• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

With my Harris tweed the single vent in the back pulls open because of my rather large buttocks. Is there anyway to fix this without making the jacket look odd when worn? It's also only a big issue when I'm walking, if I'm standing around it isn't too bad but after walking it looks like someone cut the jacket apart.

squats?

aglose

Reaction score

That's what caused the problem in the first place. I squat about 400lbs which makes my butt large and pushes the sides of my single vented jackets out a bit more then is probably acceptable.

Last edited:

madmike13

Reaction score
im trying to put together an outfit for an upcoming event and could use some advice. its a cast party for a play i was recently involved in, and the dress code isn't well defined but it seems to be semi-formal or formal type feel (at least it was the last time i went). due to the fact that i haven't really updated anything in the dressier side of my wardrobe since I lost quite a bit of weight i don't have much to work with at the moment so ill be buying stuff. i don't mind spending a little bit but i am a college student on a budget so funds are somewhat limited. here's what im working with:
-i'm about 5'7 160lbs,a bit more muscular than average but not anything spectacular.
-i do have a white dress shirt and grey pinstripe dress pants that i wore at my sisters wedding recently, both from express.

I was thinking of doing a vest/dress pants/dress shirt/tie combo, im decent at color matching (although advice would be appreciated), but im clueless on the finer details of styles.

any advice appreciated

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

im trying to put together an outfit for an upcoming event and could use some advice. its a cast party for a play i was recently involved in, and the dress code isn't well defined but it seems to be semi-formal or formal type feel (at least it was the last time i went).
I was thinking of doing a vest/dress pants/dress shirt/tie combo

The typical cast party to which a college student such as yourself would be invited would more likely feature jeans, than formal or semi-formal dress, but if you've been to one before, and you tell me it'll be formal or semi-formal, I guess I have to believe you. (Although note my comment on formal attire, below.)

Wear your white shirt. Pull on a pair of chinos. Buy an inexpensive navy blazer off eBay. There. The bulk of your work is done, and you haven't spent big money, either.

I'd add a tie, maybe even a bow tie. Almost any tie will be at least tolerable with a white shirt, chinos, and navy blazer.

If you own a pair of loafers, wear 'em. If not, well, shoes that'll work with chinos and a navy blazer aren't all that hard to find; you might already have a suitable pair.

The above is much better than the vest and grey pinstriped dress pants look you mentioned. It'll serve you adequately assuming most of the other male guests at the party are wearing sportcoats, blazers, or casual suits. It won't work if the party's truly formal dress, but I'm going on the assumption that what you call "formal," most of us here would identify as "semi-formal." (If you're not expected to show up in a tuxedo, don't go calling it formal. If you are expected to show up in a tuxedo, then your problem of what to wear is easily solved - wear a tuxedo.)

My experience with cast parties is decades old, and even then it wasn't all that extensive. But generally speaking, they weren't affairs where the most traditional aspects of proper dress were rigidly upheld. Struggling young actors weren't made to feel like buffoons for wearing balmorals instead of derbys, and that's putting it very mildly. Maybe things have changed, or maybe this is a cast party that's going to be covered by tv cameras and the press or something, and super-rich financial backers will be second in abundance only to middle-aged heiresses shopping for new boy toys. But assuming it's not that type of party (a pretty safe assumption), my guess is that you needn't get too stressed out over what to wear.

E TF

Reaction score

Today I got the the Harris Tweed jacket I posted about a few days ago. First impression, the material is quite wonderful, and I feel really comfortable in it. Second impression, it doesn't fit perfectly. Okay, I didn't expect it to in the first place, so that's why I'm here again.
What should and can be altered so that the jacket can fit me better? I got it from eBay for cheap so I really don't mind spending on some alterations.
Sleeves are too short, but other than that, looks pretty good. There is also a tailors' thread specifically for fit questions, though you might want to try taking clearer photos first.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Today I got the the Harris Tweed jacket I posted about a few days ago. First impression, the material is quite wonderful, and I feel really comfortable in it. Second impression, it doesn't fit perfectly. Okay, I didn't expect it to in the first place, so that's why I'm here again.

What should and can be altered so that the jacket can fit me better? I got it from eBay for cheap so I really don't mind spending on some alterations.

The first thing to do it put on a proper shirt and tie, dress shoes and a belt i.e. wear it the way you're going to wear it. You'll get a much better idea of how it's really looking. Then review what E.TF said!

With my Harris tweed the single vent in the back pulls open because of my rather large buttocks. Is there anyway to fix this without making the jacket look odd when worn? It's also only a big issue when I'm walking, if I'm standing around it isn't too bad but after walking it looks like someone cut the jacket apart.

If there is plenty of excess fabric in the side seams and the vent itself, your tailor might be able to let it out a bit, but it's tricky to keep it hanging right. But I suspect it;s just the wrong jacket. I know the centre vent is very common in the US, but it might not be right for your body shape, at least not in standard fits.

madmike13

Reaction score

The typical cast party to which a college student such as yourself would be invited would more likely feature jeans, than formal or semi-formal dress, but if you've been to one before, and you tell me it'll be formal or semi-formal, I guess I have to believe you. (Although note my comment on formal attire, below.)

