• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've got an Awards Ceremony to attend at the Governor's Residence in Victoria tomorrow night. I'll be wearing:

- MJ Bale navy suit
- Light blue shirt from Suit Shop
- Bold pink Kenzo tie which was one of my sister's favourites.
- C&J Belgrave cap toes in black
- White linen pocket square (Henry Carter)

Oh, and socks. Probably Uniqlo. Navy.

I'll post a pic :)

You'll be the best dressed iGent there. Best of luck on the night.

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've got an Awards Ceremony to attend at the Governor's Residence in Victoria tomorrow night. I'll be wearing:

- MJ Bale navy suit
- Light blue shirt from Suit Shop
- Bold pink Kenzo tie which was one of my sister's favourites.
- C&J Belgrave cap toes in black
- White linen pocket square (Henry Carter)

Oh, and socks. Probably Uniqlo. Navy.

I'll post a pic :)

Socks? fxh - you have failed.

All the best at the event TBM

And to keep it sartorial - you made me think of Graydon and his grey socks...

See more - http://linenforsummertweedforwinter...hilla-graydon-carter-taking-us-to-church-once
http://linenforsummertweedforwinter...97/graydon-carter-and-the-power-of-grey-socks
http://wax-wane.com/2013/01/16/graydon-carter-commanding-cool/

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bought my first pair of Japanese denim selvage jeans.

(Photo from ad)

These are a bit long for me and I'm mulling over whether to get them shortened. If I turn the cuffs up, what would be the max turnup that would look OK? (I'm a 29 inch inseam if that helps).

I seem to recall that Up There in Melbourne can do proper hemming on jeans; is that correct?

akclothpooper

Reaction score
Upthere and PickingsParry do chain stitch hemming, but if you don't care you could go with any tailor really. If you don't want too big a cuff could always cuff smaller and twice to whatever's pleasing to the eyr, no rules as far as I'm aware for denim and cuffing.

Last edited:

melbournites

Reaction score
Best to wait until first wash prior to hemming especially if it was raw denim. Godspeed in Brunswick St also do chain stitch hemming.

akclothpooper

Reaction score
^I kind of agree but selvedge denim is such a wide definition nowadays (if it's just any denim with a selvedge line in the leg) that I bet I could find some which I find comfortable. But generally not too big on the classic 'rigid' raw denim found in most places, though I don't dislike all rawdenim as some have a softer texture otr and have more visual interest than the sheeny 'rigid' in most pairs. Generally prefer a tiny bit of elastane or something similar in them as welll, unless they're cut really wide.

Last edited:

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Best to wait until first wash prior to hemming especially if it was raw denim. Godspeed in Brunswick St also do chain stitch hemming.

I thought as much. I figure on wearing them for a few weeks until they soften, give them a wash, and then start deciding on length.

^I kind of agree but selvedge denim is such a wide definition nowadays (if it's just any denim with a selvedge line in the leg) that I bet I could find some which I find comfortable. But generally not too big on the classic 'rigid' raw denim found in most places, though I don't dislike all rawdenim as some have a softer texture otr and have more visual interest than the sheeny 'rigid' in most pairs. Generally prefer a tiny bit of elastane or something similar in them as welll, unless they're cut really wide.

Yep. If you just refer to selvage as the seam finish, then Uniqlo do very comfortable selvage jeans for around $50. I think ryan might be referring to raw denim and, if I understand it right, the Japanese stuff is different again because the looms used are vintage looms. I mainly bought these for the colour, a good alternative to the usual indigo, and the fit (going by the published measurements, which seem TTS). I'm happy to take the time to break them in.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Friday afternoon Young & Frisky Gunners ( a sartorial wasteland) a pint of Dopplebock dark bitter in front of me.

I notice this fellow at the next table's suit. Surely not?

Excuse me where did you have that suit made.

"Sydney"

Patrick Johnson?

"How did you know that"

Taps nose: I know many things.

And then ensured a brief discussion about P.Johnson trousers and their shortcomings.

After that back to the serious business of drinking.

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't have any PJ commissions so you'll need to school me - what shortcomings re their trousers?

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He complained about the trousers being too tight and he had to have them let out. While that may suit (pun intended) some builds a number of people I know have complained about this in the past couple of years.

I know the house style has changed over the past couple of years. Maybe other PJ Tailor wearers would like to comment?

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

He complained about the trousers being too tight and he had to have them let out. While that may suit (pun intended) some builds a number of people I know have complained about this in the past couple of years.

I know the house style has changed over the past couple of years. Maybe other PJ Tailor wearers would like to comment?

My first suit trousers are ok, but found the suit sleeves very tight especially in the forearms, leading to a lot of creases.

Being a tailor, I just asked them to let them out, and keep the measurements for my next commissions.

Give feedback to them, and work together to get a good fit, takes around 2 to 3 suits to get right, provided that you don't change your weight.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the same issues you can have with any tailor. Tell them what you want and they'll no doubt it for you. Bespoke/MTM is a process of give and take and takes time to get it as you want it.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Give feedback to them, and work together to get a good fit, takes around 2 to 3 suits to get right, provided that you don't change your weight.

Wrong - everyone knows it takes at least 11 commissions to dial in your fit with a tailor.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads