• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buday Shoes - Hungarian Shoemaker

Reaction score
Hi

Whilst I can find the odd reference to Buday shoes on here and one other forum site, other than their website it seems very difficult to find out much about this brand.

Does anyone have any direct experience of buying from them or their product?

I came across some of their shoes recently - they appear wonderfully made but I wonder what the story is behind them and where I might find their shoes in a shop somewhere (other than Budapest - though I am not ruling out visiting the city!)

SHS

Reaction score
I would also like to know more about this maker.

http://www.budayshoes.com/

They seem to only have shops in Budapest, apparently also one next to Vass:

By the way, did you check out the shoe store "Buday" right next to Vass?

The video shows that they use a sewing machine for the uppers, but sew the welt by hand:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Their slightly different styles might be an alternative to Vass, if the price is similar?

Last edited:

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would also like to know more about this maker.

http://www.budayshoes.com/

They seem to only have shops in Budapest, apparently also one next to Vass:
The video shows that they use a sewing machine for the uppers, but sew the welt by hand:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Their slightly different styles might be an alternative to Vass, if the price is similar?

I actually wrote a bit about Buday Shoes on my blog just the other day. It's in Swedish but you can use the translation tool found on the upper right of the web version of the page to make it understandable: http://shoegazingpunktse.blogspot.se/2013/03/kopguide-tre-outsiders-nr-3.html
I have no experience with them myself, but a shoe retailer in Gothenburg where I live is thinking about starting to sell them, he had seen the shoes at a fair somewhere and was quite lyrical about them.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks guys, that blog post is particularly interesting. I was wondering, given the quality of their shoes, why they were not known about more widely or featuring within retailers ranges. Perhaps this is because they are still a 'small family business'.

That video is just a pleasure to watch. I think I will watch it again. And again.

SHS

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply and the link j ingevaldsson. That's a great blog you've got. Luckily I understand swedish reasonably well as a dane. :) It sounds very exiting that Buday might be carried in a swedish store. Also interesting that they are at the same price point as Vass, and with a similar construction. I think that some of their loafers are interesting compared to Vass'. They also have some serious winter boots.

Last edited:

SHS

Reaction score
More info on Buday, quoted from the Vass thread:

These guys opened up about 2 years in Budapest - literally 2 doors down from Vass old shop, and now sits strategically in between Vass old & new shop.
Don't think Mr Vass was impressed with the timing....

If you do get a chance to try on and feel the shoes first hand - you'll be disappointed to know the finishing and quality just isn't on par with Vass (yet).
Although their retail prices is about 10-15% lower, than Vass I still couldn't justify parting with my money given the leather grade and quality.
They have large contracts with a couple of German retailers and produce on a bigger RTW scale than Vass - guess the success in Germany allowed
them to open their own shop and promote their own brand name....

Their high end models did have potential to compete with Vass, but you can tell by the finishing it's more geared towards their high earning RTW operation....
Still lots of potential for this firm....but still I put them in Barker high end target market for comparison.
Feel free to challenge my opinion if you have owned a pair of Budag...

There another shoe maker next door to Vass called K Roznei (spelling needs correction) - some of their model are also flamboyant and geared towards the German market, but finishing is "nearly" on par to Vass - so I pulled the trigger and parted €400 for my boots.

Pictures to come..

Last edited:

sabstage

Reaction score
Thank you for the interesting posts. I had read about Vass Shoes before heading to Budapest and was excited to visit the store. I have to report I was sadly disappointed. The two young workers in this very small store were not very friendly (they most likely thought I wasn't really going to buy anything <wrong>). I then ventured two doors down to Buday Shoes. What a difference two door made. The ladies at Buday Shoes were very friendly and extremely helpful. They helped by explaining the difference between handmade shoes and regular shoes, and with the fitting. They were eager to please and allowed me all the time I needed to choose the right pair. I found a great pair of casual shoes. The price tag is not cheap ($500+ USD) but well worth it. If you are looking to splurge on a unique treat for yourself, this is the place.

BTW - the video of how they make the shoes was very interesting.

Also, don't forget to visit the glove store to the left of Vass Shoes. Great handmade gloves!!

Bootcan

Reaction score

I have no direct experience with Buday, but I sure would like to.

These are amazing shoes..i emailed Buday and it's a no go shipping to Canada,i just now emailed Panta Clothing and i'll see if they will place an order in their next order with Buday,i can see
a collection of these in my shoe closet.:nodding:

Last edited:

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

These are amazing shoes..i emailed Buday and it's a no go shipping to Canada,i just now emailed Panta Clothing and i'll see if they will place an order in their next order with Buday,i can see
a collection of these in my shoe closet.:nodding:

I just got your email, I'll reply later today (long story but I can't reply to that email from where I am), But the short answer is yes and the next order is coming in 4-5 weeks so we can put yours in now.

Bootcan

Reaction score
Well i had to pass on the Buday shoes,seems they would have to strangle 2 horseees azzes to get me into a pair,i ain't worthy,i like horseees too much.
Mr Ed was a pleasure to deal with and everyone without freakish sized feet should order a pair ,or some ties,pants from his great establishment.:)

Last edited:

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, I did not have to pass on a fine pair of Buday from Ed at Panta.

Quick post now and some more thoughts later:

@edmorel was absolutely stellar to work with. He took special care to get me in the right size and to make sure that I received shoes to my specs.

Extremely pleased with these right out of the box.

Last edited:

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've handled the boots. They are just as good as they look. I have to post photos of some of the details on the pair I just got before I wear them and obscure some of the beauty.
1f604.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads