• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

kingsolomon

Reaction score
Can anyone in Melbourne recommend a great eyewear store. Not talking about Spec Savers or OPSM I'm willing to drop some dosh.

ndrew

Reaction score
The good old MJ Bale are running $100 off $500 spend, or $300 off $1000 spend. It's a good time to get some starter suits for upcoming summer internships/clerkships (if there are any others hankering around).

2 suits for $700 from their basic/blue label line; hitting myself for buying mine weeks ago during the 25% off promo. I know in store MJ Bale will offer a second pair of trousers for $150 (from their 2 for $1000 range), so if you can snag the same deal online (or rock up in store afterwards with your online receipt and see if they'll do trousers for $150?) it seems like a solid bargain to me.

On that note, I'm having an amazingly hard time finding suits that fit a rail thin frame. I can fit into MJ Bale's size 34/drop 7, or size 36/drop 8. Their size 36/drop 7 (or a "slim"/regular size 36 from anywhere else) is too boxy around the chest and waist and I got turned away by the tailor the first time I turned up with them. :p I've been told to hanker around Herringbone and Rhodes & Beckett since they're both owned by Van Laack and should have very similar cuts/sizing... does anyone have any other suggestions? :)

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can anyone in Melbourne recommend a great eyewear store. Not talking about Spec Savers or OPSM I'm willing to drop some dosh.
Australians are hugely ripped off when it comes to eye hardware.
The markups are around 1,000%.
In eye hardware it is demonstrably NOT true that you get what you pay for.
The vast majority of brands and retail outlets are owned by Luxotica.
Despite the hyped branding most are also made in China.
Most are made in the same factories, with the same materials and the same workers.
The label Made in Italy requires little more than the plane shipping the glasses to fly over Italian territory or the security guard at the Chinese factory to intone "Ciao Baby" as the truck leaves the warehouse.

Last edited:

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

deadbilly

Reaction score

I was pretty happy with Eyes on Rathdowne a few years back for some Mykitas, best price when compared, and good service. Planning to go back to get some sunglasses soon. Though do note that everything is by appointment.

I do have a similar question: any recs for Melbourne made to measure shirt makers? Preference would be for non-conservative business dress locations and not too crazy pricing (Oscar Hunt starts at $150 which is okay I guess). I reckon I'm a weird shape and/or have weird ideas about wanting to be able to helicopter my arms around so I want someone that listens the first time. Cheers.

Last edited:

herringbonePete

Reaction score

I was pretty happy with Eyes on Rathdowne a few years back for some Mykitas, best price when compared, and good service. Planning to go back to get some sunglasses soon. Though do note that everything is by appointment.

I do have a similar question: any recs for Melbourne made to measure shirt makers? Preference would be for non-conservative business dress locations and not too crazy pricing (Oscar Hunt starts at $150 which is okay I guess). I reckon I'm a weird shape and/or have weird ideas about wanting to be able to helicopter my arms around so I want someone that listens the first time. Cheers.

That reminds me of the time FXH observed that many men buy suits too large because they expect to be able to practically limber up in them ...

deadbilly

Reaction score

That reminds me of the time FXH observed that many men buy suits too large because they expect to be able to practically limber up in them ...

Ah, what's better: too big or too little? For instance if I notice I can't reach both arms fully forward without significant tightness across the back panel I start doing it all the time, whilst helicoptering my arms. Maybe I need Fred Astaire's dancer sleeves or similar.

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally I always prefer a bit more.
1. More comfortable
2. Move more easily
3. Look slouchy as

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ah, what's better: too big or too little? For instance if I notice I can't reach both arms fully forward without significant tightness across the back panel I start doing it all the time, whilst helicoptering my arms. Maybe I need Fred Astaire's dancer sleeves or similar.

how about try for just right? unless you going for ready to wear.

if can't be helped, a little more room is always better than too tight.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
WTF? I thought The Wallabies had a bad year but just saw the cricket score. So much for needing to find an excuse to drink (excessively) this week.

Last edited:

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
“For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.” Matthew 18:20

Shirts
Most men (boys) these days seem to go for too tight.
If you are mainly wearing jackets then what matters is collars and cuffs and tuck-in length. The rest can be as loose as.
Unsurprisingly, I suppose, many shirts these days are too short to tuck in. And sadly too long to leave out.

A shirt too tight across the back is terrible.

Much today is too tight. Shirts look better with a bit of "bloom"

There's no such thing as a shirt that will look good tucked in AND untucked.
Get your shirt that is designed/made for one or the other.
You will most likely not be playing basketball full time in your shirt.
Throwing your arms above your head and helicoptering are not related to shirt fit.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads