• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

FredAstaire1899

Reaction score
$250 is bit much to spend.Just one criticism is that the factory didn't iron out the creasing s. In AE thread I have seen 10 years old shoes comes looking brand new from AE re-crafting factory.
I agree with this, seeing as it's almost half the cost of a new pair. Also, I think those shoes could do with a highly pigmented cream polish, but it might just be the lighting. But the job on the soles does look excellent of course - you'd never get that from even the best cobbler's in Australia. I wonder how even a good local cobbler would go stitching the sole back on around the waist, as the welt is very close to the upper.

Out of interest, how heavily did you wear them before sending them for the re-sole?

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I agree with this, seeing as it's almost half the cost of a new pair. Also, I think those shoes could do with a highly pigmented cream polish, but it might just be the lighting. But the job on the soles does look excellent of course - you'd never get that from even the best cobbler's in Australia. I wonder how even a good local cobbler would go stitching the sole back on around the waist, as the welt is very close to the upper. Out of interest, how heavily did you wear them before sending them for the re-sole?
For a long time these were my only pair of brown shoes, so I wore them at least twice a week over a period of years. They didn't get adequate care, as you can see. When considering the cost, you need to bear in mind that this $250 includes $70 to ship the shoes to the UK. (DM absorbed the cost of bringing them back in one of their shipments). I needed to spend around $100 to render them even wearable again. I took them to my regular cobbler and he said that the cork had started to wear, and he couldn't do anything to fix that. He basically said they were shot. So the calculus was: 1/ chuck the shoes completely and fork out a minimum of $600 for replacements, 2/ spend $100 on a crap job that might not help at all, or 3/ spend $250 on refurbishing and see how it works out. I decided to give refurbishing a try, to see what it's like. What do you mean by a highly-pigmented polish?. I have a few different shades of brown in Saphir creams and polishes.

Last edited:

FredAstaire1899

Reaction score
For a long time these were my only pair of brown shoes, so I wore them at least twice a week over a period of years. They didn't get adequate care, as you can see.

When considering the cost, you need to bear in mind that this $250 includes $70 to ship the shoes to the UK. (DM absorbed the cost of bringing them back in one of their shipments). I needed to spend around $100 to render them even wearable again. I took them to my regular cobbler and he said that the cork had started to wear, and he couldn't do anything to fix that. He basically said they were shot.

So the calculus was: 1/ chuck the shoes completely and fork out a minimum of $600 for replacements, 2/ spend $100 on a crap job that might not help at all, or 3/ spend $250 on refurbishing and see how it works out. I decided to give refurbishing a try, to see what it's like.

What do you mean by a highly-pigmented polish?. I have a few different shades of brown in Saphir creams and polishes.

Sorry if I was a bit critical before - long week. I should have thanked you for informing everyone of the cost of the factory resole and providing detailed pictures of the work performed.

By highly-pigmented polish I meant a colour restoring cream like Saphir as it seemed to me that they were a few shades lighter than the current dark brown Audley's. As you already use this perhaps C&J use a different shade now. They look well maintained to me.

The Goodyear Welt and cork issue is a major one. I know even the best cobbler's in Sydney won't replace the cork. I think if it was very badly damaged they might be able to carve a piece of leather in its place, but it's doubtful. In this situation, I may have tried the factory resole.

joiji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen some cobblers replacing the cork filling with a synthetic foam like alternative. I imagine the only downside is it wouldn't hold shape like cork would, but also wouldn't rot like cork would. Both have their advantages I guess.

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well I went to Double Monk today and picked up my refurbished C&J Audleys. Here's a cross=post form the C&J thread.

This is a pair of Crockett & Jones Audleys that I returned to the factory in Northampton for refurbishment.

The first photo shows the neglected state they were in. The heels were worn right down at the back, and the soles had been worn all the way through to the cork.

The other photos show the shoes after they came back. So what had C&J done?

1. Replaced the cork, welt, soles and heels on the original last. The soles and heels look magnificent - i'm reluctant to walk around in them now!

2. New insoles

4. New laces.

5. Thorough clean, with the patina looking really nice.

The total cost was $250, including shipping from Australia to the UK and back. If you consider that a quality shoe repairer here in Melbourne would probably charge $100 for a full set of soles and heels, this looks like pretty good value. I wouldn't do this for any old shoe, but would certainly consider the exercise for another high-end pair of shoes. in future.

]

Thanks for sharing the photos and cost, great job on the factory resole.

Does your regular cobbler offer a full resole or half resole as a service? Because I see plenty of worn through soles coming through my cobbler, and he fixes them up alright.

For me, I just topy and don't have to worry about this.

iSurg

Reaction score
Just watched the movie that was referenced earlier today - The Best Offer. This was one of the best movies I've seen all year! It has everything - plot, original track, great actors, and wardrobe. Left me still thinking about it way afterwards. Highly highly recommended.

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Old man made a pizza oven a while back, will PM you the recipe, unless others are interested?

SWMBO only hand washes linen clothing.

Re pizza dough I have a couple that work very well will have to dig them out as they are PDF and can send it via PM if anyone interested.

Now excuse me my labours are done the wine has aired and I will settle in to watch the rugby.Go the Brumbies.

I'm keen - PM or post at your leisure, please!

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

I'm keen - PM or post at your leisure, please!
Hey matt part of the way to get a good base is to have a stone or vented tray and preheat it to the max.. Otherwise you get a soggy disaster

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey matt part of the way to get a good base is to have a stone or vented tray and preheat it to the max.. Otherwise you get a soggy disaster

+1 on the stone tray. The crust on my home-made pizzas improved considerably once I got a couple of them.

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use to be a huge fan of pizza stones and whilst I still use them, when making my own base they seem to come out better on the vented tray

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having neither a stone or a vented tray (as far as I know) that's a huge tip I think.

I'm essentially going to become the world's greatest in-home chef in rural Australia.

streetminimal

Reaction score
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads