• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buday Shoes - Hungarian Shoemaker

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could you give a basic rundown? From looking at the site's pics, they appear to be on the sleeker end of Buday's offerings?

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well just as a general rule, if you are looking for Vass U or K last type shoes, Buday does not really have anything like that***

In terms of the lasts you mention, the Zala is one that I would never order for anyone. Proportions are not what anyone here would like. The Pilis works on certain boots but I don't like it on shoes. The Mako is for wider feet, doesn't wor for everyone nor for every shoe type. I push everyone towards the Frakno last when they aren't looking for a Budapester. They made a slight modification to it for me and I think its the most flattering last.

**** we developed a last together, its sleek and correctly proportioned, I think. Probably closest to the U last. I am having boots made up in it.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well just as a general rule, if you are looking for Vass U or K last type shoes, Buday does not really have anything like that***

In terms of the lasts you mention, the Zala is one that I would never order for anyone. Proportions are not what anyone here would like. The Pilis works on certain boots but I don't like it on shoes. The Mako is for wider feet, doesn't wor for everyone nor for every shoe type. I push everyone towards the Frakno last when they aren't looking for a Budapester. They made a slight modification to it for me and I think its the most flattering last.

**** we developed a last together, its sleek and correctly proportioned, I think. Probably closest to the U last. I am having boots made up in it.

How does the Tisza last fit? I like the TS-07 boots.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd be curious to know what it is about the Zala that is unsuitable in your estimation.

Note: not questioning your assessment, just curious to know your thought process.

Jazzmenco

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe they were trying them out!
lol8[1].gif

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
pics or they weren't released

OzzyJones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They weren't! :(

Date and Time 7/3/2016 at 12:59
Location National Hub
Tracking event Sorted
Date and Time 7/3/2016 at 5:23
Location International Hub
Tracking event Revised Customs charges raised
Date and Time 7/3/2016 at 5:12
Location International Hub
Tracking event Released from customs

OzzyJones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ouch :eek:  Is this normal for the UK?

No such thing as normal unfortunately!

This is pretty rare tho. Now I have to pay the bill before they'll deliver so I'll be lucky to have them this week!

Not bad when they were shipped on 18/02!

Let's see how bad customs **** me now :(

Hotjock

Reaction score
Just read through the thread. I have in Budapest for the last year and ashamed to say not been inside the Buday shop. Like many others I seem to bypass the shop and go into Vass, where I have developed a nice collection of F & U lasts.

Not really a fan of the Budapester style, but determined to visit the shop this week to see what they have in terms of more contemporary styles.

Walking down Harris Koz at the weekend the shop window of Rozsnyai looked excellent with a very contemporary line up. Not what I was expecting. Both stores are on my hit list for this weekend.

Any views on how both of these brands compare in terms of quality and style.

OzzyJones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just read through the thread. I have in Budapest for the last year and ashamed to say not been inside the Buday shop. Like many others I seem to bypass the shop and go into Vass, where I have developed a nice collection of F & U lasts.

Not really a fan of the Budapester style, but determined to visit the shop this week to see what they have in terms of more contemporary styles.

Walking down Harris Koz at the weekend the shop window of Rozsnyai looked excellent with a very contemporary line up. Not what I was expecting. Both stores are on my hit list for this weekend.

Any views on how both of these brands compare in terms of quality and style.

Style is subjective; I love Budapesters!
Quality, IMO of Buday is at least on par with Vass. Certainly in terms of construction. Their Shell shoes are outstanding

VRaivio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hotjock, I believe all artisanal makers in Budapest use the same oak-bark stuff from Rendebach as well as Italian calfskins, prices are also similar. It mostly boils down to who has the best-looking or -fitting lasts for your eyes and feet. I wager Vass is the most popular one because they have those nice lasts designed by Ugolini.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads