1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Harrydog, Mar 11, 2012.

1. laufer

laufer Well-Known Member

Your instincts are right. For $1500 you can get a full bespoke Maftei shoes.

I like EG but 82 and 888 lasts do not fit me and EG is very restrictive as far as MTO goes so that leaves me with very few models to choose even if I decide to go for MTO.

1 person likes this.
  2. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Well-Known Member

I often wonder how beneficial bespoke is in terms of shoes for people with average feet? EG raised prices? My dovers were around $1200 with trees.

3. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Well-Known Member

There are various places to get EG's for substantially less than $1,500.

Ex. Skoak has its whole EG fleet between 879 - 986USD , plus shipping.

2 people like this.
  4. Leaves

Leaves Well-Known Member

Correct, these are our ex VAT prices (for clients outside the EU) for our EG collection. Please note though that any local customs or taxes are the buyers responsibility. I believe the US customs on shoes are 8.5%, but even then it would still be less than 1K USD. And we (or rather our clients) have had very few issues with customs to the US to be honest.

5. jhcam8

jhcam8 Well-Known Member

A small step at a time, Frank.

6. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

I wonder if they would let Styleforummarket get an account... It's a registered business precisely for stuff like this.

Would you guys be interested? Might be cool. I've always wanted a pair of Galways, and have never gotten them. We have done a lot of makeups with Viberg (a Canadian rugged boot maker), but I've been thinking of branching out into some CM brands. Just haven't had the right motivation until now.

Cheers,

Fok.

7. gsugsu

gsugsu Well-Known Member

Try it to appreciate the difference. Any shoe made on a last that is specific to your feet will still fit better even if you have average feet. Of course the fit still has to be tweaked over time. Even an existing last that is modified to your measurements is going to be better than RTW.

8. laufer

laufer Well-Known Member

Yes I would be interested, let's keep things simple. Galway in dark oak + walnut country calf on 82 last.

9. Nikola

Nikola Well-Known Member

I'm in for Galways in DO as long as they are on 64 or 202 last. But I think EG will cool us down once again.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  10. LA Guy

Well, I'll give them a ring, and see if they won't give this place an account. Makers are usually really wary of individuals, but we are a registerd business with a good history, and have done this type of thing before, as well as work with regular stock, so we might be okay. We'll see.
    Cheers,

Fok.

1 person likes this.
  11. laufer

laufer Well-Known Member

Galway is only made on 64 or 82 last nowadays.

12. Nikola

Nikola Well-Known Member

Thanks laufer, I was carried away googling them, saw a couple of Galways on 202 last .. I am a rounded toe type of guy, so the more rounded the better in my case.

82 is too pointy for me, but in case I can help you make a larger group I would be in with my 64 last order in Dark Oak.

13. rydenfan

rydenfan Well-Known Member

Yes, Fok! I am 100% in for an SF Galway

14. rydenfan

rydenfan Well-Known Member

Laufer, that is a stock model you can get anytime. If Fok is going to go through the trouble I say we go for something more unique

15. wklq76a

wklq76a Well-Known Member

I couldn't find any mention of this - are we looking at a potential discount for such a group order?

Edit: Never mind. I assumed we were going for a sizable order of a stock model. If it's a unique makeup I wouldn't expect one.

16. laufer

laufer Well-Known Member

Nice to know that. Thanks

17. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Well-Known Member

18. LA Guy

If we were going to just give a big discount, they'd never give us an account. A lot of Edward Green retailers are on, and/or read, this forum, and I think that some Edward Green people do as well. They would not be happy with us undercutting their other retailers. We could probably do something like pricematching with a retailer, but no vendor is the world is going to let their business be compromised that way.

But it would be sans MTO price, since it would be a size run made for a registered business that is actually a business.

If you are starting out as a retailer, the first, and hardest thing, is to find vendors who will work with you. It's even harder for a pureplay, which is one of the reasons I've been so impressed with @gdl203 . One thing that you'd find is really important is to stay on good terms with vendors, unless you like late or non-deliveries, no-one responding to emails or picking up the phone, etc...

1 person likes this.
  19. wklq76a

wklq76a Well-Known Member

^Makes sense. Thanks for the explanation!

20. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Well-Known Member

As long as wide sizes are available on these proposed model runs, I'm in. I'll take a MTO size at RTW prices any day. No boots for me at the moment though...