for made me soak theirs in Worchestershire sauce. A little piece of my heart died.

Prime fillet, some grilled veggies and an aged bordeaux or cali cab and you will make me a happy boy.

+1 would you soak a great piece of shashimi in sauce?

I think a cab is too strong for most filets. Especially cabs from Cali. I'd rather go with a fine fine pinot n.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
+1 would you soak a great piece of shashimi in sauce?

I think a cab is too strong for most filets. Especially cabs from Cali. I'd rather go with a fine fine pinot n.

What? You've never eaten with those people who put enough wasabi in their soy to make it milk colored. When you look at them funny, they are like "what a *****. Can't take it hot?". My pet peeve is those people who dip their already sauces sushi in soy and wasabi.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
What? You've never eaten with those people who put enough wasabi in their soy to make it milk colored. When you look at them funny, they are like "what a *****. Can't take it hot?". My pet peeve is those people who dip their already sauces sushi in soy and wasabi.

No, mainly because I only end up eating sushi with japanese people.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GrillinFool
It's funny how there are anti Filet people out there that seem snobby to me. And now there are people that are praising it like it's the single greatest cut of meat on the planet as if it were manna from Heaven.
No, no ... Foie Gras is manna from heaven.

Just dip it in a little soy and wasabi ... (just joshin')

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I get more flavor in a filet from seasoning about an hour before cooking. Salt draws the moisture out and then reaches a point when it is absorbed back into the meat. Think this was in an issue from A.T.K. Seems to help in saturating the flavor.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Originally Posted by SField
No, mainly because I only end up eating sushi with japanese people.

You guys are weird. The Japanese friends I eat sushi with grab it and lightly dip it upside down in shoyu before eating. Giving it a little dip is fine and nothing worth ridiculing. Same goes for wanting a little bit more wasabi if that's your preference.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
I get more flavor in a filet from seasoning about an hour before cooking. Salt draws the moisture out and then reaches a point when it is absorbed back into the meat. Think this was in an issue from A.T.K. Seems to help in saturating the flavor.

that is a pretty well-established technique. i think the first big proponent, and the one i learned it from, was judy rogers at zuni.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
You guys are weird. The Japanese friends I eat sushi with grab it and lightly dip it upside down in shoyu before eating. Giving it a little dip is fine and nothing worth ridiculing. Same goes for wanting a little bit more wasabi if that's your preference.

A friend of mine he is a Japanese from the Japan it self. I go with this man to eat the sutshis at a restarante that is called a authentic Japanese restarante. We go to inside of this restarante and there is a sutshis and also a rices and also a bottle of sauce for you to pour into your sutshis and your rices. Well my friends, I gained too much of these sauce into my plate and my friend the Japanese man, he laugh at me and he tell me these is no good! Then we order the sutshis and they are bringing the sutshipieces to my plate. These is pieces of sutshis is like raw fish, at first I think they are poopoo to serve me these raw fish taste, but I bite into these sutshi and it give to me many powerful energies and revitalize my soul.

GrillinFool

Reaction score
I feel sorry for you, man. No taste and a huge persecution complex.

Yet here you are taking a shot. Hypocrisy or irony, can't tell which...

Da Luis Vuitton Don

Reaction score
****. Sfield was right. I cooked one tonight for the first time in a decade, and it is a lot tastier than I remember. I don't know that it is my favorite cut, but damn, when the quality is good, it is really nice. Now I have to rethink the rest of my life.
ffffuuuu.gif

fail, a womens spot is in teh kitchen.....
implied-facepalm.jpg

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Da Luis Vuitton Don
fail, a womens spot is in teh kitchen.....
You don't know some of the women I've known. I recall the mother of one friend coming into the kitchen ... where my friend and I were working on some summer project ... at the kitchen table. The mother asked, "George, when did we get this new oven?" George responded, "Mother, that's a dishwasher ... we got it about five years ago."

Da Luis Vuitton Don

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
You don't know some of the women I known. I recall the mother of one friend coming into the kitchen ... where my friend and I were working on some summer project ... at the kitchen table. The mother asked, "George, when did we get this new oven." George responded, "Mother, that's a dishwasher ... we got it about five years ago."

My Grandma had to teach my wife how to cook so i steer clear of the kitchen...unless im in the dog house, then i have to go to the kitchen to get the menus ;D

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of filets, sushi, and sauce...

one of my favorite ways to eat beef is with a little bit of soy sauce and fresh wasabi. Try raw wagyu (cut it a bit thinner than fish sashimi pieces), put a little bit of fresh grated wasabi, then lightly dip in soy sauce. Sometimes I do this for cooked steaks as well, but wonder if I can make a warm version (something similar to a wine sauce with horseradish or something).

For sushi, when the sushi is already served with a brush of soy sauce (or something else like ponzu), you should not re-dip the sushi in soy sauce. When it is not served with sauce, you should only dip soy sauce. You should not mix wasabi in your soy sauce. When you eat sashimi, you should put a small portion of wasabi on the piece of sashimi you are going to eat, then dip in soy sauce. This is just a general guideline/manners, that even Japanese people don't follow.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203

I never said that's a problem... I just don't why people will absolutely douse perfectly good fish with enough wasabi and liquified salt to mummify an elephant.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads