• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Filet mignon

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
A pad usually refers to a tablespoon or so.
I always thought it was a "pat"
confused.gif

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I am not going to state my steak heirarchy, but you all should rest assured that it is definitively the most correct heirarchy, and the rest of you are idiots and philistines, and should probably stick to Texas Roadhouse.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ribeyes rule.

The only steak you can burn without throwing in the trash.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
I always thought it was a "pat"
confused.gif

I suppose its not something I usually type and they both sort of pronounce the same

GrillinFool

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LanceW
Truth for a true steak lover.

Amen brother. And I'm not a Filet hater by any means. I love Filet. I just don't eat it all that often. 1) I prefer other cuts more and 2) those other cuts are usually much cheaper.

GrillinFool

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Skirt is my second favorite cut for steak. NY strip is honestly so boring that I could cry. Ditto for ribeye... there are far superior ***** cuts of meat.

You realize that you can get ribeye's from high on the cut that don't have that blob of fat in the middle, right?

GrillinFool

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Why in God's name would you want to marinate a filet?

Simple, there's not a ton of flavor in it. It's funny how there are anti Filet people out there that seem snobby to me. And now there are people that are praising it like it's the single greatest cut of meat on the planet as if it were manna from Heaven. Implying that my taste buds aren't refined enough to appreciate a good Filet.

I love Filet. Truly do. But the fact of the matter is, fat tastes good, and Filet has very little fat. The day fat doesn't taste good is the day they stop breeding cows in Kobe. A well marbled steak is delicious. If fat didn't taste good, we wouldn't have an obesity problem in this country.

One of the beautiful things about a Filet is that it marries to other flavors well which is why a marinade does wonders with a Filet. A little red wine, fresh rosemary, garlic and black pepper is incredible. Or a nice compound butter over the top at the end. Or just some Worcestershire and garlic for a couple of hours before throwing on the grill.

I guess I should duck and cover for the fat snobs who are going to come rip me now...

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GrillinFool
You realize that you can get ribeye's from high on the cut that don't have that blob of fat in the middle, right?

Yes I do know that, but I'm talking about marbled beef in general. It isn't as appealing to me as some others.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like that blob of fat in the middle.

And as far as Kyle's comment on poached filets, I really like that as well and haven't done that technique in years.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GrillinFool
Simple, there's not a ton of flavor in it. It's funny how there are anti Filet people out there that seem snobby to me. And now there are people that are praising it like it's the single greatest cut of meat on the planet as if it were manna from Heaven. Implying that my taste buds aren't refined enough to appreciate a good Filet.

I love Filet. Truly do. But the fact of the matter is, fat tastes good, and Filet has very little fat. The day fat doesn't taste good is the day they stop breeding cows in Kobe. A well marbled steak is delicious. If fat didn't taste good, we wouldn't have an obesity problem in this country.

One of the beautiful things about a Filet is that it marries to other flavors well which is why a marinade does wonders with a Filet. A little red wine, fresh rosemary, garlic and black pepper is incredible. Or a nice compound butter over the top at the end. Or just some Worcestershire and garlic for a couple of hours before throwing on the grill.

I guess I should duck and cover for the fat snobs who are going to come rip me now...

I feel sorry for you, man. No taste and a huge persecution complex.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel sorry for you, man. No taste and a huge persecution complex.

Yeah, he always feels like he's being lynched.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why in God's name would you want to marinate a filet?

+1.

And no sauces on my filet, please. Maybe a peppercorn sauce from time to time. If the meat is of a good enough quality, putting a sauce on it can be a crime, IMO. I bought some wonderful prime filets recently and one of the folks I was cooking for made me soak theirs in Worchestershire sauce. A little piece of my heart died.

Prime fillet, some grilled veggies and an aged bordeaux or cali cab and you will make me a happy boy.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahmedk47