• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey guys
I picked up this cotton Uniqlo jacket last week:

I'm going to wear it with chinos (with maybe a knit tie) and with dark denim (with no tie).
Two questions:
1) Would you wear a PS with this?
2) If so, what kind? I'm thinking silk would perhaps be too formal?

Nice jacket, Tobs.

What to wear with it?

Well... here's a nice point of reference:

http://www.trashness.com/wp-content...lli-men-style-fashion-vespa-italy-italian.jpg

Contrast it with a dark knit (navy, brown, dark green) and a oxford-cloth shirt, maybe one with light, pencil-thin blue stripes on a white ground.

Linen, cotton or gummy madder silk for a PS.

Dark chinos as well (navy, dark brown, gray).

Nothing wrong with denims and no-tie in my opinion.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Looking at picking up a tie box, any suggestions?

Any particular reason why I should go a hanger over a box?

Because a hanger takes up less room?

I suppose that, if you've got space, then a tie box sounds good - I store quite a few of my ties in a small chest of drawers beside my bed and I can roll up my ties and fit 16 into each drawer. I've got quite a few ties, though, so I still use a couple of hanging racks in the wardrobe, particularly for knit and wool ties.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Geoff do you have your heart set on a messenger bag or are you just looking for something stylish to hold all your stuff?

A combination of something stylish to hold stuff and the look of the W+P messenger bag appeals to me. But open to suguestions.

Already have Filson Field Satchel and a small black briefcase both used for work so the messenger bag would be a good option for both work and play.

Last edited:

deingesicht

Reaction score
For similar small-timers in shoes like myself, I am providing some feedback on my experience of some entry level shoes.

About 4 months ago, I purchased a pair of Herring build to Loake 1880 specifications, and also a pair of Meermin classic range black oxfords. The prices are similar. All of them were given the same maintenance treatment, rotated wear of once per week, and had shoe trees.

The Loake had better (but coarser) finishing than the Meermin. The Meermin had some minor scuff marks, loose threads, uneven stitching, etc. However, the Meermin's overall construction quality was a bit "finer", with nice touches such as 45 degrees sawn off edges on the heel (don't know the technical term, not bothered googling).

The leather quality for Meermin is definitely better than the Loake. Both leathers were stiff right out of the box, but the Meermin was slightly stiffer. However, the Meermin leather broke in much faster than the Loake, and has now molded to my feet for a much better fit than the Loake. The Meermin leather gives a better shine with less work, and appears to have better lustre and depth. I am just comparing basic black leather.

The inner leather lining of the Meermin is again better quality than the Loake. The leather appears to be thicker but supple.

The footbed of the Meermin provides much more comfort than the Loake (which is still hard and stiff). In fact, the Meermin "cushioning" is on par with Bally Scribes.

Initial wear of the soles were much faster for Meermin than the Loake. However, after about 5 wears, the rate of wear on the soles of the Meermin has reached a steady state and is wearing as normal. The Loake was topied after 5 wears, and at the time of topying, the wear was less than the Meermin.

There is no noticeable difference in leather creasing between Meermin and Loake. Both are snug fits for my feet, with the Meermin having a very slight heel slippage due to a larger heel area.

Overall, my money definitely comes down on the side of the Meermin.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the review. Which Meermin did you purchase in the end?

jmills

Reaction score

Yeah, I'm just curious about my options because I'm stuck out in Perth. I will keep an eye out for when PJ's entourage visits us again, but I'm wondering whether Herringbone might be a decent alternative for the time being.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Has anyone tried Herringbone's MTM?

I haven't, but I did go to the local launch and was able to try on some of their "sample" suits.

It seemed to be a pretty limited MTM operation. In essence, the local store has a supply of suits/jackets in various sizes on their MTM block, which they get you to try on. It's worth noting that the block on which the suits/jackets are made is not the same as their usual, off-the-rack blocks, but it is instead a block supplied by the MTM suit maker, Scabal.

Once you're wearing the sample suit, one of the employees takes some measurements and makes notes about what needs to be modified. There are, apparently, various things that can be done but the essential block stays the same.

To be frank, I wasn't pretty impressed. The MTM block didn't fit me as well as the standard, Osaka block and the relatively small range of options/alterations available meant that the only real advantage of getting MTM was so that you could get a particular fabric.

I must say that they do have some nice fabrics in their MTM books, particularly in regard to odd jackets for summer but as long as the MTM program is so restricted, I'm not interested.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A combination of something stylish to hold stuff and the look of the W+P messenger bag appeals to me. But open to suguestions.
Already have Filson Field Satchel and a small black briefcase both used for work so the messenger bag would be a good option for both work and play.

You might check out Saddleback leather. They have some messanger bags/scholar bag crossovers and they are all made tough in the USA.

CLC-SL-LG-DCB-SLC01B-250.jpg

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For all the experts on Ralph Lauren, I recently found a linen navy blazer which fitted me well. At Myer in the city, if I recall correctly. They want $1k for it, which sounds stompingly extravagant to me. Does anyone know whether I can get the same item cheaper online?

lennier

Reaction score

For all the experts on Ralph Lauren, I recently found a linen navy blazer which fitted me well. At Myer in the city, if I recall correctly.  They want $1k for it, which sounds stompingly extravagant to me.  Does anyone know whether I can get the same item cheaper online?   

Get PJohnson to make you one that would be better quality and cheaper as well as fitting you perfectly, if you're in that ballpark!

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For all the experts on Ralph Lauren, I recently found a linen navy blazer which fitted me well. At Myer in the city, if I recall correctly.  They want $1k for it, which sounds stompingly extravagant to me.  Does anyone know whether I can get the same item cheaper online?   

Trying to find the same thing online is always a bit chancy, but RL Polo stuff is usually widely available on eBay and there are quite a few very reputable sellers there.

A lot of new-with-tags (NWT) jackets and suits sell for $400 or less on the 'Bay, so if you can find the same jacket, you will save a significant amount of money.

The only potential obstacle could be the seasonal differences between here and the northern hemisphere, which means that we usually have better luck picking up cheap winter stuff from the US during our summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members