• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • The Uniform/LA Lennon Loose Fit jeans drop is now live! Check out both the light Palms and dark Lithium Both are made from premium Japanese right hand 3x1 denim in the USA,. Uniform/LA is know for premium materials and meticulous pattern making. Support a small business built on quality and integrity.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chinese Watches

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I hope some of the WISes on here can help me out. I've seen a few posts referring to the Chinese watch brand Seagull. In Hong Kong magazines, I've also seen reference to another brand called Shanghai. I also passed a few shops with a Russian-sounding brand name (that is escaping me at the moment) but seemed to proudly proclaim it's made in China as well.

I'm on my way to Shanghai in a few days, and I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the quality, pricing, or distribution of these watches. I'd be willing to spend a few hundred bucks for a decent quality mechanical watch that might not yet have the brand cachet but might represent value for the money. Is it possible to find good Chinese-made, proudly Chinese-branded watches in Shanghai for a reasonable amount of dough?

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I don't think so. If you're in the market for lower-priced but good mechanical watches, you could just play safe and buy a Seiko or a German brand.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm itching for a Chinese Tourbillon.

p0006303g.jpg

But until it goes under $300, I'm not wasting my money.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread reminds me that I have always wanted a Seagull 1963 Chinese Air Force reissue, handwound ST19 column wheel chronograph movement.
1732689580_6f4cd147c1_b.jpg

drool.gif

There's a fellow on PMWF (MarkB, I think) who sells Seagull watches on PMWF. His price is $200, give or take a few; not sure how it compares to Chinese domestic watches pricing.

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a very nice design.

Originally Posted by whacked
This thread reminds me that I have always wanted a Seagull 1963 Chinese Air Force reissue, handwound ST19 column wheel chronograph movement.

drool.gif

There's a fellow on PMWF (MarkB, I think) who sells Seagull watches on PMWF. His price is $200, give or take a few; not sure how it compares to Chinese domestic watches pricing.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread reminds me that I have always wanted a Seagull 1963 Chinese Air Force reissue, handwound ST19 column wheel chronograph movement. http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2015/...4cd147c1_b.jpg
drool.gif

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
I contacted cnmark on WUS (I think it is the same chap), asked him to put me on the list for one of these when he gets them in next. I already have the "dress" version of the 1963. Great watch. Edit. cnmark is MarkB. Nice
smile.gif

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
I could be wrong, but I don't think so. If you're in the market for lower-priced but good mechanical watches, you could just play safe and buy a Seiko or a German brand.

Thanks, acidicboy. I should have been clearer... I do already have a very small collection of reasonably-priced mechanical watches, including two 1950s-1960s Omegas, a WWI-era Omega Patria, a 1940's Hamilton, and a new Seiko 5 military. I am interested in the Chinese watches partly because they might represent decent value, but primarily because I think a Chinese-manufactured mechanical watch would be an interesting addition to my collection.

Thanks for all the help, guys. After reading some of the posts here and some of the posts on the referenced fora, it sounds like it's a much better idea to buy a Seagull outside of China. I may just buy one of those 1963 re-issues. At $200, it's a handsome watch at a steal.

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

drool.gif

That is a great watch ... it's just so communist! Does anyone have MarkB's e-mail address? If he's selling, I'll get in line.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
[email protected]

Again, I have neither affiliation nor experience doing business with this seller (the latter will likely change though).

Featured Sponsor

"Movie Stills" Challenge: VOTE

• PSB

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Clouseau

Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Kaplan

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Calypso

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Lupin 3

Votes: 6 18.8%