Wear your white shirt. Pull on a pair of chinos. Buy an inexpensive navy blazer off eBay. There. The bulk of your work is done, and you haven't spent big money, either.

I'd add a tie, maybe even a bow tie. Almost any tie will be at least tolerable with a white shirt, chinos, and navy blazer.

If you own a pair of loafers, wear 'em. If not, well, shoes that'll work with chinos and a navy blazer aren't all that hard to find; you might already have a suitable pair.

The above is much better than the vest and grey pinstriped dress pants look you mentioned. It'll serve you adequately assuming most of the other male guests at the party are wearing sportcoats, blazers, or casual suits. It won't work if the party's truly formal dress, but I'm going on the assumption that what you call "formal," most of us here would identify as "semi-formal." (If you're not expected to show up in a tuxedo, don't go calling it formal. If you are expected to show up in a tuxedo, then your problem of what to wear is easily solved - wear a tuxedo.)

My experience with cast parties is decades old, and even then it wasn't all that extensive. But generally speaking, they weren't affairs where the most traditional aspects of proper dress were rigidly upheld. Struggling young actors weren't made to feel like buffoons for wearing balmorals instead of derbys, and that's putting it very mildly. Maybe things have changed, or maybe this is a cast party that's going to be covered by tv cameras and the press or something, and super-rich financial backers will be second in abundance only to middle-aged heiresses shopping for new boy toys. But assuming it's not that type of party (a pretty safe assumption), my guess is that you needn't get too stressed out over what to wear.

Thanks for the info, in regards to the atmosphere of the party it is pretty atypical compared to similiar events with other groups. this particular group likes to make an event of it if only for the sake of showing off to each other. past events with them ive usually just worn a nice black suit and tie (which is now to large for me) but i was kind of looking to change it up a bit this time. a nicer suit is typically what ive seen in the past. ive even seen a few three piece suits. that said these are all theater/dance types so some of them have gotten creative and theres not really any set dress code or style as its all just an excuse to get dressed up, and the outfit you laid out would likely not be to out of place either.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Sounds to me like you already have a style in mind. Maybe if the blue blazer-and-chinos safety casual doesn't satisfy (although I agree, it's the easiest, most widely pleasing and versatile combo in creation), you should tell us more about what your options are in terms of existing wardrobe and/or budget? It sounds like a little part of you would like to peacock a bit. I empathise. :)

madmike13

Reaction score
guilty as charged on the peacocking. as far as existing options...not much. im kind of in the midst of a slow wardrobe overhaul. my everyday wardrobe is pretty much jeans, t-shirts, a few button-ups and polos not worth mentioning and sweatshirts. ive been hesitant to spend money on a new wardrobe because ive dropped from 200lbs down to 165ish in the past year and a half and wanted to make sure i could keep the weight off. as far as budget goes i have been setting aside some money for nicer clothes so I wouldn't be opposed to spending even up to about $100-200 if its good quality and versatile for future events. as far as what I had in mind, yes ive been looking at a number of things. I was thinking the vest/ dress pants cause I saw a few pics that looked kind of cool, but i've mostly just been browsing at this point. im not really attached to the grey pinstripe pants at all im just putting it out their in case someone has some advice on how to match those.

Last edited:

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Question about pressing / spot cleaning in NYC - there is another thread about this, but posts are from a ways back -

I was unpleasantly surprised after using Madame Paulette for the first time - did a nice job removing a stain from a lapel- but TERRIBLE job pressing the suit - the lapel was pressed as if it were a 3-roll-2 jacket rather than the 2-button jacket that it is.

- Anyone else have this odd problem with m.p.?

- Any recent feedback on Meurice versus Hallak, or other suggestions, preferably East/West Village, for spot cleaning and reliable pressing?

Thank you.
What is the difference in how lapels are pressed for 3-roll-2 vs 2 button?

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
*warning - contains sweeping generalisations*

MM, if you're going to peacock on a budget, maybe you should check out some thrift/charity shops and try to find an interesting (or offensive!) suit that doesn't need too much adjusting. Otherwise, if you have any suit that fits you, then maybe trade up on the shoes and accessories. But the waistcoat and trousers with no jacket thing is a bit low-grade style mag, and makes you look like a bell hop. :)

aglose

Reaction score

The first thing to do it put on a proper shirt and tie, dress shoes and a belt i.e. wear it the way you're going to wear it.  You'll get a much better idea of how it's really looking.  Then review what E.TF said!

If there is plenty of excess fabric in the side seams and the vent itself, your tailor might be able to let it out a bit, but it's tricky to keep it hanging right.  But I suspect it;s just the wrong jacket.  I know the centre vent is very common in the US, but it might not be right for your body shape, at least not in standard fits.

I was thinking I might just try and tack it towards the top of the vent to keep it from opening all the way to the bottom of my shirt and top of my pants. I will have to look and see if there is enough extra fabric.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
That's an option, but I'd ask the experts in the tailoring threads, and maybe show them some pics. If you close it a bit, it might make the jacket ride up a bit at the back which wouldn't look good either.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
incitylimo