• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

El QUaG

Reaction score
I pulled the trigger on size Medium. Better loose than too tight I figure. Will report back once received and in hand...

Knight

Reaction score
This is talked about almost regularly but i thought this was worth sharing. This time Monitaly and Engineered Garments have used an identical fabric type. Quite a lovely piece too.

Shingles

Reaction score
^ I noticed that too. How does it work? It means that they don't design their own patterns, and buys their already printed fabrics from the same manufacturer?

Fycus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hardly any companies design their own fabrics. Some can buy exclusivity rights over fabrics for a certain period of time, but generally speaking they will not be made in house unless its a large label. They probably deal with the same manufacturers and select the fabrics independently of what is going on at other small labels.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Schneider / Leder (and SEH Kelly if you want to include really small scale) are probably the only ones I can think of that design their own. There was some shirting fabric that EG, Epaulet and WvG all used in one season.

Last edited:

planetarium

Reaction score
Generally the above is true, though some of the Japanese workwear brands pride themselves on producing all of their own textiles.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't think Schneider costs much more (if at all) than EG the way things are going. Neither does Leder.

astris

Reaction score

I think its because they got rid of the cinch which I don't get. I liked how you could use them to adjust between sizes.

Also here's more sizing for you: http://www.oipolloi.com/engineered-garments-fatigue-short-navy-lightweight-flat-twill

Fatigue shorts are my favorite of all time. I have 4 pair and have probably done about 1,000 miles cycling in my SS11 ripstop. I was planning on picking up another, but I've always worn them with tabs undone. No tabs will be a deal breaker since I'd have to size up and then they'd be way too baggy/long.

El QUaG

Reaction score
^ I have similar concerns, but hoping the waist cord will be enough to keep the shorts working for me. If all else fails, I'm going to rock a belt.

I am a huge fan of the zip up side stash pocket added last season. The side pockets on the Fatigue Shorts/Trousers tends to allow coins to drop out a bit too easily I feel.

Shingles

Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation. Anyone have any idea of who those manufacturers are, that Gitman, EG, etc. buys from?
Might it be so that exclusivity rights were bought for for example the Salmon Prints as they were that seasons more exclusive and also most expensive fabrics?

------

Also, can anyone comment on the sizing on this years Ghurka shorts? Last summers Ghurka and Cambridge shorts were both a bit downsized, I could hardly button the 30's, so had to size up to 32's. While FW13 waist 30 pants fit me perfectly.

Thanks

Shingles

Reaction score
Btw Workers did this for their FW13 collection

And here's EG SS14

HelloFello

Reaction score
Shingles, can't comment on the previous seasons ghurka, but I have a size 32 in khaki, the entire short just feels a bit slim compared to other EG stuff that I've owned or tried on. Think they're going for a slimmer cut all together. All the mediums that I have tried on from ss14, Lafayette shirts, ghurka shorts, work shirts, baker and Andover jackets, are all really fitted for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads