• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

pwhinson

Reaction score
The cordovan on the Carmina bal boots is very stiff by its very nature as others have suggested. On my EG Galways the vamp is the most supple sublime soft but substantial calf I have never seen but that's my first pair of EGs. I don't think the stiffness of the cordovan in the Carmina boot is in any way unexpected or faulty. To me both are simply beautiful boots. Of course the Carmina boot, has a tremendous price advantage going for it. The value/quality equation in Carmina is extraordinary in my opinion. I sometimes think we have a propensity to name one item superior over another when its somewhat beside the point. Both shoes should provide great durability and wear and are excellent boots.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have numerous EG and own a couple of Carmina. The calf of EG is far and above better than Carmina (which can explaint he premium in price), at least the qualities that I like in calf (e.g., thickness and flexibility, less creasing, ability to hold polish). The soles of my EG last much longer than Carmina too. Last is subjective and Carmina wins with order flexibility (only Vass I think can challenge this when price is also factored in). EG will always win with burnishing.

Both are great choices for 2 different price points. Since EG lasts work better than Carmina, the choices have not been difficult.

No cordovan from EG yet though...I have a huge stable of Alden for that. :D

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Lots of people don't see the point in EG cordovan, but to me the finishing on EG Crup is the best in the business. Well worth the upcharge.

yeee

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yeah the cognac is immaculate. EG shell finishing is top notch, JB. a great thing even greater

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I agree that EG crup is the bomb...My Arlington came out particularly well, methinks!

pwhinson

Reaction score
I'm looking for a double monk in brown. I have a middle-low instep and have had a little bit of a problem with balmoral shoes (the sides often touch but its not a serious problem). Would the Edward Green double monk fit properly i.e. tight enough over the instep? (I know it's likely to be on the last "hole" which is fine of course). Someone else on the forum suggested a particular C&J monk strap for a middle/low instep but I have to say I love my pair of Galways. Unfortunately in this metropolis of 6 million people (Atlanta) the only vendor of Edward Green intown (Sid Mashburn) doesn't stock the double monk so I'll have to order.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm looking for a double monk in brown. I have a middle-low instep and have had a little bit of a problem with balmoral shoes (the sides often touch but its not a serious problem). Would the Edward Green double monk fit properly i.e. tight enough over the instep? (I know it's likely to be on the last "hole" which is fine of course). Someone else on the forum suggested a particular C&J monk strap for a middle/low instep but I have to say I love my pair of Galways. Unfortunately in this metropolis of 6 million people (Atlanta) the only vendor of Edward Green intown (Sid Mashburn) doesn't stock the double monk so I'll have to order.

My Westminsters fit well and I have a low instep. Be aware the straps for the buckle is leather and not elastic so margin for error is pretty low.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads