• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know we talked about this yesterday, but I think CDs shoes look fantastic post-refurb. I don't mind at all that there is still some evident creasing on the shoe. I like it. To me, good shoes look their worst when they're brand new; stiff, lifeless and often in the case of goodyear welted shoes that aren't the likes of St. Crispin's, John Lobb, and others in that league of "refinement", a little clunky. These look fantastic.

CD, I'm not sure if they were in fact yours, but a few months back when I was at Double Monk I saw dark brown Audley's with a hole in the soul about to sent out to England. If they were yours then the job that's been is incredible. The shoes I saw looked very hacked up.

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which one, GN? There are four: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley

I see where you are coming from, you like (1) a clean, simple aesthetic done well. (2) For me, that kind of aesthetic is more like anesthetic: (3) fun in small doses. (4) TEHO.

I hereby amend my previous statement to "Yes, I tend to agree with view (2), (3) and (4) above."
smile.gif

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know we talked about this yesterday, but I think CDs shoes look fantastic post-refurb. I don't mind at all that there is still some evident creasing on the shoe. I like it. To me, good shoes look their worst when they're brand new; stiff, lifeless and often in the case of goodyear welted shoes that aren't the likes of St. Crispin's, John Lobb, and others in that league of "refinement", a little clunky. These look fantastic.

I think they look good as well - one pair of brand new shoes looks just like any other. The type of wear on the shoe is the mark of the wearer and what makes it their own.

jas0nt

Reaction score

To me, good shoes look their worst when they're brand new; stiff, lifeless and often in the case of goodyear welted shoes that aren't the likes of St. Crispin's, John Lobb, and others in that league of "refinement", a little clunky. These look fantastic.

Agreed entirely - would prefer my old shoes to a new pair any day of the week.

Here's a nice pic I found which shows age/patina/a boatload of character.

http://i.imgur.com/OHjm72t.jpg

Last edited:

boff

Reaction score

I use to be a huge fan of pizza stones and whilst I still use them, when making my own base they seem to come out better on the vented tray

Try a big cast iron frying pan. Get the oven max hot. Get the frying pan rather hot. Then cook the pizza in the oven on the base (underside) of the pan.

joiji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Will do.

As others have said, if you're cooking in a standard oven, I found getting a vented tray helped more than a dough recipe. Some swear by a pizza stone, but I've had better success with a vented tray.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pizza recipie

4 Cups flour I a white spelt,personal choice or any goog quality flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

Packet and a half powdered yeast Tandaco is the brand I've used for years.

1cup hot water

Mix flour,salt,yeast then gradually add water.

kneed for 10 minutes cover with tea towel and let stand in a warm place for at least an hour. Once doubled in size roll out. Makes 4 bases

For either gas or electric domestic oven it needs to be cranked right up and left to heat for an hour minimun. One pizza in oven takes 10-15 minutes should rotate after 7 minutes.

I just use thin metal trays as opposed to vented trays or pizza stone. I always get good results.

Toppings? last night, Salami,eggplant,olives,goats cheese on tomato

Pumpkin,fetta,rocket,artichoke on tomato

Eggplant,SDT,artichokes,olives, caramelised onions,mushrooms and goat brie on tomato, give it a bit of chilli for a kick

a good Morington Peninsula pinot noir or solid Barossa shiraz to wash them down

Last edited:

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
itlaian cook book "light of lucia" is good - she does cooking classes here in leichardt - she also does a pizza-class but she has the advantage of a wood fire oven

highly recommended though - even though she is a crazy nutter

Spandexter

Reaction score
So I had a pair of AS Armfield's that were just too light a colour to feature regularly in my rotation so I decided to do see if I could take them to a richer/darker colour. I used a combination of black, dark brown and maroon Saphir colours. Anyway, here are the results.

Before (unworn):

After (with a few miles on them):

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

burnso

Reaction score
So I had a pair of AS Armfield's that were just too light a colour to feature regularly in my rotation so I decided to do see if I could take them to a richer/darker colour. I used a combination of black, dark brown and maroon Saphir colours. Anyway, here are the results.
Great job. I'm considering something similar... by saphir colours do you mean dyes or creams?
Looks great like a dye, and I'm pretty interested in your method. I've read the antiquing thread and think I have a decent idea, but you have done really well...

Spandexter

Reaction score
Thanks. It was actually easier than I thought it would be. No dyes involved just polish. The most nerve wrecking part was the first coat of black polish. I focused this on the toe box, the outer side and the outer heel as this is where the shoe wears most over time. After that I gave the whole shoe a light once over with the black polish and then two more coats of dark brown and one coat of moroon to try and give it some depth.

I also applied a light application of conditioner at the start of the process and a light application of water in between polished to get some shine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads