• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
WIWT - Building Site
The legendary genuine Bill Cunningham jacket from hardware store in Toulouse = $25 aud. High rise khaki twill work trousers. Old boots w leather laces. Traditional biro snaffled (usually in bulk) from conference.

Terminator

Reaction score
@md2010 sorry mate, I forgot to ask about the GMT for you but will do so next time.

Bear in mind VAT in the U.K. is 20%. If buying at the airport this is completely removed in the shop (there's a Rolex store in Terminal 5 at Heathrow where BA flies from but no stockist in Terminal 2 where Swiss flies from). But if buying from an AD away from the airport you'll pay the UK rrp and they'll give you forms from a third party provider (Global Blue and such) to fill out to reclaim the VAT. Those third parties keep a cut of your VAT refund as their commission. Global Blue has a calculator on their site, you end up getting a discount of 14%, the SA said the provider Mappin & Webb uses will result in a 13.8% refund.

When are you likely to come? If I'm still around (and hopefully I'm not as that would mean I've found a job in Zurich or we've happily relocated back to Aus) we should have a beer.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

WIWT - Building Site
The legendary genuine Bill Cunningham jacket from hardware store in Toulouse = $25 aud. High rise khaki twill work trousers. Old boots w leather laces. Traditional biro snaffled (usually in bulk) from conference.

Miss having that bloke around. Such an interesting guy yet a creature of his time in many ways.

Last edited:

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Australians are hugely ripped off when it comes to eye hardware.
The markups are around 1,000%.
In eye hardware it is demonstrably NOT true that you get what you pay for.
The vast majority of brands and retail outlets are owned by Luxotica.
Despite the hyped branding most are also made in China.
Most are made in the same factories, with the same materials and the same workers.
The label Made in Italy requires little more than the plane shipping the glasses to fly over Italian territory or the security guard at the Chinese factory to intone "Ciao Baby" as the truck leaves the warehouse.

So true. The price of lenses has risen dramatically as well and when asked why the answer given is "they are like bespoke these days" FWIW>

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Now Leon Russell has gone.

A word of advice kids - Don't get old.

No one here gets out alive, Jim Morrison.

Have the odds shortened or lengthened on Keef?

Last edited:

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Last edited:

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Now Leon Russell has gone.

A word of advice kids - Don't get old.

Never forget Mad Dogs and Englishmen wore the grooves off the LP and the movie was just as good if not more engaging.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Never forget Mad Dogs and Englishmen wore the grooves off the LP and the movie was just as good if not more engaging.

Concert for Bangladesh was another standout. The reissue of MDAE is always popular in our abode.

Last edited:

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got an Awards Ceremony to attend at the Governor's Residence in Victoria tomorrow night. I'll be wearing:

- MJ Bale navy suit
- Light blue shirt from Suit Shop
- Bold pink Kenzo tie which was one of my sister's favourites.
- C&J Belgrave cap toes in black
- White linen pocket square (Henry Carter)

Oh, and socks. Probably Uniqlo. Navy.

I'll post a pic :)

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got an Awards Ceremony to attend at the Governor's Residence in Victoria tomorrow night. I'll be wearing:

- MJ Bale navy suit
- Light blue shirt from Suit Shop
- Bold pink Kenzo tie which was one of my sister's favourites.
- C&J Belgrave cap toes in black
- White linen pocket square (Henry Carter)

Oh, and socks. Probably Uniqlo. Navy.

I'll post a pic
smile.gif

Fingers crossed ...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads