• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

michaelyork

Reaction score
Mainline Corneliani is very nice. But they have multiple lines of varying quality and styling. Some of it aims younger/casual with quirky detailing that can fall on the wrong side of odd. But the conservative mainline stuff can be great. One of my favorite makers.

what do you mean by "mainline"? is this a mainline label?

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Don't know anything about that one. Certainly cheap, but I haven't heard of it. I'd have recommended TM Lewin and Charles Tyrwhitt too for simple value from my own experience.

If you're not sure about sleeve length, maybe you can measure a shirt that fits you well? Assuming you're not near any of their actual shops, in which case you could go try.

But if you're in doubt, it's better to go longer rather than shorter: even if the sleeves are too long, it won't show under a suit and you can make the cuffs sit higher on your hand by just moving the button, if you don't want to get them taken up properly. Too short, and you're stuck.

Last edited:

redboat

Reaction score
Unfortunately not--you can't really alter the shoulders.

If you post pics in the Tailor's Fit Feedback thread, folks there can help you decide if it fits.
Actually you can alter the shoulders, but it is expensive. My tailor charges about $160.

redboat

Reaction score
Clueless SW&D poster again, imploring you fine men for advice.
Just picked up a Dries suit for some weddings. It is a very faint plaid print, something that came out very pronounced in the pictures. Anyway, my gut tells me that because the suit has a pattern, I should stick with a plain shirt and tie. If true, what color shirt/tie should I go with? The more options the better...I have 2 weddings on consecutive weekends and I don't want to buy another suit, but another shirt/tie is fine
Hard to really see what the color is - looks like two tones of brown. Maybe a white shirt and solid deep blue tie.

redboat

Reaction score
can someone who knows please advise me--what is the quality of corneliani like? Compared to say, Canali or Zegna or Isaia? about the same or less? reasons would be greatly appreciated!
See suit quality rankings here
http://www.styleforum.net/t/140387/the-styleforum-working-hierarchical-suit-quality-list-sfwhsql/825
Corneliani mainline is ranked at the same level as Canali mainline and below Isaia. You can search the thread for discussions of why this is so.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Actually you can alter the shoulders, but it is expensive. My tailor charges about $160.

Sure, technically you can alter anything. Heck, you could even cut a totally new suit from it. My point is that it never turns out well. Every example of this alteration I have seen has looked off. And, as you pointed out, they are expensive. So, if at all possible, why would someone pay a lot of money to do alterations that are also almost certainly going to screw up the jacket? Just don't buy the ill-fitting jacket to begin with.

If this is an old Huntsman jacket you inherited from your grandfather and you know a fantastic tailor, go for it. But otherwise, stay away.

froughtie

Reaction score
What do you guys think about this combination of colors? Yay or nay?

Also looking for ideas on Pocket Squares (pretty new to this)

Thanks in advance

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ colors not bad... would not go with a solid silk and glossy tie like that ... but far more distracting .... what the hell is that band across the tie?

PS could be anything with shirt or tie color but not too matchy that's all.

Last edited:

froughtie

Reaction score
Thanks, that's just the label on the tie (just bought it tonight and wasn't sure I'd be keeping it, so left it on)

So you think the texture of the tie is the main issue? I chose a solid color because I was trying to avoid over doing it, since the shirt is already pretty busy.

Any suggestions?

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does this look like a 3 roll 2 to you? To me it does, but I really can't be sure---
cool looking coat.. what is that?

waterfowl

Reaction score
I've looked at all of the "are these cordovan threads,: but I can't quite figure out whether these Florsheim's are or not. I got these for not much on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-FLORSHE...buQD%2FUY3NkDqnBnOrKo%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Sellers pictures are pretty good so figured not worth taking my own. I think it is Cordovan...feels too thick to be leather and its got nailed in leather heels and the v-cleat so seems unlikely it would be corrected grain. Seemed to absorb leather conditioner? Can anyone tell? Thanks

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.4%

Forum statistics

Threads