• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, youโ€™ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ptr1988

Reaction score
Carmina's belts are 2" shorter then AE so the normal waist + 2" in AE will in Carmina will be waist + 4". Unclear of feature or fault but as earlier said they are easy to shorten so the second hand market given this should be pretty good
I don't need to shorten it, I need to lengthen it.

sdfzs

Reaction score

I don't need to shorten it, I need to lengthen it.

Got that. Was more making a point of the larger group that might be interested in the belt given that it easily can be shortened compared to other brands. Returns are unfortunately a hassle to Carmina across the pond from a cost point of view

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We need to change the title of this thready to the Carmina Shoes Official Complaints and Grievances Thread.

That is indeed messed up, though.

If it is because of currency fluctuation, then they really need to get this whole currency thing sorted out. They seem to be struggling with it, and it appears to be agitating a lot of their customers.

Also, if they are in fact listening as is often said, they need to clamp down on their quality control. They are developing a reputation for shipping sub-standard product.

Might make sense to hire a dedicated customer service person to answer emails in a more timely fashion, too.

I get that they are a growing business and growing pains are to be expected.

cypi2

Reaction score
Probably due to currency fluctuations and the amount Carmina paid to convert back to dollars.
Yes, I think so too. But, why should I pay for that when they did not even send the boots?! I am not talking about a return here, but, rather about an order that Carmina said it could not deliver after it had accepted my order online and it had charged my card. I don't think I should be bearing that cost in such a case.

cypi2

Reaction score
Carmina web store does business in euros. They refunded you in the same amount of euros you paid. I personally wouldn't hold them responsible for the 2$ you lost due to forex changes.

Maybe you could ask for a $2 credit towards a future order.
True: Carmina does business in Euro. But, it offers a choice to pay in Euro or in U.S. dollars on its U.S. website. And, it (or its bank) charges a surcharge for converting from one currency to the other. i am fine with that and made the choice of paying in dollars knowing about that surcharge. No problem the website is explicit about it.

I completely understand that this difference may be due to forex fluctuations. However, I will also argue that in the case in which Carmina lets a customer place an order, charges that customer's card and later lets that customer know that it cannot deliver the order, that customer should not have to bear the forex risk no matter the amount of that risk. I would think differently if this were a return...

Last edited:

dalevy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that Carmina should bear the risk in both this case and in the case of returns. They set a minimum price in dollars for U.S. customers (or at least that was what we were told/I understand). They are having trouble sticking to that it seems because the price has been fluctuating recently, as discussed ad nauseam a while back. This instance seems to be another manifestation that issue.

It would be a bit of a different story if they were not supposedly setting a fixed price for U.S. customers.

ecwy

Reaction score
If the currency fluctuation went in your favour, are you going to return the $2? I'm sure your hourly wage is worth more than the time you spent writing that long paragraph. It's part and parcel of online shopping to deal with fx.

cypi2

Reaction score
Poor form on Carmina's part, but if $2.63 is enough to make you swear off their product, you probably didn't like them all that much in the first place.

It is not so much a question of amount but of principle:

I do like Carmina's shoes.

But, I do not agree with the principle of a company letting its customer bear the forex risk when the company could not deliver an order for which it had already charged that customer. I also do not like the fact that i got back to Carmina about this and that they did not do anything about it despite the fact that its Director of Exports said they would.

There are many other shoemakers that I like, and, I'd rather support those than Carmina's after this incident.

cypi2

Reaction score
If the currency fluctuation went in your favour, are you going to return the $2? I'm sure your hourly wage is worth more than the time you spent writing that long paragraph. It's part and parcel of online shopping to deal with fx.
Sorry but I have to disagree. I do not think that this is part and parcel of online shopping: I have received quite a few refunds from Herring Shoes for example for transactions that also involved forex and I always received back the exact amount they had originally charged me. For me, it is more a question of how you wish to run your a business and to treat customers...

cypi2

Reaction score
Jeebus, all this weeping over 2 bucks.
It is not so much a question of amount but of principle. Multiply that by many customers and that 2 bucks can grow pretty quickly... And anyway, why i should I even pay a cent for company's inability to deliver?

Last edited:

ecwy

Reaction score

Sorry but I have to disagree. ย I do not think that this is part and parcel of online shopping: ย I have received quite a few refunds from Herring Shoes for example for transactions that also involved forex and I always received back the exact amount they had originally charged me. ย For me, it is more a question of how you wish to run your a business and to treat customers...

It's fine if you want to think that way but let me point out two things:
- you cannot refund more than you charge
- you cannot refund (even partially ) more than once

Do you really think they are trying to short change you?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads