• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Essential items for the twenty something year old

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well this was more my list of things I want and I'm twenty. I guess I can live and learn. Concerning the 'internet cool' comment, sure those items are spoke of highly on SF, but they're also items that have a strong possibility of lasting a long time. As for the razor, I just always thought it would be cool to learn how to do, as I know nobody within 5 years of me who can do it. What's wrong with that? and furthermore, if one wants an honest opinion of the 'essential' items for a 20 something year old....it's pretty much nothing. Well, guys in their lower 20's anyways. At my age, you can wear gym shorts everyday, but if you look good and have swagger, you're going to pull girls. Which is the main objective of most guys in school. I don't feel there's any real 'essential' things to get, it's all personal preference.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheD0n

One thing I could not live without is a valet to keep things organized. It's something that I use everyday when I get home and empty my pockets into. The valet pictured is much nicer than the one I have.

My fiance just bought me a valet recently and it changed my life. It's a great investment.

Originally Posted by ter1413
A library card?? In 2010?? Joking right???

Why not? I use mine all the time. The local library has most books I could want to read, a huge movie section, and plenty of periodicals I don't have to buy. Why waste money on something I'm only going to read once.

Originally Posted by dmash1080
I work a lot and like to spend my money on nice things...... I said over the next 4-5 years, I didn't feel it was THAT extravagant? My only expenses I have to pay for are rent, cell phone, food, clothes, gas and any leisure activites. I don't have a car payment and I lucked out as my parents pay for my insurance, but that's all.

Dude... You're asking for a 5,000 dollar watch. For graduating undergrad... Wait until you accomplish something worth while. You don't want to be the kid running around with some crappy Fossil, but you also don't want to be the douche with an uber-expensive watch.

Originally Posted by dmash1080
and furthermore, if one wants an honest opinion of the 'essential' items for a 20 something year old....it's pretty much nothing. Well, guys in their lower 20's anyways. At my age, you can wear gym shorts everyday, but if you look good and have swagger, you're going to pull girls. Which is the main objective of most guys in school. I don't feel there's any real 'essential' things to get, it's all personal preference.

You're assuming all guys want to do is "pull girls."

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's pretty important to have some kind of athletic hobby and therefore good equipment for it. Biking (bike), baseball/softball (gloves and bat), tennis (racquet), golf (set of clubs) etc.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No one expects anything of 20 something year olds so there really aren't many "essentials".

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love this thread.

What about more "jobs 20-somethings should have?"

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
BS! 20 somethings need quite a bit, especially as you exit the college years. Essential to me isnt what i would scrape by one, but what I feel is necessary to handle the majority of situations you run into with style and class. Enough that people respect you as a person.

My optimum essentials if i had to start over:

If nothing else I think I need:

-Black label suit for night clubs and formal gatherings, optimally navy.
-Charcoal 2.5 button suit, pleated pants, something formal for job interviews.
-Short rotation of white spread collar french cuffed shirts
-Darlton Tassel loafers
-Black interview shoes
-1 tie, something like a navy or burgundy repp.
-One set of MOP cufflinks
-Casual look - RRL jeans, polo shirt and Chelsea boots would work.

-Apartment or Condo, even something small but well kept.

- Rolex air king or a dark brown croc strap

- Enough cooking equipment and dishware to host a guest at your condo and look put together

-Crystal tumblers

-One set of red wine glasses (crystal)

-Good shaving equipment (chose your weapon).

Usul

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
BS! 20 somethings need quite a bit, especially as you exit the college years. Essential to me isnt what i would scrape by one, but what I feel is necessary to handle the majority of situations you run into with style and class. Enough that people respect you as a person.

My optimum essentials if i had to start over:

If nothing else I think I need:

-Black label suit for night clubs and formal gatherings, optimally navy.
-Charcoal 2.5 button suit, pleated pants, something formal for job interviews.
-Short rotation of white spread collar french cuffed shirts
-Darlton Tassel loafers
-Black interview shoes
-1 tie, something like a navy or burgundy repp.
-One set of MOP cufflinks
-Casual look - RRL jeans, polo shirt and Chelsea boots would work.

-Apartment or Condo, even something small but well kept.

- Rolex air king or a dark brown croc strap

- Enough cooking equipment and dishware to host a guest at your condo and look put together

-Crystal tumblers

-One set of red wine glasses (crystal)

-Good shaving equipment (chose your weapon).

I have dificulty understanding the need for such an watch, but I am trying.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Usul
I have dificulty understanding the need for such an watch, but I am trying.

Small, fits under most cuffs easier then a datejust.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
Small, fits under most cuffs easier then a datejust.

The point is that it's laughable to consider a rolex an "essential" for anyone at any age. Anyone who respects you more because you have a rolex probably isn't someone whose respect is worth gaining.

coopster

Reaction score
What about a George Forman Grill? It's compact and you can cook nearly any dead animal to walk, swim or fly the earth in it.

Mblova

Reaction score
Essential items include, but are not limited to:
2-3 pairs of jeans-light, indigo, dark
a few good pots/pans-KNOW how to cook
middle level alcohol-KNOW how to make decent and interesting cocktails
Grill-grill meat/fish
1-2 well fitting suits
running shoes-go workout and be fit
1 good quality watch
sound system-people love music
clean sheets
decent couch

Superfluous Man

Reaction score
I do think some sort of wet shaving kit is essential. Not only will you get a closer, better shave but that extra 10-20 minutes of solitude will become a favorite ritual when life starts to get hectic.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads