• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best way to remove ear wax?

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use Q-tips not because they work, but because the feeling i get is the highlight of my day.

Mr. White

Reaction score
OK here's your answer.

I live in Southern California where it's so dry that Caucasian ear wax cements badly and makes you deaf when you have a cold. I used to have to get my ear drums scraped every couple of years -- until I learned how to do prevent waxy build-up altogether.

1. Buy a bottle of rubbing alcohol and a box of 1000 real Q-Tips with paper stems.

2. Wait for Sunday.

3. Remove about 50-90% of the cotton from both ends of one Q-Tip swab. If you mess up, start over with another swab. The remaining cotton should be about half as wide as your ear canal.

4. Dip one end in rubbing alcohol.

5. While rotating the swab slowly but continuously in the same direction, drill the wet, alcohol-dipped end very gently into one ear.

6. Stop as soon as you can feel it doing anything. As in Quake 2, "pull it out," "make it stop," "kill me now."

7. Dip in alcohol the other, clean end of the Q-Tip swab, and repeat with the other ear.

8. Wait for the next Sunday, goto line 3.

If your ear is badly impacted, it may take a couple of months to notice any improvement. However, you'll avoid the burning and inflammation of other methods.

slickmick

Reaction score
do not use q-tips, they only push earwax deeper into your ear and impair your hearing even more (i know this from experience)

use debox or baby oil in your ear to loosen the wax up

then take a syringe full of water, lean with ur clogged ear facing down towards a sink, and syringe ur ear. for me, it got everything out. its pretty disgusting seeing all your earwax wash down the drain

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use q-tips all the time to clean my ears, and at one point I was bold and put the F***ers in pretty ******* deep into my ear canal (
facepalm.gif
I know). I ended up literally pushing a whole wad of wax against my tympanic membrane, to the point where I couldn't hear out of the ear some times (like when I got out of bed). My doctor made me drop some COLD oil into my ear every day for a week to break the wax up a bit, and then he used a syringe and sprayed my canals to get the wax out. It worked... and I have been much more cautious with my ear health since.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used Hydrogen Peroxide on my ears on Sunday and my ears felt like one of those science project volcanoes with all that bubbly **** coming out of it. It actually helped.

superbuddy

Reaction score
To remove ear wax safely, i suggest using olive oil to soften the ear wax, oil should be placed carefully in the ear canal as you lies on your side. The oil should be allowed to remain in the ear canal for a few seconds to literally melt the ear wax. To remove ear wax after the oil has been applied, you should lean your head to one side and allow the oil to flow out naturally into a clean cloth. A supply of clean water can then be squirted into the ear to remove ear wax deposits that may remain.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bobmcbob
My right ear fills up with wax until I can't hear. It occurs every few years. It's caused by the shape of my ear canal.

Don't use q-tips - at least not deep. The only people who can use q-tips and not make things worse are people who don't have a problem with ear wax.

I use ear wax drops for several days followed by an ear "syringe". It's an all-rubber bulb that you use to shoot water into your ear. The drops loosen up the wax, and the syringe flushes it out.

Or, you can go to your doc and they will stick a real syringe in your ear (not all the way) and squirt water into it to clear it out. And, they can look inside and know they got everything.

I used this kit:
http://www.drugstore.com/qxp12439_33...val_system.htm

I get really bad ear wax problems and have tried this solution. Every time I use the wax drops that come with the kit, the fluid gets stuck in my ear. It's the same feeling you get when you have water in your ears, but it generally does not want to come out easily. Drives me nuts.

I do use the rubber bulbs and find they help. Best are the ones the ENT's use on you. Really hits the spot and gets it all out.

Be CAREFUL with Q-Tips. You can make it worse and or damage your hearing.

Alex Mclean

Reaction score
Heck no don't go deep I did awhile ago and got one stuck now I have to go to a doctors office to get it removed and I possibly have to get my ears flushed anyways, maybe surgery if my case is really really bad. Don't do it

DMartins

Reaction score
My doctor refused to flush my ears because he says it's not that bad but the idea of ear wax is very distasteful. I don't want to damage my ear canal so I don't put anything inside my ear but I do clean the outsides of my ears with Q-tips. It's pretty effective.

maze

Reaction score
I always use q-tips after get out of the shower, when the wax is soft. I try not to go too deep. this has become such a habit that my ears feel annoyingly wet after a shower if I don't clean them.

Loucks

Reaction score

A few drops of this in your ears every couple of days will keep them clear. Maybe stick them under the shower for a flush now and then. Trust me.

konoyaro

Reaction score
I have no pain so I suspect it's not an infection. My hearing has been getting worse in my left ear the past week gradually. Do they have these any types of drops for these at Shoppers Drug mart? I googled home remedies and most of them said to use hydrogen peroxide but I'm reluctant to put that ***** in my ear.

Seriously I feel like I am going deaf in my left ear.
Once upon a time I noticed some unexpected hearing loss in one ear.

Went to the doctor and he told me there was wax build up and that they would flush it out. They did and it was like nothing ever happened.

I asked the nurse what they'd used and she told me it was a mixture of things but the primary ingredient was hydrogen peroxide. She also told me if it came back, to just put a few drops in the affected ear and wait a few minutes and repeat as necessary.

This has worked for me and hydrogen peroxide can be purchased at any drug store in the US and is inexpensive.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads