• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Essential items for the twenty something year old

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
a bed
a car
a phone
a fridge
a microwave
an address
a camera
a shelf
books
an ipod/mp3 player
a phonograph or non mp3 player for when girls are over
an iron

a suit
a good pair of jeans
black wingtips
black/white sneakers
3 dress shirts
5 ties
socks
underwears

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A man should have a precision screwdriver kit.

A man should have working knowledge of when to shut his mouth in the presence of an angry woman.

A man should have a bottle opener to use for the rest of his life.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a small point and shoot camera with full manual control capability:

lumix lx3/canon g11/canon s90/ ect...

its not as pretentious as walking around with a dslr (and not really knowing how to use it). its small... discrete and can actually teach you about basic photography (when you actually learn to use the manual controls).

don't be the poseur with a huge dslr/expensive leica/hasselbad... just be a young twenty something whom has a small simple camera and actually understands how to use it.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD
a small point and shoot camera with full manual control capability:

lumix lx3/canon g11/canon s90/ ect...

its not as pretentious as walking around with a dslr (and not really knowing how to use it). its small... discrete and can actually teach you about basic photography (when you actually learn to use the manual controls).

don't be the poseur with a huge dslr/expensive leica/hasselbad... just be a young twenty something whom has a small simple camera and actually understands how to use it.

20 somethings cant possibly know how to work an expensive camera? I dont understand why something is pretentious if its something that average party goer wouldnt bring with them.

House party pics use your cell phone, but if you enjoy photography I see nothing wrong with a DSLR.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
20 somethings cant possibly know how to work an expensive camera? I dont understand why something is pretentious if its something that average party goer wouldnt bring with them.

House party pics use your cell phone, but if you enjoy photography I see nothing wrong with a DSLR.

i never said that a 20 something can't operate a camera.

i was operating under the assumption that as a young 20 something you want to have something thats affordable and you'll get a ton of usage out of it, and can produce really nice results.

but most importantly you can bring with you where ever, throw into your bag/pocket, and head out and just have fun. (its a total drag sometimes to be the guy with the huge SLR when out with friends).

well its just fun to bring around a small non obtrusive camera that can actually take nice pics, especially in a party setting. the dslr actually can be a detriment because flashing the large slr and bringing the camera up to your eye makes people camera shy. but the small semi pro cameras can just take pics.

dslr will always be a the photographers' weapon. but a young 20 something.... on vacation/at the beach/road tripping/partying/ can use a semi pro compact, actually learn about photography in the process, and just have fun shooting without the huge slr.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone that brought an SLR to a club would be deemed a tool in my book. Frankly, I don't know why anyone would want to take pics at clubs or when out at night anyway, but I guess it's so they can look like fun exciting guys on facebook... That said, SLRs are the ****. If you can afford a dSLR with all the lenses and flash etc, you can probably afford a $200 p&s for clubs if you really want to be a douchebag and have pictures to prove it.
laugh.gif
Like I said, it would be dumb to bring one to a club or a bar, but I don't see how it's otherwise pretentious.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Like I said, it would be dumb to bring one to a club or a bar, but I don't see how it's otherwise pretentious.

in the context i mentioned i think its pretentious for some guy who breaks out the slr when he doesn't even know how to really use it. its like having an slr is projecting that you know photography because you have the slr (and do the necessary photographers poses).

if he's making an effort to actually learn how to use it then great its not pretentious and more power, but we all know the guy who has the slr and breaks it out and well doesn't know what aperture or shutter speed is (which result in a lot of wasted effort and crappy photos).

but you can actually buy a small affordable compact digital camera that has fully manual capabilities now (this was hard to find before). it will take fully automatic shots, and you can learn the basic mechanics of photography in the process.

so i suggest a small compact camera that has fully manual capabilities as an essential item for a 20 year old.

its a great way to record the epic **** that 20 somethings are opt to see and experience.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Let's get back on track......
A 20yr old should own a "few good dvd's" so when he is entertaining the opposite sex, there is a nice selection available. This will lead to cuddling!!

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ter1413
Let's get back on track......
A 20yr old should own a "few good dvd's" so when he is entertaining the opposite sex, there is a nice selection available. This will lead to cuddling!!

Agreed.

A good plan to have alcohol that women like to drink, some captain, some mikes, chardonnay ect.

Mblova

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
Agreed.

A good plan to have alcohol that women like to drink, some captain, some mikes, chardonnay ect.

Agreed. Women really do love mixed drinks and some wine.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Some bawls
Some cawk

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Why, thank you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads