• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_9639.jpeg

BananaKing

Reaction score
Hi guys need some help to source the right black bow tie. Groomsmen are wearing a linen-wool mix light beige jacket, black linen trousers, white shirts. Looking a black bow ties but the typical satin (and a lot of grosgrain) seem too shiny for the outfit. Any suggestions on what/where to look?

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
or what about a houndstooth/puppy tooth bow tie? or seersucker? plenty of options.

eightace

Reaction score
This is a long shot, but I don't suppose anyone here is named Hamish Stuart (or writes under that name in the comments section of Permanent Style)?
If so, can you please DM me?

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My oscar hunt MTM. Any thoughts on what the issue on the back is and would you give them a second chance?

IMG_2410.jpeg

ryanohare

Reaction score
Both armholes seem pretty stuffed. Not sure anything bit a complete re-work would fix that.

Was about to say the same. Not easy to see but it seems far too tight under the armpit (especially on the right side) which is causing the pulling across the back and the upper part of the arm. It may also be contributing to the overall arm length which seems a touch too short to me.

I wouldn't accept that as a MTM at all.

oz_boater

Reaction score
Where to buy / commission a Sports Jacket suitable for holiday travel in Sydney?

I am starting to travel a fair bit for leisure now I am in my late 50s and have been researching travel clothes that are crease resistant and can go a while between washes, but still look decent.

Wrote about my search here: https://www.styleforum.net/threads/stylish-clothes-for-travel.728849/

Have settled pretty well everything other than the Jacket.

Did buy in a Bluffworks Hopsack Blazer and the kindest thing I can say about it is it looks like a sack. (I took pictures but they don't capture how bad it is).
Suffice to say if I had met this in a store it would have gone straight back on the rack.

Link to Bluffworks Hopsack Jacket

More a heavyweight shirt or a cardigan cut in the form of a Blazer it is with Reza at Precision Alterations and Tailoring in Balmain (along with the pants and merino wool shirts) to do what he can.

The pants and shirts will be good with Reza's alterations, but his comment on the jacket was "this is not a jacket!"

He is having a go at making it better, but neither of us is all that hopeful.

The material is so light the internal pockets show through and it has little structure. The opposite of the classy look I am after.

Reza has offered to make me a properly canvassed one in Merino for about $750, but I would like to check my other options before jumping in.

So does someone have suggestions for sourcing a good sports jacket in Sydney, suitable for living out of a suitcase for weeks at a time? Where it resists crushing and can be keep presentable with materials I can take with me or obtain on the spot (in places like Tokyo, Rome, Paris, etc).

Thanks muchly
Richard

Last edited:

oz_boater

Reaction score
I would recommend Joe Ha at The Finery Company, Paddington.
Thanks Sensuki

These folks?

Their blurb is a bit cringe-worthy

"Since its establishment in 2014 by the visionary Joe Ha, our bespoke tailors have elevated fashion to extraordinary heights."

Text like this would normally make me want to run away fast, but you have experience of their delivery matching their self regard, I will check them out.

At up to $12K for a 2 piece suit, (down to $3,650) they would have to be pretty special.

I am guessing $2K to $8K for a sports jacket from them based on their website.

Their instagram does seem to have some nice stuff to my untutored eye.

sensuki

Reaction score
Thanks Sensuki

These folks?

Their blurb is a bit cringe-worthy

"Since its establishment in 2014 by the visionary Joe Ha, our bespoke tailors have elevated fashion to extraordinary heights."

Text like this would normally make me want to run away fast, but you have experience of their delivery matching their self regard, I will check them out.

At up to $12K for a 2 piece suit, (down to $3,650) they would have to be pretty special.

I am guessing $2K to $8K for a sports jacket from them based on their website.

Their instagram does seem to have some nice stuff to my untutored eye.

That's them. The stuff on the website is probably outsourced to some marketing company.

I recently paid $4.5K for a bespoke jacket from them - price included a surcharge for the cloth and I'm very happy with it, and it's also extremely comfortable compared to my made to measure jacket from another outfit - can check my post history for photos of the jacket at the first fitting (don't have any of the second fitting though) and the final product, of which I need to take some better photos.

The jacket is made in Korea, and I had two basted fittings for the jacket.

They have just developed a new line called "TFC Sartorial" which is a semi-bespoke offering, all the internal structure of the jacket is machine stitched (the canvas etc) but the outside is hand-stitched and there's one basted fitting - much faster turn around than bespoke.

My suggestion would be just go and make an appointment just to check them out and see if you get a good feel.

oz_boater

Reaction score
I recently paid $4.5K for a bespoke jacket from them - price included a surcharge for the cloth and I'm very happy with it, and it's also extremely comfortable compared to my made to measure jacket from another outfit - can check my post history for photos of the jacket at the first fitting (don't have any of the second fitting though) and the final product, of which I need to take some better photos.
My suggestion would be just go and make an appointment just to check them out and see if you get a good feel.
Thanks for the helpful reply Sensuki, I am still feeling my way into this whole "dress well" idea so I may start more modestly.

I don't mind investing some coin on some durable, lasting clothing (and shoes) but right now I am not confident I know enough to make the right decisions on "investment" grade clothes. Something StyleForum is helping me with, but it will take time.

I will however ignore the pretentious stuff on their website and put them down as serious players.

Thanks for the intel.

sensuki

Reaction score

Thanks for the helpful reply Sensuki, I am still feeling my way into this whole "dress well" idea so I may start more modestly.

I don't mind investing some coin on some durable, lasting clothing (and shoes) but right now I am not confident I know enough to make the right decisions on "investment" grade clothes. Something StyleForum is helping me with, but it will take time.

I will however ignore the pretentious stuff on their website and put them down as serious players.

Thanks for the intel.

In regards to looking at a jacket, if you haven't already I would suggest looking at the two following threads - Unfunded Liabilities - aka "The Cloth Thread" and Ongoing Bespoke Projects - these threads are absolutely fantastic for learning about cloth and jacket style - you should be able to find lots of reference materials in those threads to help find an idea of what you'd like your jacket to look like and different types of fabrics to consider.

Off the top of my head (without any idea as to color or season preference), A Mock Leno fabric would be my first off the top of my head suggestion - if you search those threads for Mock Leno, you will find some examples

GtFG

Reaction score
For shoes, Evans Leather in town are very good, but increasingly overpriced.
Thanks for this. Absolutely spot on on Evans - insane what they wanted to charge for a couple of scratches and a topy for a pair of my C&Js.

Will check our Manfred's, as well as P&P at some point - really appreciate the recommendations

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads