• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^I'm in the market for a Bullshit Dector, an essential accesory for the coming weeks.

Spandexter

Reaction score
You should have fine tuned that over Gillards term....or anytime the Labor party talks about money.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I thought Vanity Fair was a quality magazine but really http://www.smh.com.au/executive-style/style/who-is-the-worlds-bestdressed-man-20130802-2r3ku.html

Kieth Richards judged to be the second best dressed man in the world? You have to be kidding!

I would have picked Charlie over Keith.

+100.

Still, I gave up any hope of seeing a decent "best-dressed" list years back, as the winners almost always look awful.

I remember one best dressed list published in the Australian's "Wish" magazine a couple of years back. There were a few people on the list who looked reasonable, although not great, a few who were very ordinary, and an architect who was dressed in a black jumper or long-sleeved t-shirt, black jeans and black sneakers. I thought, "Really? I know quite a few architects and they all dress like that!"

Using a bullshit detector in this campaign would be like using a metal detector in a foundry.

Very well said. I'm not watching the television for the next five weeks!

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So I had a pair of AS Armfield's that were just too light a colour to feature regularly in my rotation so I decided to do see if I could take them to a richer/darker colour. I used a combination of black, dark brown and maroon Saphir colours. Anyway, here are the results.
Before (unworn): After (with a few miles on them): {/SPOILER]
Nice, I do that to my lighter brown tan shoes, but not to this extent, good job!

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I remember a week back there was a discussion on slippers, what's the recommendation. I wouldn't mind custom embroidory too. Need to be able to walk outside, get the mail etc too.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey guys, I remember a week back there was a discussion on slippers, what's the recommendation. I wouldn't mind custom embroidory too. Need to be able to walk outside, get the mail etc too.

I think that a site or two might have been mentioned at that time, although I can't remember what they might have been.

When you're talking about slippers, you've got to decide whether you want a pair of Grecian slippers, which are only designed to be worn around the house, and the hardier, leather soled velvet slippers, which could potentially be worn outside but which will probably not stand up to too much outdoor wear given that the uppers are velvet.

The former (the Grecian) typically have soft leather uppers and are easy to slip on when getting out of bed. The latter (sometimes called Albert slippers) have velvet uppers and a leather sole and can be embroidered with a crest or with your initials.

If you're not too fussy about what you have on them, you can probably pick up a pair on eBay for a reasonable price as brands like RL Polo (and its more expensive Purple Label counterpart) have often made versions with a faux-royal crest or an "R" on one slipper and an "L" on the other, for example.

There are some places that will embroider slippers with your initials, if you choose, although they're not cheap: http://broadlandslippers.co.uk/Mens-Monogrammed-Velvet-Albert-Slippers

Shipton & Heneage, in the UK, has a wide range of plain and embroidered slippers, with motifs including animals, fruit, crests, cigars and many other things: http://www.shiptonandheneage.co.uk/slippers.html

C&J have a pair with skull-and-bones embroidery - perfect for relaxing after a hard day of piracy and plunder: http://www.crockettandjones.com/Product/Skull-Crossbones#.Uf7Vq2SPhXM

I'm sure that there are some other places around that do embroidered velvet slippers, too, so it would be worthwhile doing a search. I remember seeing a pair with a fantastic embroidery of an owl on the toe, but I can't remember where it was anymore.

As an aside, I know that Ethan Newton (formerly of Herringbone and P.Johnson, now of The Armoury in HK) used to wear a pair of RL Purple Label velvet slippers with a suit sometimes. It's an acquired, perhaps somewhat pretentious and eccentric look but Ethan carried the look well. It's something that suits some people more than others.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You acquire the slippers and suit look when you acquire a #menswear store, if I recall correctly.

Lachy - I suspect that you are correct in regard to most people wearing velvet slippers with a suit, but I saw Ethan dressed like that when he was working at Herringbone. Clearly, he was ahead of the pack!

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back to work

Coat: Herringbone Sydney
Shirt: Kamakura uni stripe OCBD
Tie: Henry Carter 7 Fold Repp
Trousers: Henry Carter prototype sample
Shoes: Meermin (Boxfresh) Austerity brogue
PS: Henry Carter
Ciggie butt on ground: Not mine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads