• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

rbhan12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well dose that mean one should go lower in size all my shoes I can close the laces fully specially on G&G & EG.
When I met Hiro Yanagimachi at Leffot for his trunk show, he said the correct amont of V spacing is 2-3mm at the top.

rbhan12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First one is always for free.
wink.gif
Do let me know when I can cash in on that offer :)

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well dose that mean one should go lower in size all my shoes I can close the laces fully specially on G&G & EG.

Not if the shoe fits you well. If its snug on the instep when fully laced, and everywhere else feels right. Its right.

People like their shoes to fit differently. If they feel "solid" with enough comfort, and no "slop" than you got it right.

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No, its more important that the shoe fit well in terms of length and width. The ability for the quarters to be closer or further allows for flexibility in terms of people with higher/lower insteps. People with low insteps will have a more narrow V, people with higher insteps will have a wider V. Your V width will vary depending on the last and how pronounced the instep is. I suppose if you got bespoke shoes, you could have the width of your V exactly how you want it on every pair.

Not if the shoe fits you well. If its snug on the instep when fully laced, and everywhere else feels right. Its right.

People like their shoes to fit differently. If they feel "solid" with enough comfort, and no "slop" than you got it right.
Yes

TtownMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

When I met Hiro Yanagimachi at Leffot for his trunk show, he said the correct amont of V spacing is 2-3mm at the top. 

Thank you for the info.
Not if the shoe fits you well.  If its snug on the instep when fully laced, and everywhere else feels right.  Its right. 

People like their shoes to fit differently.  If they feel "solid" with enough comfort, and no "slop"  than you got it right. 

Ok got yea & make sense kind of scared me at first lol
No, its more important that the shoe fit well in terms of length and width.  The ability for the quarters to be closer or further allows for flexibility in terms of people with higher/lower insteps.  People with low insteps will have a more narrow V, people with higher insteps will have a wider V.  Your V width will vary depending on the last and how pronounced the instep is.  I suppose if you got bespoke shoes, you could have the width of your V exactly how you want it on every pair.

Yes

Thank you for your input & info it's all ways appreciated & make sense :D

bigsink

Reaction score
I have a pair of Carmina Double Monk in Brown (Inca) size 8.5 (i'm a 9.5-10D), where the instep is a bit tight. We've added a hole to the strap to make it looser, but would rather sell them and buy a size 9. Did anyone have a similar experience with a high instep? Ifanyone interested in buying them for 430 let me know. I paid $544 days ago.

Last edited:

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score

Hi,

I totally agree with you! I own a pair of FAM Santoni and the amount of spacing is not even so, if existing. At the same time, I recently tried on some CARMINAs and even at a bigger size (longer) than mine, the V spacing was there! I consider it a design error because the quarters and the whole construction is the company's call. We have to face the truth gentlemen!

Cheers,

Dimitris

sdfzs

Reaction score

Hi,

I totally agree with you! I own a pair of FAM Santoni and the amount of spacing is not even so, if existing. At the same time, I recently tried on some CARMINAs and even at a bigger size (longer) than mine, the V spacing was there! I consider it a design error because the quarters and the whole construction is the company's call. We have to face the truth gentlemen!

Cheers,

Dimitris

Would not can it a design error but rather it's the feature of the last. When having a higher instep then what the last accommodates the V might reduce a bit by going up in size but that carries a lot of other aspects to consider. Some element of the V is naturally esthetics but if this is important you need to be very picky on the last you pick.

vmss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Would not can it a design error but rather it's the feature of the last. When having a higher instep then what the last accommodates the V might reduce a bit by going up in size but that carries a lot of other aspects to consider. Some element of the V is naturally esthetics but if this is important you need to be very picky on the last you pick.

You are right because the v closes full on my rain last (higher instep) compared to
My Oscar that has a lower instep ( wider v gap). To say that it's a design error is totally wrong.

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score
Dear @sdfzs and @vmss Hi,

Perhaps I was kind of exaggerating, but you had to see my expression! To offer some information in this discussion, my feet are really narrow with low instep and speaking of last I am referring to Simpson. I had no problems whatsoever fitting in the Simpson-lasted shoes, but the V-shape was there, believe me that was a first for me!

My point, therefore, without wanting to be judgmental is basically to create a discussion; my belief is that perhaps the quarter is not designed as it should be. So it's not aesthetics here, but architecture of the shoe. If we do not want to call it error, we may call it something else, the point however remains.

Best

Dimitris

ptr1988

Reaction score
Does anyone know how much would it cost to ship back Carmina's belt for an exchange? I don't know if it would be worth it due to shipping/ custom duties costs. The belt is $93.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads