• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

skeen7908

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I don't really think it's impossible Geoffrey it has been addressed in the past both by violence and democratic politically driven reform

The pendulum swings back and forth albeit slowly

Thatcher and Reagan started the current shift in the 80s who knows what will happen next to swing it back

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What concerns me is the approach to Global Warming.

And how a Trump presidency will affect Oz relationship with China and let's not forget the Middle East.

Last edited:

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How has globalisation improved the lot of workers in developed countries?

Depends who you consider to be a "worker". Certainly, a lot of people in IT, finance and other such industries have benefitted enormously from globalisation but, as I pointed out, it has adversely affected many people in traditional working-class or lower-skilled jobs.

To be realistic, though, the vast majority of those jobs would have been lost through increasing use of machinery and other technology, regardless of globalisation. Farming and mining, for example, used to be very labour intensive professions but they now require far, far fewer people.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Because Clinton did such a ******* great job there.

Iraq 2003 was all the work of King George the second and the neocons which has resulted in the cluster f..k that exists there now.

skeen7908

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
How has globalisation improved the lot of workers in developed countries?

Depends who you consider to be a "worker". Certainly, a lot of people in IT, finance and other such industries have benefitted enormously from globalisation but, as I pointed out, it has adversely affected many people in traditional working-class or lower-skilled jobs. 

To be realistic, though, the vast majority of those jobs would have been lost through increasing use of machinery and other technology, regardless of globalisation. Farming and mining, for example, used to be very labour intensive professions but they now require far, far fewer people. 

Perhaps finance but that is due to the rise of "financialization" rather than globalism as such and I would hesitate to call these people "workers" as that implies they have put out some measurable product

IT well I guess it didn't really exist until the 80s so problematic as well

Your second paragraph is correct.
The issue is that the productivity gains from technology have been harvested by the owners of capital rather than being redistributed by government

This redistribution is of course inevitable particularly as labour becomes more and more worthless

Last edited:

smeggett

Reaction score
Your second paragraph is correct.
The issue is that the productivity gains from technology have been harvested by the owners of capital rather than being redistributed by government

This redistribution is of course inevitable particularly as labour becomes more and more worthless

From what I've read, if you could flash back to the late 20's and early 30's when mechanized farming was becoming a thing something like 90% of the US workforce was employed in farming and it was going to be the end of the worker. As it happens the new technology of the time created a demand that never existed previously - although these changes are never easy this is what we are now seeing with the current changes in the world economy (transfer of manufacturing and white collar work from first to second or third world countries). What will replace it? I can't say, and I expect no one could have in 1930 either...

As for the redistribution, it goes straight into land value (economic rent) - which directly impacts house pricing. Henry George had a lot to say on this back in the 19th century and the principle hasn't changed since then.

skeen7908

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Yes good point

Broad based Land tax would probably be the most progressive economic change that could be easily and realistically implemented in Australia

Of course economics is finally coming around to MMT and increasing government fiscal freedom will be the next major economic inflection point to bring back inflation and wage bargaining power

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
God is dead. Marx is dead. And I'm not feeling well myself now.

skeen7908

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Found this which really says it all

Labour's/Wages share of GDP. Small spikes during stock market crashes and financial crises, but otherwise in free fall

wages-GDP5-16a.png

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found this which really says it all

Labour's/Wages share of GDP. Small spikes during stock market crashes and financial crises, but otherwise in free fall

wages-GDP5-16a.png
Could also be that the economy is vastly more productive.

Say your hour of labour pays $5 and produces $10 worth of value. 30 years later (but using the same dollar) it pays $100 and produces $1,000 worth of value. The share has gone from 50% to 10% but you are 20x as rich in absolute terms.

If you want to make the argument that a higher share of value being captured by the capitalist as opposed to the worker is a problem, you need to demonstrate that the value produced has not increased in proportion or more.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Because Clinton did such a ******* great job there.

Like Dubya did any better? He's largely responsible for much of the mess over there and Hillary wasn't even President! Blame for the current state of the Middle East largely lies elsewhere.

Last edited:

Terminator

Reaction score
@md2010 I went into Mappin & Webb yesterday. The SA said the price increase was largely because of the gbp but also there were (apparently) four previous price increases in the Eurozone which hadn't been psssed on previously. The SA said that the uk is still the cheapest place to buy a Rolex at rrp.

The SA said they have 50 people on their waiting list for a Daytona and are being given about four a year at the moment!

Last edited:

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks @Terminator
I plan to visit London next year. Maybe pick up a BLNR minus vat. Is BLNR usually in stock?
Based on the waiting list the chance of getting a Daytona is about 12 years
1f612.png

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads