• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is what I would consider a perfectly fair airing of issues. No attack or lambasting of Carmina, just asking for the general opinion of others with experiences of the brand...well handled thus far, at least in my estimation
cheers.gif

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know I keep posting these, but they're getting their maiden voyage today. Really enjoying that sunny feeling you get whilst wearing a long-pursued Grail for the first time. :)

Last edited:

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Defeats on pants peppercorn78 love the color.

Gustin Camel twill chinos! They are darker than this pic. More of a burnt caramel.

Last edited:

justonemore

Reaction score
I know I keep posting these, but they're getting their maiden voyage today. Really enjoying that sunny feeling you get whilst wearing a long-pursued Grail for the first time.
smile.gif

They look almost purple in the last 2 photos...do they present that way to the naked eye under certain light/angles as well?

Last edited:

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They look almost purple in the last 2 photos...do they present that way to the naked eye under certain light/angles as well?

Nah, that's just the wonky fluorescent lighting in my office. They're definitely blue at all times, except at night under dim lighting, when they look almost black.

CaptainTohm

Reaction score

You must just have a ridiculous instep.  If they fit well in all other aspects, I would stick with them.

I have a weird foot. Super high instep, but my arches collapse as I walk, making my foot increase from a D US width to an E US width as I put my full body weight down. Plus my foot is short for my body size.

Bespoke/MTM isn't an option since my shoe collection is so small currently. I'll just have to make due I suppose.

I believe I'll stick with the larger size, since it's changed the lacing from a steep, aggressive V shape, into a more gentle one.

Last edited:

wigglr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since it's suede it may give a little and the V may close a little more. Also as the footbed breaks in, the V may lessen.

dalevy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hope so. In general, I realllllllly want to make Carmina work for me, but I'm a bit skeptical now. Hopefully these will work well and I can try more models moving forward.

That V looks the same to me? If you're satisfied with it and it feels comfortable then by all means carry on. If the last doesn't work for you, then I would just not get it, it wasn't meant to be and that is why there are different lasts. Why don't you try Rain last a half size up from the size that you had in the burgundy shoe? So many retailers carry Rain last that you are sure to find something you like if you want to stick to Carmina. And I don't really understand wanting to make Carmina work for you if you are skeptical. It'll save you a lot of $$$ and anxiety and time selling your shoes if you find something that works now rather than trying to make something work when it does not. There are many many people that have gone down that path and ended up with a lot of pairs on B&S (me included).

Edit: Also what does your heel look like out of curiosity? You're describing your foot as being very wide, but I've heard Inca last has a skinny heel. When you put your weight down, does that create bowing?

Last edited:

rbhan12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I hope so. In general, I realllllllly want to make Carmina work for me, but I'm a bit skeptical now. Hopefully these will work well and I can try more models moving forward.

Maybe try rain in a half size up as well? I guess your instep is indeed legendary.

Should finances not be a concern, Bonafe could work very well for you. Their lasts reportedly have a high instep.

CaptainTohm

Reaction score
I have what I would describe as a thin heel compared to the rest of my foot. The Rain a half size down was very large around my heel. Perhaps if the rest of the shoe was sized properly that wouldn't be a problem, but it definitely felt like a lot of extra space even when the rest of the shoe was tight.

The main reason for trying Carmina was the Inca and Rain lasts being described as sleek looking, but accommodating to a wider foot. I'm still debating about keeping the Inca because the rest of it feels pretty good, some heel sleep when I exaggerate the force I press down through the front of my foot with, but I'm assuming that will go away once the shoe breaks in, and I stop trying to see if I can force my way out of the shoe while looking for fit problems.

If anyone has suggestions for non-chunky and not round-toed shoes (I'm looking for proper dress shoes, not ****-kickers) that would work for a US E (UK F, I suppose?) please PM me. Even if I'm not talked out of these Carminas, I'd like to explore some brands with more width options.

All that said, these shoes are absolutely beautiful and the finishing is top notch. If I wasn't such a frustrating fit, I'd be in love.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads