• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • The Uniform/LA Lennon Loose Fit jeans drop is now live! Check out both the light Palms and dark Lithium Both are made from premium Japanese right hand 3x1 denim in the USA,. Uniform/LA is know for premium materials and meticulous pattern making. Support a small business built on quality and integrity.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

Edmund Dorf

Reaction score
Hi all,

I’d like to get your take on something…

A while back I posted a jacket I had made. There was an error / issue with the shoulder.

I took it in, the tailor blamed the “bump” you see below on anatomy.

Since, I’ve confirmed it’s not anatomy — and as you can see the bump is also there when someone else (my fiancé) wears it — all be it to a lesser extent. You can see the difference on here left to right below.

Just after I last saw this tailor, they told me there’s nothing else they can do.

But I still emailed them recently to ask them if they could help… because they’ve been paid, and I have a jacket with a defect. To my email I got no response.

I plan to recoup my funds out of principle, but before I go about what I have planned, I’m curious to know what you would do in my situation?

— Ollie
Looks like a warp from the coat hanger
I have many such myself

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1725677404185.jpeg

SB suit from the same tailor as the DB. (The sleeves on this shirt are too long, to be clear.)

smit388

Reaction score
Hi all,

Looking for any feedback on rhe below jacket which was a MTM commission from the Armoury and any things I could change for next one.

It looks like the front panels are slightly scissoring as left side doesn’t sweep away the same as the right. I think back looks ok - maybe a little too drapey.

Attachments

• IMG_2543.jpeg
    IMG_2543.jpeg
    163.5 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_2541.jpeg
    IMG_2541.jpeg
    155.1 KB · Views: 85

tiltgunnar

Reaction score
Hi all,

Looking for any feedback on rhe below jacket which was a MTM commission from the Armoury and any things I could change for next one.

It looks like the front panels are slightly scissoring as left side doesn’t sweep away the same as the right. I think back looks ok - maybe a little too drapey.
Is this the Model 15? Fit looks good to me. For next I would lower the buttoning point by some 2-3 cm but that's mainly taste I guess.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I share your impressions: the back looks good, but the front panels look somewhat asymmetrical. I would also lower the buttoning point.

Theyerdal

Reaction score
Hello! I recently bought a linen jacket from Berg and Berg on sale. Sleeves were a bit long so I took it to a local tailor for alterations. The tailor took the sleeves up from to shoulder without me knowing. After that I noticed that there is some ripples/dimples/excess fabric on the upper sleeve, most notably on that left side. I do not know if this was caused by the alteration or if it was there before, and I do not know if it is because the shoulders are a bit wide and that the upper sleevehead therefor collapses in on my shoulder.

My question is: is this something that can be and/or ought to be altered, and could it have been caused by the tailor taking the sleeves up from the shoulder.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_0678.jpeg
    IMG_0678.jpeg
    143.5 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0672.jpeg
    IMG_0672.jpeg
    66.4 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0632.jpeg
    IMG_0632.jpeg
    232.8 KB · Views: 80

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello! I recently bought a linen jacket from Berg and Berg on sale. Sleeves were a bit long so I took it to a local tailor for alterations. The tailor took the sleeves up from to shoulder without me knowing. After that I noticed that there is some ripples/dimples/excess fabric on the upper sleeve, most notably on that left side. I do not know if this was caused by the alteration or if it was there before, and I do not know if it is because the shoulders are a bit wide and that the upper sleevehead therefor collapses in on my shoulder.

My question is: is this something that can be and/or ought to be altered, and could it have been caused by the tailor taking the sleeves up from the shoulder.

Thanks in advance for your help.

The jacket still looks good in my eyes, despite the dimples. Don't know if the tailor could flatten the sleeves.

Theyerdal

Reaction score
The jacket still looks good in my eyes, despite the dimples. Don't know if the tailor could flatten the sleeves.
Ok thanks for the input. What is meant by flattening the sleeves? Do you mean pressing?

I think it is more visible in this picture:

Attachments

• IMG_0689.jpeg
    IMG_0689.jpeg
    90.3 KB · Views: 69

Featured Sponsor

Do you coordinate your watch strap with your shoes or belt?

• Always

• Sometimes

• Never

• I don't pay attention

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zenjy