• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Cuttingboard - I've seen that grey captoe at my local BB and it is stunning. The model i saw was on the 888 last. I have been sorely tempted, but put off by the non-competitive price (not to mention the occasional surly, condescending attitude of some SAs).

I do think the burgundy would prove themore versatile choice, however, if you presently have nothing similar to either model shoe in your rotation.

As dddrees mentioned, if you get your sizing sorted out, you will have a much broader range of purchase options beyond BB. I have had several smooth deals with Skoaktiebolaget, and their pricing is also very attractive.

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many thanks for the replies!

@ othertravel - Yes, I would really like to take advantage of the 30% corporate sale in March at BB if they discount EG. I would buy both if they did so!

@ RogerP - I do love the Burgundy because of its versatility with browns, grey, charcoal, blue and navy. I would have no idea what to wear with the grey.

I've been on Skoaktiebolaget's website many times looking at their Carmina shoes but have never bought from them. I hear rave reviews regarding their customer service and their prices are extremely competitive. I have several pairs of Carmina shoes but would like to step up to the a much nicer leather.

I wear an 8UK in Carmina's Uetam loafer last and 8.5UK in the Rain last but they seem to be a .5 size too big since I do not have wide feet.

Last edited:

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Been watching this thread from afar and drooling at the beautiful selections and have decided to take the plunge and have a couple questions:

Living in the DC metro area, my B&M buying choices are Sky Valet and Brooks Brothers, even though my BB does not carry them in stock, they are willing to have several shipped to the store for me to try on. This is great but it seems to me that their prices are a couple hundred dollars more than some of the online retailers, is this because they include the shoe trees? Also, the corporate discount is a nice perk.

My first choice would be the Galway but with winter coming to an end, it seems more practical for me to order something that I can wear all year and buy those next fall. Does EG retailers carry the Galway all year?

I'm looking at the following at Brook Brothers:

EG Leather Medallion Cap Toes in Grey

EG Wingtip Bals in Burgundy Antique

Anyone know what last these are on and have a pic of them in the wild?

Thoughts appreciated!

If you want the Galway get the Galway (82 last). Of the two shoes, my choice is easily the burgundy antique Inverness. Both models are on the 888 last.

BB pricing after the regular corporate discount of 15% is right in line with other retailers (and cheaper than some).

Inverness at BB: 1315 x 85% = $1,117.75 (with trees). Without trees they are under 1,000.

My understanding is that EGs will be included in the corporate sale; however, your size might not be available. :D

CHRK33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fellow EG enthusiasts, I just wanted to give a heads up because I can't make the 888 last work for me, so I am parting with a new pair of Mocha Suede Westminsters in UK10E that Farhad graciously picked up for me during a recent EG sale. I am just looking to recoup what I paid and pass on the kind deal Farhad extended - 495GBP, so about $830 shipped in the US. I thought because Farhad did me a solid, I would raise it in our mutual appreciation society first. If you are interested, PM me.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Inverness in the 888 is pretty much a stock model too so many should carry it.

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm curious how many of you wear your EGs on the subway while commuting to work? Just curious because I constantly have people stepping on or rolling computer bags over my toes.

BaldwinP

Reaction score
I'm curious how many of you wear your EGs on the subway while commuting to work? Just curious because I constantly have people stepping on or rolling computer bags over my toes.

I admit that I treat my single pair of EGs with kid gloves and wear them only in ideal conditions. Everything else I figure they're shoes, made and bought to be worn and the only concession I make is that I try hard not to wear leather-soled shoes when there's a real possibility that it will rain or I'll have to walk on wet streets.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PM me if interested in a Galway, UK9D, on the 64 last. Walnut country calf upper and mink suede on the shaft, shearling lining on the shaft, ridgeway sole. The one that Leffot sold. They are now sold out at Leffot. Have a good evening.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wore my EGs, JL, G&G regularly in the subway/bus/etc. when I lived in NYC. Personally I've never had anyone step on them in the 9 years I lived in the city.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ lucky. i still have nightmares from when my classmates would clumsily step on my jordans in high school :fu:

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads