• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • The Uniform/LA Lennon Loose Fit jeans drop is now live! Check out both the light Palms and dark Lithium Both are made from premium Japanese right hand 3x1 denim in the USA,. Uniform/LA is know for premium materials and meticulous pattern making. Support a small business built on quality and integrity.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of the first presents I had from my wife was a Geordie dictionary (which had a few bits of neighbouring dialects too). She had a summer job at the Beamish Museum and I think it was from there that she got 'Divvent flick ye *** ash on wor clippy mat**' which tends to get rolled out for any time I drop something around the house.
The LP I mentioned had the phrase "Divvent drop yer dottle on the proggy mat!"

A "proggy mat" is known elsewhere as a "proddy mat" (THAT will probably get Bowdlerised too, as "pr0ddy" is also a slur for "Protestant" - let's see). So called because you prod bits of rag through an oblong of hessian and knot them on the underside.

Swampster

Reaction score
The LP I mentioned had the phrase "Divvent drop yer dottle on the proggy mat!"

A "proggy mat" is known elsewhere as a "proddy mat" (THAT will probably get Bowdlerised too, as "pr0ddy" is also a slur for "Protestant" - let's see). So called because you prod bits of rag through an oblong of hessian and knot them on the underside.
I think in the Black Country they were podged rugs - similar etymology - though I only heard it for the first time on a trip to the museum. My grandparents were from the very edge of the Black Country but I don't remember them using the term.
A website about rag rugs says they were quite a feature of mining areas for some reason.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A website about rag rugs says they were quite a feature of mining areas for some reason.
Maybe due to the high turnover of work clothes and the availability of sacking?

I'm now reminded of a guy who used to be on this thread who proudly sported an NCB donkey jacket.

Ancillotti

Reaction score
Maybe due to the high turnover of work clothes and the availability of sacking?

I'm now reminded of a guy who used to be on this thread who proudly sported an NCB donkey jacket.
Aye Paul, it was very popular skinhead wear round these parts. Especially if you worked there!

First time I've looked here for about 4/5 years, I stopped looking when the crack moved away from skinhead.

Vengeance

Reaction score
Hi, im looking for other brands who make short sleeve button downs similar to Jaytex, Brooks Brothers, Brutus ,Jon Wood, Gant... Vintage or anyone who does repros the right way. Preferably with the "V" cut sleeve (I prefer this look) - Do these "V" cuts have a specific name? Im finding it harder and harder as the years go by to find them. Thanks, if anyone has any smalls for sale id be happy to look.

Reggae Mike

Reaction score
Hi, im looking for other brands who make short sleeve button downs similar to Jaytex, Brooks Brothers, Brutus ,Jon Wood, Gant... Vintage or anyone who does repros the right way. Preferably with the "V" cut sleeve (I prefer this look) - Do these "V" cuts have a specific name? Im finding it harder and harder as the years go by to find them. Thanks, if anyone has any smalls for sale id be happy to look.
Sero, Arrow, andTowncraft are period brands, but no sleeve V's. Britac, Corte Skinhead are modern options with nice patterns and V's, I think.

Last edited:

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I plan to do a blog post about these in the coming weeks but I got mine from Relco. They’re a skin / Mod clothier that do a lot of sorta identikit gear but even those sites will often still have a few noteworthy items. Pretty sure Jump The Gun does them too but probably a bit more pricey.

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love my new navy/ice blue untipped Fred Perry (my first since whenever, see other thread) but they don't do a red untipped M3 so I found this instead, new with tags, red/navy untipped, just like the last one I ever had as a skinhead. Now on its way from Italy.

Screenshot_20240804-204134.png

Featured Sponsor

Do you coordinate your watch strap with your shoes or belt?

• Always

• Sometimes

• Never

• I don't pay attention

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zenjy