• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buday Shoes - Hungarian Shoemaker

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cross posted from massdrop.

What's the equivalent size to Vass 43.5 F last?

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was annoyed at first when I saw the Massdrop offer, less than 24 hours after paying Ed "full price" for my Budapesters.

Then I did the sums. $450 for the Massrop shoes is for calf. Add $300 for cordovan, and $30 for shipment to Australia, and it's only slightly less expensive than the Budapesters. And I already have a pair of quarter-brogues in shell (from Camina), and these Budapesters are Goyser welted, and are just so ****-off awesomeballs.

So - no regrets.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I was annoyed at first when I saw the Massdrop offer, less than 24 hours after paying Ed "full price" for my Budapesters.

Then I did the sums. $450 for the Massrop shoes is for calf. Add $300 for cordovan, and $30 for shipment to Australia, and it's only slightly less expensive than the Budapesters. And I already have a pair of quarter-brogues in shell (from Camina), and these Budapesters are Goyser welted, and are just so ****-off awesomeballs.

So - no regrets.

Right. No worries. You got the specific shoe you wanted. Which is the great thing about Buday MTO. For me this mass drop shoe is nice, and the price is very good, but I don't need that shoe, So I'll wait to order one that I do.

And if 6 pairs gets preferred pricing for a given makeup and there's a choice of leather, what about an SF Buday Appreciation Thread GMTO.

Of course, I'm sure there's something about Mass Drop that makes the pricing there logical while it wouldn't be here. For instance seems like Ed's getting a lot of built in marketing out of the deal, which must be great. Selling to the choir here may not create the same incentive for a discount. ;)

Last edited:

OzzyJones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Right. No worries. You got the specific shoe you wanted. Which is the great thing about Buday MTO. For me this mass drop shoe is nice, and the price is very good, but I don't need that shoe, So I'll wait to order one that I do.

And if 6 pairs gets preferred pricing for a given makeup and there's a choice of leather, what about an SF Buday Appreciation Thread GMTO.

Of course, maybe there's something about Mass Drop that makes the pricing there logical while it wouldn't be here. For instance seems like Ed's getting a lot of built in marketing out of the deal, which must be great. Selling to the choir here may not create the same incentive for a discount. ;)

I like how you think, Mr C!

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I like how you think, Mr C!

Well, it is a nice idea, but I am thinking more and more that the Mass Drop thing is a special circumstance. The point with something like that is clearly to get your product out there. Ed's put together a really nice basic shoe for it, and that combine with the marketing aspects of the platform are certainly driving the price.

Besides, can you imagine getting everyone to agree on the basic details of a makeup? Ha ha. Cue the gif of swarming cats.

I'm going to be a broken record here and repeat that the standard direct-from-Panata pricing for shoes at the quality of Buday, made exactly to the buyers spec, with taps and shoes trees and free domestic shipping remains one of the great deals in shoes.

And we get the satisfaction of a chuckle every time the words "shell shortage" are are plaintively wailed over in the Alden thread. Sorry Alden thread guys... :)

Last edited:

OzzyJones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I suppose it would be similar to the shitstorm of trying to get a Vass Gmto off the ground. Too many options, with everyone wanting something different.
I'd agree, for US buyers Ed's tough to beat at regular pricing and on sale he pretty much can't be beat at all

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Yeah, I suppose it would be similar to the shitstorm of trying to get a Vass Gmto off the ground. Too many options, with everyone wanting something different.
I'd agree, for US buyers Ed's tough to beat at regular pricing and on sale he pretty much can't be beat at all

And really, it's one of those moments when we start to obsess over the price, and I know we all like to get a deal, but really these are nice shoes that are worth a good price, and we all probably have way more pairs than we need (ahem, speaking for myself at a least), so saving a few bucks ought never to be the reason to pick up a pair. It's because well, I NEED THOSE SHOES!

Speaking of, I'm thinking over the idea of a plain black derby, probably shell. Sort of Japanese streatwearish, like a really really nice pair of Docs maybe. If I think the Frakno would be a little formal for it. Would try the Tokay I think, which seems similar to Vass New Peter. Or this might be the time to get a Tisza last pair.

The desired look on these is ultimately beat up and worn in, so I'm not sure how Buday would work for that.

I'm thinking out loud here, because it is the spot where I could get custom shell shoes that I know would fit.

I'll have to email Ed and see that he thinks.

Last edited:

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any pros and cons when compared to Vass? Or is it apples to oranges?

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Any pros and cons when compared to Vass? Or is it apples to oranges?

I'm sure folks have opinions about this, but I think the main thing is whether you want one of those Vass Italian lasts. They kind of have a life of their own in terms of style and bragging rights. Otherwise, my humble opinion is that we are comparing apples to apples, and that you can get a really nice shoe from Buday and from Vass.

Jazzmenco

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More photos and less talk
biggrin.gif
please

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need to be able to get suede. Put suede on the GMTO option list and I'm in. I love me some Buday suede.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads