• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a double monk in brown. I have a middle-low instep and have had a little bit of a problem with balmoral shoes (the sides often touch but its not a serious problem). Would the Edward Green double monk fit properly i.e. tight enough over the instep? (I know it's likely to be on the last "hole" which is fine of course). Someone else on the forum suggested a particular C&J monk strap for a middle/low instep but I have to say I love my pair of Galways. Unfortunately in this metropolis of 6 million people (Atlanta) the only vendor of Edward Green intown (Sid Mashburn) doesn't stock the double monk so I'll have to order.

My Westminsters fit well and I have a low instep. Be aware the straps for the buckle is leather and not elastic so margin for error is pretty low.

I too have a lower instep. My Westminsters fit me well. They are a D width (slightly narrow), which helps.

REguy

Reaction score
aportnoy, any shots of the arlingtons after some wear?

Crat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I agree which is why I find this ad to be very strange:
Sorry for the derailment - now back to your usual programming.
In my experience crup, once broken in, becomes quite soft even though it is thicker and heavier than calf.

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I came across these EG Weymouths via the Leffot blog the other day and apparently they were an EG MTO through Leffot back in 2010. Did one of you guys get these particular shoes MTO? All I can say is, wow. These just blew me away. How much does a MTO go for these days through a vendor?

I've been drooling over those shoes for a couple years!!

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I came across these EG Weymouths via the Leffot blog the other day and apparently they were an EG MTO through Leffot back in 2010. Did one of you guys get these particular shoes MTO? All I can say is, wow. These just blew me away. How much does a MTO go for these days through a vendor?

I've been drooling over those shoes for a couple years!!

These are not mine. For MTO's, Skoaktiebolaget has the best prices from what I can tell.

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been watching this thread from afar and drooling at the beautiful selections and have decided to take the plunge and have a couple questions:

Living in the DC metro area, my B&M buying choices are Sky Valet and Brooks Brothers, even though my BB does not carry them in stock, they are willing to have several shipped to the store for me to try on. This is great but it seems to me that their prices are a couple hundred dollars more than some of the online retailers, is this because they include the shoe trees? Also, the corporate discount is a nice perk.

My first choice would be the Galway but with winter coming to an end, it seems more practical for me to order something that I can wear all year and buy those next fall. Does EG retailers carry the Galway all year?

I'm looking at the following at Brook Brothers:

EG Leather Medallion Cap Toes in Grey

EG Wingtip Bals in Burgundy Antique

Anyone know what last these are on and have a pic of them in the wild?

Thoughts appreciated!

Last edited:

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been watching this thread from afar and drooling at the beautiful selections and have decided to take the plunge and have a couple questions:

Living in the DC metro area, my B&M buying choices are Sky Valet and Brooks Brothers, even though my BB does not carry them in stock, they are willing to have several shipped to the store for me to try on. This is great but it seems to me that their prices are a couple hundred dollars more than some of the online retailers, is this because they include the shoe trees? Also, the corporate discount is a nice perk.

My first choice would be the Galway but with winter coming to an end, it seems more practical for me to order something that I can wear all year and buy those next fall. Does EG retailers carry the Galway all year?

Thoughts appreciated!

First, I think you made an outstanding decision. You've chosen to get a shoe from Edward Green. Now you have a number of great vendors you can purchase your shoes from. I have purchased mine from a couple of different places and I have always received the best customer service regardless of where I chose to purchase them from. If you have established your shoe size already in any number of the other decent brands you should be able to get sizing recommendations here from forum members or even from the vendor you decide to purchase your shoes from. At times having the ability to return an item for cash or in store credit might not be a bad thing especially when buying a specific Last for the first time. This method has worked for a good majority of the people who frequent this board. We all had to start somewhere and it's not always possible to try them on before making a purchase. Brooks Brothers however is great if you need that secure feeling of trying it on prior to purchase. Keep in mind however that their selection is limited and you might be able to find a better deal if you are willing to order from the internet. I would highly recommend Skoaktiebolaget and I think you should at least take a look at what they have and their prices before making a decision.

Good Luck!!!!

Last edited:

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thoughts appreciated!

Are you going to wait for the corporate sale? It'll be 30% off!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads