• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

joiji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Northern NSW. Travel to Sydney for work & Brisbane occasionally to see ageing relatives.
At this point I'm open to anywhere in Australia. Feels like the last few decent places I knew of didn't survive COVID & either no one wants to ship here, or shipping is more expensive than the furniture.
Did you ever find anything? I make a few things for myself, family and friends, and suspect there are quite a few like me around the place.
There might be someone local-ish willing to do some custom work if you ask around? Maybe a call into Carba-tec or Timbecon may have some suggestions.

YMMV of course. Reach out if I can help with any vetting.

sensuki

Reaction score

I don't recall Pino ever mentioned here before, there is one post about him from 2021. FWIW I passed along his details to my friend.

I have heard of him. Mila's (previously of Magik Alterations) husband told me about him when I first visited her to pick up some alterations after she started working from home. I possibly even posted asking if anyone had tried before, don't think I got a reply.

edit: just realized you were referring to my 2021 post!

G'Day. Is there a community-approved list of dry cleaners in each state?

No VIC dry cleaner I have tried have been perfect. I saw Laundry Box recommended earlier. They ruined a pair of my casual linen trousers when I tried them a few years ago - they do 'wet cleaning' and couldn't get the stain out, instead of leaving it they rubbed the color out of the fabric. Wasn't too happy about that and never went back.

The best experience I've had is probably with Ferrari Dry Cleaners in Moorabbin. I generally only used them for trousers dry cleaning and pressing. There was one coffee stain on a pair of oatmeal linen trousers that they couldn't remove. Otherwise the only issue I've had is my heaviest cotton trousers sometimes were returned with a stale smell. I did mention it to the owner and he said because of the thickness of the cotton, they mustn't have steamed them long/hot enough. The issue occurred on several occasions with those trousers though - probably depends on which staff member was doing the pressing.

At the moment I live West side and I primarily use Essence Dry Cleaners in Yarraville because it's close, but they have been inconsistent. No issues with Wool trousers, but the dry cleaning of cottons and linens have sometimes been perfect, sometimes returned pressed incorrectly (pleats pressed like a flat front) or they look like they haven't been cleaned at all. I guess it depends which staff member you get. I did complain to them once about the quality of the pressing, and the owner ensured they were properly done the next time.

Altona Dry Cleaner is alright, I would just use them if I could get there more often. For anything where I want to preserve the color of the fabric, I go there as they use siloxane instead of perc. I've had one trouser returned pressed incorrectly. I've been incredibly surprised at some of the stains they've been able to remove from garments, but also disappointed at some they haven't.

I have mailed garments to Rave FabriCare in the USA and both garments were perfectly cleaned, buttons removed and re-attached - expensive, but worth it IMO for your precious items.

Last edited:

SKS

Reaction score
I have mailed garments to Rave FabriCare in the USA

One more reason to develop domestic capability instead of universally relying on our allies.
Clearly, this applies to various domains.

Last edited:

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One more reason to develop domestic capability instead of universally relying on our allies. Clearly this applies to various domains.
Usually what I do is ask them if they have a dummy press. If they have one, more likely than not they know what they are doing.

mercury

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I'd been looking for a passport holder that:

a) has a slot to hold a boarding pass, and

b) is slim enough to fit in the breast pocket of a sport coat.

Couldn't find anything I liked, so had to go custom. Contacted Rocky from Mill Handmade (based in Brisbane), who'd made me some watch straps before.

Russian calf leather in brown, with the inside lining done in shrunken calf in dark navy.
20230919_161943.jpg

20230919_161925.jpg

Very happy with the final product, so posting here in case anyone else has been thinking about custom leather stuff.

Website is Mill Handmade - different leather options listed on the website.

Last edited:

sensuki

Reaction score
Nice!

I have a cordovan wallet that Rocky made me in 2017. Hands down the best purchase I made that year. I'm using a wallet less and less these days but I think I'll get him to make me a card holder or something when I get around to it.

As far as Australian leatherworkers go, I also like James B. Young ,I use him for belts, his bags look nice. I don't wear watches but he does those as well (probably main source of business now I imagine).

Esplanade

Reaction score
Where does one find good quality suits in Australia, specifically Adelaide? I don't think the quality of common "major" retailers justify their price (e.g., MJ Bale). Do I just go full out and get a tailor for everything? I would love to get a few Tom Ford suits (on discount, as I am not that rich, and with our dollar in the gutter it's only getting worse), but I can't find much availability even if I was to travel to Melb/Sydney.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where does one find good quality suits in Australia, specifically Adelaide? I don't think the quality of common "major" retailers justify their price (e.g., MJ Bale). Do I just go full out and get a tailor for everything? I would love to get a few Tom Ford suits (on discount, as I am not that rich, and with our dollar in the gutter it's only getting worse), but I can't find much availability even if I was to travel to Melb/Sydney.
Where are you based?

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How's the situation in Perth? From what I can tell, the situation in Adelaide is quite dire. Do you have much knowledge about other cities - Melb or Syd?
Perth: only place I know and have had experience at is Parker & Co.

Melbourne: Harrolds have a Tom Ford boutique.

Few other places in Melbourne of note, but if it is TF you are after Harrolds is it.

Esplanade

Reaction score
Perth: only place I know and have had experience at is Parker & Co.

Melbourne: Harrolds have a Tom Ford boutique.

Few other places in Melbourne of note, but if it is TF you are after Harrolds is it.
Thanks, I will check it out. I didn't realise it was a proper boutique there.

What other places in Melbourne would you recommend for other than TF stuff? I'm also looking to expand my business casual wardrobe, so would appreciate any suggestions.

Finally, what's the current consensus on dress shirts? Is it still a better (and oftentimes cheaper) idea to just buy online from the likes of Eton rather than searching locally, even if it is MTM? Tailors I've experienced so far have not inspired much confidence.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Archipelagos