• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Filet mignon

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Huh. Never knew that. Whenever I see filet's they're rather thick but when I see whole tenderloin's they're rather thin. I suppose that's the leftover after cutting all the filet's.

Steakhouses often serve filets cut from the center portion, which is the biggest piece. It gets narrower toward either end.

I've trimmed a whole tenderloin a few times, for a 2" thick steak, you can only get 2-3 cuts from the Chateaubriand part of a whole tenderloin.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When I see tenderloins in the store they're usually about the width of a beer bottle. When I see filets they're the width of a wine bottle. Just larger circumference.

You sure you aren't thinking of pork tenderloin? They are far more common and are exactly the size you are describing.

I rarely see beef tenderloins sitting out at the store. Pretty much only at costco (or cut into filets)...otherwise you have to ask at the counter.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
You sure you aren't thinking of pork tenderloin? They are far more common and are exactly the size you are describing. I rarely see beef tenderloins sitting out at the store. Pretty much only at costco (or cut into filets)...otherwise you have to ask at the counter.
Yeah, I see them at Costco all the time. That's where I got the visual impressions. The ones at my Costco look very similar to pork tenderloins only slightly more round. Still about the beer bottle shape. Maybe they're just selling off runty cows.
confused.gif

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
so since the spammer brought this back..........

I have about a 6 pound tenderloin, my butcher wraps a layer of fat around the whole thing and wraps it up. I was thinking of grilling it quickly to get some marks on it, and then tossing it in the oven. Butcher seasoned it with salt/pepper/rosemary/garlic. I am sure that it does not have enough salt, so I will be adding more. What should I do in terms of cooking/seasoning?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Butter. Baste it with melted butter for a couple of minutes.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel

I have about a 6 pound tenderloin, my butcher wraps a layer of fat around the whole thing and wraps it up. I was thinking of grilling it quickly to get some marks on it, and then tossing it in the oven. Butcher seasoned it with salt/pepper/rosemary/garlic. I am sure that it does not have enough salt, so I will be adding more. What should I do in terms of cooking/seasoning?

Sounds like you have the seasoning done.

I would not bother to grill it. Brown it in a pan then roast it. Use the fond in the pan to make a pan sauce.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Butter. Baste it with melted butter for a couple of minutes.

Originally Posted by Manton
Sounds like you have the seasoning done.

I would not bother to grill it. Brown it in a pan then roast it. Use the fond in the pan to make a pan sauce.

sounds good, I browned a smaller piece in a pan with butter and it came out good. Should it be just butter or maybe a butter/bacon fat combo?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
If you use butter, add a little oil, will keep the butter from burning. Bacot fat is good.

LatinStyleLover

Reaction score
I got a hold of a very difficult to find recipe from Guy Fieri for his "Steak Diane" that is spectacular. I made it two weeks ago and it turned out beautifully. I know Filet Mignon is incredible just lightly seasoned and cooked however you like, but I had wanted this receipe for some time and it did not disappoint. If anyone is interested I would be happy to post the recipe?

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LatinStyleLover
I got a hold of a very difficult to find receipe from Guy Fieri for his "Steak Diane" that is spectacular. I made it two weeks ago and it turned out beautifully. I know Filet Mignon is incredible just lightly seasoned and cooked however you like, but I had wanted this receipe for some time and it did not disappoint. If anyone is interested I would be happy to post the recipe?

lurker[1].gif

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isn't a 6lb tenderloin a bit big to brown in a frying pan?

I assume he was going to cut it in filets ?

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel

Just my opinion, so take it as that: I wouldn't use butter, but instead olive oil to cover the meat and then sear it all over. If it has a layer of fat around it, and I assume it's been tied up, then you do not need much oil or butter at all except for that initial contact with the pan. I personally think that there would be enough flavor with what's with the roast. Are you cooking it whole, or slicing it up prior to cooking?

With plain ol' filet mignon steaks, I sometimes use butter, but if you already have an adjunct of fat, then those seasonings on top of that, I wouldn't use it myself if I was cooking it.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member