• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hey guys
I picked up this cotton Uniqlo jacket last week:

I'm going to wear it with chinos (with maybe a knit tie) and with dark denim (with no tie).
Two questions:
1) Would you wear a PS with this?
2) If so, what kind? I'm thinking silk would perhaps be too formal?

I usually prefer matte pocket squares. I love my vintage kimono silk one from Vanda

I dont know how to fold a PS, i just stuff mine in the pocket.

Ryback

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

You've made a thread dedicated to this exact question, and someone there has taken the time to answer you rather usefully. Given that, do you need to post the same thing here with by a massive picture? I couldn't guess whether that's a twill from that picture, but it isn't rocket science...

I'm just showing my fellow Australian members my pickup. I just thought if pinch it that question, but the sole purpose for this postbox this thread was just for my pickup.

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I'm just showing my fellow Australian members my pickup. I just thought if pinch it that question, but the sole purpose for this postbox this thread was just for my pickup.
they are cotton twill pants aka chinos ... is that the query?

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

they are cotton twill pants aka chinos ... is that the query?

lol

Gents, I have a pair of these florsheim by duckie brown - in Navy /Green. Bought them last year haven't worn them yet. Do you think they are a bit too dandy ?
Should I keep them or sell ? They are brand new in us 9.

Last edited:

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey guys

I'm going to wear it with chinos (with maybe a knit tie) and with dark denim (with no tie).
Two questions:

Nice jacket!. I'd definitely wear a handkerchief with that - white linen, tv fold would be my first choice but I also like the idea of a contrast between the texture of the jacket and the handkerchief so I wouldn't rule out silk. You've got a well developed sense of taste so go with your gut. Wear whatever handkerchief you like and if it feels right, it will be.

What Mr Nice Guy Gerry said. I got a similar jacket from Boglioli for my birthday the other day. Works well with dark denim and suede chukka or chinos and leather loafers, throw on a knit tie if you like (and I know you do). Have had both silk and cotton pocket square on with it and both look great.

Gerry's advice to trust your instincts is best. I think we are too often fearfully on making a "mistake" in the way we dress, when that is the best way to learn what can work for us and develop our own sense of style.

There is a theory that everything looks better when worn with confidence and I think that works for those who understand the basic of dressing well (def. you). Wear it with pride and try out different things. Hell, if you want some (usually polite and constructive) criticism be one of those brave souls who posts a picture (since you have prize winning skills if memory serves, from the Henry Carter competition).

For reference this is my jacket.

Available here - http://www.farfetch.com/shopping/men/boglioli-single-breast-jacket-item-10161420.aspx

And this link has some advice for "cigar linen" (similar colour) - http://dieworkwear.com/post/19240786953/cigar-linen

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dropped into Bonaparte's boutique on the way to the airport today. My first time there, a nice little store. I grabbed an unstructured cotton jacked for a fair price. They're doing some sleeve and shoulder alterations (free) which is nice.
Will have more time for a better look through the store when I pick it up.
(Loving the inflight wifi !)

yes good store.

What sort of jacket?

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Odd question but... Plain t shirts, especially white, anyone got a good source?
I've decided it's high time to retire my collection of Bonds tees and... wow have their prices gone up since I last purchased.
Just after something crew neck, reasonably trim fitting in the body and waist & good quality.
:satisfied:

When Rivers has a special sale I pick up a bunch of their T shirts in white - they are thick and long lasting - . just like.......

I only wear T shirts under an open necked shirt. T shirts are underwear. Except in Qld where a clean one is formal wear.

I kinda like the blue jeans white t shirt look for summer weekends

I'm more Blue shirt and white jeans.

Last edited:

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey guys
Two questions:

Contrast the materials - smooth bright paisley silk just plonked in - or nothing.

If wearing tie with it - nothing.

Careful its, the jacket that is, not too close in colour to khaki chinos. The chinos need to be white or off white.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Linen square maybe?

I think you'd be fine with denim, so long as you're not wearing low rise jeans with a short jacket.

From memory those uniglo jackets are real bum freezers??

Its a pity (Pitti??) about the crazy short jacket phase the industry is going through - as there is a lot of decent reasonably priced cotton etc unstructured jackets popping up on the mainstreet shops just now. I saw some good looking Bugatti? jackets - but didn't get time to have a squiz - anyone seen/tried them?.

Last edited:

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

lol
Gents, I have a pair of these florsheim by duckie brown - in Navy /Green. Bought them last year haven't worn them yet. Do you think they are a bit too dandy ?
Should I keep them or sell ? They are brand new in us 9.

That looks like a saddle shoe. Traditional American Ivy staple worn with chinos, or cotton suit, as relaxed dressed/smart casual or beat up very casual.
Not a big fan of that colour combo myself.

Two shades of brown I like or black and burgundy or leather and suede.

joiji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
They look it, but we can't tell for certain from the quality of the picture and lack of composition details. Does it really matter? They look casual enough to wear where you would wear chinos anyways, the definition doesn't matter as much as how you intend to style them. Iron the crease out and they will be more chino-y.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That was the question. If they were chinos. So they are?

If you want to get all accurate - going on what little can see from the pics they are somewhere between a trouser and a chino. Although I'd tend to call those trousers, mainly because they look lighter weight and more trouser-ish..That got you confused enough?

They certainly aren't 5 pocket jeans.

I'm not sure what it is you want to know?

Could you call them chinos if you wanted = Yes.

Could you call them cotton trousers if you wanted = Yes

Generally you can say chinos are always cotton - except when they are not, they are generally made to be washed in a machine and be mainly casual, perhaps a step up from jeans.

Chinos would generally be tougher thicker cotton and wear and wash well - except when they are thin light cotton.

Trousers can be cotton, can be lined or unlined, generally you would dry clean trousers- except when they are cotton ones you wash.

You might get a pair of cotton casual trousers made by your tailor but generally you'd buy chinos of the rack. Perhaps.

I suppose if you wash them only occasionally on gentle or by hand and then carefully press the crease back into them I'd call them trousers. If you throw them in the machine every week and fold them but don't iron then I'd call them chinos.

OTOH sometimes I get a rush of blood to the head and iron a crease in some chinos.

It's a funny old world - isn't it.

edit:: I have a bunch of summer cotton trousers I don't call chinos. I suppose its because in my mind they are cotton versions of woollen trousers I have - cooler in summer. I wash them gently in machine or by hand and iron them. They are greys, brown, light brown and blue. I've got some deep dark red chinos I think of as trousers.

Now I'm confused.

Its a bit like the difference between Appreciation and erotica. I know which it is when I see it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads